There are so many recipes for gnocchi, yet this is a true stand-out. Creamy Potato Gnocchi Recipe with Grilled Asparagus and Grapefruit. This combination makes a fabulous winter-to-spring transitional dish.
It’s a tad bit cold outside, but I’ve gone as long as I can without grilling. This week the grill cover came off! I stood out on my deck, shivering, with grill tongs in hand.
It was a worthwhile adventure. I made a discovering I want to share with you.
So good, I had to give it a fancy font.
Maybe you saw me share it on Instagram last week?
I figured, I’ve grilled every other fruit and vegetable, why not grapefruit? The results were divine.
Grilling grapefruit wedges brings the natural sweetness forward (so no need for a sprinkle of sugar) and makes the flavor really pop in your mouth.
After trying this, I knew I needed to come up with a dish that allowed the grilled grapefruit to shine, like a Gnocchi Recipe with Grilled Asparagus.
So I paired my grapefruit wedges with DeLallo Potato Gnocchi, lightly kissed with cream sauce and tossed with a spring favorite, grilled asparagus.
Grilled asparagus offers that fresh springy feel to this gnocchi recipe, and the grilled grapefruit brings an acidic tang, almost like adding white wine to the cream sauce… but better.
The combination of the pillowy gnocchi, the rich cream sauce, and the grilled asparagus and grapefruit wedges is mind-boggling.
You will die.
Serve each bowl of creamy Gnocchi Recipe with Grilled Asparagus with a wedge or two of grilled grapefruit. Either squeeze the juice over the pasta, or enjoy biting the grapefruit wedges in between bites of pasta and asparagus.
If you are still holding onto rich hearty winter dishes, but itching for spring, this gnocchi recipe is for you!
Gnocchi Recipe with Grilled Asparagus
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 large ripe pink grapefruit
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 pound DeLallo Potato Gnocchi
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken stock (or veggie stock)
- Salt and Pepper
- Chives for garnish
- Place a large pot of salted water over high heat to boil. Preheat the grill to high heat. Place another skillet over medium heat for the cream sauce.
- Trim the white ends of the asparagus. Cut the grapefruit into 8 wedges. Toss the asparagus and grapefruit in oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Add the butter and flour to the skillet and whisk to combine. Saute the "roux" for 1-2 minutes until it starts to turn golden, then whisk in the cream and stock. Allow the sauce to come to a simmer to thicken, then turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, drop the gnocchi into the boiling water. Cook according to the package instructions. Then use a skimmer to ladle the gnocchi into the cream sauce, reserving the pasta water. Toss to coat.
- Grill the asparagus and grapefruit for 2-3 minutes per side, until nice char marks form. Then cut the asparagus into 1 - 1 1/2 inch segments and toss into the pasta. If the sauce has tightened up a bit, add a little pasta water to thin it out.
- Serve each bowl of gnocchi with a wedge or two of grilled grapefruit. Either squeeze the juice over the pasta, or enjoy biting the grapefruit wedges in between bites of pasta and asparagus.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!