Green Chile Steak Tacos

Easy grilled steak tacos marinated in green chile relish, and piled with lean green toppings like cilantro, scallions, and avocado!

Green Chile Steak Tacos #tacos #steak #mexican

I’ve been in Austin, Texas the last couple days consuming tacos in large quantities with my new friends at Old El Paso.

I know what you’re thinking… my job is really hard.

Taco Truck #austin #freshestbloggers

I’m partnering with Old El Paso this year to create quick and fresh dinners your whole family will love.

To kick off our year of Mexican inspired meals, we took a quick trip to Austin, Texas to go on a Taco Tour with author and taco expert Mando Rayo.

Sommer and Mando

We stayed at the unique Hotel San Jose’ on South Congress Avenue (i.e. SoCo.) It’s a serene oasis right in the middle of all of Austin’s action.

Hotel San Jose - Austin Texas

Mando lead us to 4 of Austin’s 500+ taco stops for what he feels are the best tacos in town. Here’s a map of where we went:  Veracruz All Natural, Joe’s Bakery, Tacodeli, and Al Pastor.

Austin Taco Tour Map

Each location offered a different variety of tacos, from breakfast migas tacos, to bacon and bean tacos, to grilled queso fresco tacos, to the classic al pastor style taco.

Seriously, I could not get enough!

Austin Texas Taco Tour

Old El Paso's #FreshestBloggersYvette, Vianney, Melissa, Me, Christy, Deborah, Ali, Maria, and Jenny

I loved them all, but there’s just something about a good fish taco that makes me sublimely happy. You know?

And the salsas we tried made me want to cry. (Tears of joy, not pain.)

Austin, Texas Taco Tour

Ever seen guys so serious about tacos?

Taco Tour - Austin

After our taco tour, and a little time to work up an appetite, we headed to Silver Whisk’s kitchen to do some cooking of our own.

We spent the evening creating Mexican favorites with a bit of panache, like creamy quesadillas, shrimp tostadas with garlic aioli, strawberry salsa, rainbow nachos, and deep fried sriracha lime ice cream cups.

Cooking Challenge

It’s easy to make marvelous Mexican food when you’re starting with great products.

Did you know Cook’s Illustrated rated Old El Paso Flour Tortillas #1 in taste? Just a little fun fact.

Old El Paso's #FreshestBloggers Taco Tour

To see more of my trip photos, check out my Instagram feed and look for Old El Paso’s hashtag #FreshestBloggers.

Food of Austin

Obviously all this fun involving amazing Tex Mex cuisine, particularly tacos, has only spurred on my serious taco cravings.

These green chile steak tacos offer big bold flavor from Old El Paso Green Chiles. There’re a throw-back to family taco night, with fresh modern flavors and bold ingredients.

How to Make Green Chile Steak Tacos #tacos #steak #mexican

I started by marinating the steak in a green chile relish mixed with zesty garlic and lime zest.

Once the steak has soaked up all the chile goodness, grill the steak to a perfect medium-rare over a hot flame. The green chiles go into a skillet to create a caramelized green chile sauce.

Easy Green Chile Steak Tacos #tacos #steak #mexican

Slice the steak and warm up some soft comforting Old El Paso tortillas. Then place the sliced steak in the tortillas.

Like this…

Simple Green Chile Steak Tacos #tacos #steak #mexican

Pile on your favorite green toppings like creamy avocado slices, zippy green onions, and fresh chopped cilantro. Sprinkle with salty queso fresco and you’ve got a sizzling hot sensation with a clash of cool flavors.

Dinner Tonight: Green Chile Steak Tacos #tacos #steak #mexican

Green chile steak tacos add a bit of OLE’ to the dinner table!

Fab Green Chile Steak Tacos #tacos #steak #mexican

Yield: 10 tacos

Green Chile Steak Tacos

• 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak, 1 inch thick
  • 4.5 ounce can Old El Paso Chopped Green Chiles
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 limes (1 zested)
  • 1 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 cup chopped cilantro
  • 2 avocados
  • 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
  • 1 package Old El Paso Flour Tortillas (10)
  • Salt and pepper

1. Place the steak in a baking dish and top with Old El Paso chopped green chiles, garlic, the zest of one lime, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Rub the mixture over the steak on all sides and set aside.
  2. Preheat the grill to high. Allow the steak to marinate in the green chile relish, while you chop and prepare the remaining ingredients.
  3. Lift the steak out of the green chile relish and place it on the hot grill. Sear for 3-4 minutes per side. Take the steak off the grill and tent it with foil to keep warm. Then sauté the remaining green chile relish in a small skillet until slightly charred, 5-8 minutes on medium-high. Scoop it out of the skillet and place the charred green chile relish on top of the steak.
  4. Slice the limes into wedges. Then place the tortillas on a microwave-safe plate and cover them with a damp paper towel. Heat for 45-60 seconds to warm through. Slice the steak into thin strips, against the grain.
  5. To serve: Place several slices of steak with relish on each warm tortilla, then top with chopped green onions, cilantro, sliced avocado, and crumbled queso fresco. Serve with lime wedges.

Sizzling Green Chile Steak Tacos #tacos #steak #mexican

Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are my own.

34 Responses to “Green Chile Steak Tacos”

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — June 20, 2014 @ 4:37 am

I have been drooling over your IG photos all week! It looks you had such a blast!! And, I am pretty pumped that your taco cravings were spurred…because they looks FAB! Love green chile. Pinned!

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 20, 2014 @ 5:33 am

Such a fun trip and love the cute video! Also that pic with Maria and Jenny cracking up in the background is awesome!! xo

Loretta — June 20, 2014 @ 5:39 am

Austin has always been my our bucket list, so it’s good to know they’ll have good food for us when we finally get there. Because, isn’t food really what trips are about. At least it’s one of our top criteria :)

Love these ultra-green tacos! I’m kicking myself that I didn’t put any cilantro in my garden. Huge oversight!!!

Bri | Bites of Bri — June 20, 2014 @ 6:16 am

Sommer, I’ve been dying over the Instagram pics all week. These tacos look great! Austin is definitely on my must visit list!

Betty Lynne — June 20, 2014 @ 6:26 am

We lived in Texas for two years and the one thing I miss, other than the wonderful people we met there, are the tacos! This recipe definitely got pinned!

Jenny Flake — June 20, 2014 @ 6:28 am

Great combo of flavors Sommer! Sooooo fun spending time with you in Austin this week! xo

Jenny Flake — June 20, 2014 @ 6:31 am

Haha! Didn’t catch my face in the background the first time, lol! Lovely. Lol!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — June 20, 2014 @ 6:53 am

These are the exact tacos I crave that my dad made after living in Mexico!!! YES PLEASE! PS: Umm…no yellow accessories?!

Deborah — June 20, 2014 @ 7:23 am

Ok, these tacos look to die for!! And it was so fun hanging out with you and getting to know you better!

Heather Christo — June 20, 2014 @ 7:29 am

Tacos are the best ever!!! and these look like such an awesome flavor combo!

Kevin @ Closet Cooking — June 20, 2014 @ 7:31 am

I definitely want some of these tacos! What a fun trip!

Toni | BoulderLocavore — June 20, 2014 @ 7:44 am

Delicious Sommer! Really my favorite type of food. Loved all your pics and your GREAT video!

Alexis @ Upside Down Pear — June 20, 2014 @ 9:05 am

These tacos look amazing and kick started my craving for Mexican!! I’m going to have to add this to my recipe list! The trip sounds super fun! I’ve never been to Texas, but this has got me thinking of adding it to my trip list.

Julie @ Table for Two — June 20, 2014 @ 9:51 am

LOVE Austin!! So jealous of your trip! I can’t wait to get back there. These tacos are a great way to re-live Austin!

Emily @ Life on Food — June 20, 2014 @ 10:26 am

Austin is on my bucket list to visit. All those tacos look amazing!!

Jodee Weiland — June 20, 2014 @ 10:49 am

These tacos look absolutely delicious! Full of rich flavors, they are a definite winner! Thanks for sharing!

Gaby — June 20, 2014 @ 2:27 pm

This looks fabulous! Austin is so much fun, love all the photos!

Maria — June 20, 2014 @ 2:43 pm

Such a fun trip! I was in taco heaven:) Loved seeing you! xo

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — June 20, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

Love that green chile relish, these look incredible!

Tieghan — June 20, 2014 @ 4:47 pm

So amazingly YUM!! Love tacos!

Aimee @ Simple Bites — June 21, 2014 @ 5:33 am

Gimmie all the tacos!! Everything sounds amazing. I need to get down to Austin!

Yvette (Muy Bueno) — June 21, 2014 @ 10:28 am

So great to meet you in person! I had a blast in Austin. These tacos look and sound fabulous! Have fun in Italy ;)

Ann — June 22, 2014 @ 5:55 am

Hey, looks like a great trip! Great food, and fun.

marla — June 22, 2014 @ 9:45 am

Mmmmmm…these tacos look great! LOVE Austin too!

Chris — June 22, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

Saw these on twitter earlier and couldn’t wait to get here to see these. Straight up deliciousness going on here.

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — June 23, 2014 @ 8:08 am

That trip looks like it was seriously yummy!!! Love your tacos, too! :)

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — June 23, 2014 @ 8:29 pm

What a yummy looking trip and tacos!

Shaina — June 25, 2014 @ 7:20 pm

These look incredible. It looks like you had a blast!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — June 26, 2014 @ 8:13 am

I just adore Austin and all of the food there. You stayed right near where I was. Such a cool area. Love the video of you… looks like everyone was having a blast.

Anna @ One Prickly Pear — July 12, 2014 @ 2:05 pm

OMG everything looks so delicious – especially those green chile steak tacos. Yum!

1. Pingback: Austin Texas Taco Tour - Picky Palate