Holy Granola! This Almond Joy variation of my homemade granola recipe is amazing! Toasty coconut and almonds, mixed with oats, cocoa, and mini chocolate chips make a marvelous breakfast surprise.
The other day I was craving my homemade granola recipe in the worst way.
All morning long, all I could think about was the sweet cinnamon and oat aroma of hot-baked granola fresh out of the oven. Finally I could bare it no longer. I left my desk, stalked into the kitchen and started pulling necessary items out of the pantry.
Normally when I make my homemade granola recipe, it’s sort of an anything goes, clean-out-the-pantry dish, where I use up all the dried fruit, seeds and nuts that have been sitting around a little too long.
Yet this particular day, I had a mission. And the mission involved chocolate.
Homemade granola is a marvelous breakfast, on it’s own.
Yet when you trick-out granola with cocoa, toasty coconut, almonds, and mini chocolate chips, you’ve got something that is indescribably mouth-watering.
You’ve got Almond Joy Granola!!
This easy Almond Joy Homemade Granola Recipe is soooooooo crunchy-sweet with rich chocolatey bits, and toasty coconut speckled throughout. A little touch of cinnamon and coffee enhance the chocolate flavor, without overpowering the other components of the granola. It’s fantastic served as a quick breakfast with milk (you end up with a little chocolate milk to sip down at the end.)
However, it’s also a divine ice cream sundae topper, served on top of greek yogurt, or as a layer in breakfast (or dessert) parfaits.
Just look at these little beauties!
Here I’ve layered it with fresh sliced strawberries and mascarpone cheese to make a creamy and decadent morning treat.
This Almond Joy Homemade Granola has my kids jumping out of bed in the morning, ready for the first exciting moment of the day, breakfast!
Almond Joy Homemade Granola Recipe
Yield: 6 cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. instant coffee granules
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups large unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pour the oats, almonds, cocoa powder, cinnamon, coffee granules and salt on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the honey and vanilla over the top and mix by hand until thoroughly coated.
- Spread the granola out into a thin even layer. Bake for 10 minutes. Mix with a spatula, spread the granola out again and bake another 10 minutes. Then sprinkle the coconut over the top of the granola and bake another 3-5 minutes to toast. Watch the coconut - it burns very quickly!
- Once the coconut is toasted, remove the granola from the oven and mix. Cool completely, then mix in the mini chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
NOTE: I made the Almond Joy Granola Parfaits with fresh strawberries and slightly sweetened mascarpone cheese.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!