celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Potato Latkes with Jalapeño Dill Sauce

Potato Latkes with cool creamy jalapeño Dill Sauce make a marvelous addition to any spring table! Serve Potato Latkes with Jalapeño Dill Sauce at breakfast, as a party snack, or even as a crispy side dish.

I’m a sucker for fried potatoes.

That being said, we don’t eat a lot of fried foods, because if they are sitting in front of me I will not stop eating them until every last crumb is gone.

However, there are exceptions to every rule, and potato latkes are one of them.

Especially in the spring.

Potato Latkes with Jalapeño Dill Sauce #spring #potato #easter #appetizer

Potato latkes are a wonderfully versatile spring dish, bursting with textural appeal. I love making latkes this time of year, when fresh scallions, chive, and ramps are popping up. Mixing fresh onion into the latke batter makes all the difference between boring latkes and irresistible latkes.

I like to add a bit of cornmeal to my potato latkes as well. The cornmeal provides a contrasting texture inside the latkes, and makes the exterior extra crunchy!

Making Crispy Potato Latkes with Jalapeño Dill Sauce #spring #potato #easter #appetizer

I also use fresh spring dill from my herb garden (okay… the one I started inside the house) to make a cool creamy dill sauce to top the potato latkes.

And a little shaved jalapeño in the dill sauce offers heat and intrigue.

How to Make Crispy Potato Latkes with Jalapeño Dill Sauce #spring #potato #easter #appetizer

If you have fresh potatoes to grate, great! Use them to make these Potato Latkes with Jalapeño Dill Sauce. If not, I find using frozen hash browns (thawed of course) works just as well.

Mix the shredded potatoes with egg, cornmeal, and onions. Then scoop little balls of potato batter into hot oil. Flatten with a spatula and fry until golden on both sides.

How To: Crispy Potato Latkes with Jalapeño Dill Sauce #spring #potato #easter #appetizer

These Potato Latkes with Jalapeño Dill Sauce are so addictive.

They’ll make a wonderful addition to your weekend breakfast, a spring picnic, or cocktail night!

Easy Potato Latkes with Jalapeño Dill Sauce #spring #potato #easter #appetizer

Or Easter Brunch, for that matter.

Simple Potato Latkes with Jalapeño Dill Sauce #spring #potato #easter #appetizer

Potato Latkes with Jalapeno Dill Sauce

Yield: 22 latkes

Prep Time:10 minutes

Cook Time:15 minutes

Crispy Potato Latkes with Scallions and Creamy Jalapeño Dill Sauce!

For the Potato Latkes:

• 1 pound shredded potatoes, fresh or thawed freezer hash browns (about 4 cups)
  • 1 cup chopped scallions, greens and whites
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup cornmeal
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Oil for frying (Vegetable, Peanut, Grape Seed)

For the Jalapeño Dill Sauce:

• 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon grated jalapeño
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
  • Salt and Pepper

1. Place a large skillet over medium heat and preheat the oven (or warming drawer) to 200 degrees F. After measuring the potatoes, place them in a sieve over a bowl and press down with paper towels to extract as much of the moisture as possible. Then mix all the latke ingredients thoroughly, in a large bowl. Set aside.
  2. In a small bowl mix the ingredients for the dill sauce. Salt and pepper to taste and put in the fridge until ready to serve.
  3. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the skillet and place it over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, use a 2 tablespoon scoop to scoop the mixture into the skillet. Add 4-6 at a time, depending on the size of your skillet. Use the back of a spatula to flatten each mound into a 2 inch circle. Fry for approximately 2 minutes, then flip and fry another 2 minutes, until both sides are golden and crispy.
  4. Place the crispy potato latkes on a plate lined with a paper towel and place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture and oil. Once all the potato latkes are cooked, serve warm with the jalapeño dill sauce.

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

You May Also Like...

58 Responses to “Potato Latkes with Jalapeño Dill Sauce”

1. Barbara | Creative Culinaryposted April 2, 2014 at 6:44 am

One of my favorite things and the additional of jalapeno sounds divine. I can live without french fries but every now and then I really crave a potato latke (or if desperate, a fried spoonful of leftover mashed potatoes!).

Denver is not in spring mode yet…but I’m ready for fresh herbs and you have made the craving that much worse. In a good way!

• Sommer @ASpicyPerspective — April 2nd, 2014 @ 9:08 am

Thank you Barbara! I guess I should not tell you that it has been in the 70s here for the pass couple of days. ;) I hope Spring arrives soon for you!

2. Tieghanposted April 2, 2014 at 7:01 am

These sounds so good, Sommer! I am still waiting for Spring to arrive, but I will be making these in the meantime!

3. Jennaposted April 2, 2014 at 7:07 am

These sound and look fabulous for Easter brunch!! I love that jalapeno sauce!

4. Christine from Cook the Storyposted April 2, 2014 at 7:16 am

I’ve never seen potatoes so gorgeous before! Fabulous!

5. Aimee @ Simple Bitesposted April 2, 2014 at 7:18 am

Totally my kind of snack, Sommer. Loving that sauce!

6. Julie @ Table for Twoposted April 2, 2014 at 7:23 am

I’m such a potato-holic – these look sooo good. I love how crispy around the edges they get! That dill sauce on top is a great addition to these latkes!

7. Mariaposted April 2, 2014 at 7:32 am

Great any time of the day! And I love the sauce!

8. Kim @ Kim's Healthy Eatsposted April 2, 2014 at 7:57 am

Oh these look yummy! I love the fresh herbs and of course the jalapeno, what great dipping sauce!

9. Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountainposted April 2, 2014 at 7:59 am

Um, these are flipping amazing!!! LOVE!!!

10. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cookingposted April 2, 2014 at 8:05 am

I love making latkes for breakfast once in a while, and that sauce is an amazing addition! Definitely feeding into my spicy cravings lately!

11. Amandaposted April 2, 2014 at 8:07 am

Beautiful dish. I love that you have an indoor herb garden :)

12. Naomiposted April 2, 2014 at 8:20 am

I love latkes and love that you paired it with a dill sauce!

13. marlaposted April 2, 2014 at 8:25 am

Such a creative sauce to dip these in!

14. Jenny Flakeposted April 2, 2014 at 8:25 am

I can practically taste these! They sound so good!!

15. Heather Christoposted April 2, 2014 at 8:26 am

I think that these look absolutely incredible Sommer! Love the jalapeño addition too!

16. Shainaposted April 2, 2014 at 8:47 am

You said ramps, and now all I can think about is how many more weeks I have before I even have a chance of them popping up around here. Patience. Lovely latkes, too.

17. Karlyposted April 2, 2014 at 9:03 am

I kind of want to spread that sauce on top of everything. These look amazing!

18. RavieNomNomsposted April 2, 2014 at 9:42 am

Oh wow, that looks amazing! I love potatoes like this! Delicious!

19. Gabyposted April 2, 2014 at 10:21 am

Just perfect for spring! So delicious!

20. Kathi @ Deliciously Yum!posted April 2, 2014 at 11:24 am

These sound so amazing. Definitely Spring on a plate… any time of the day :). And the sauce is to die for!!

21. Sammi @Sammi Sunshineposted April 2, 2014 at 1:04 pm

When I was very young I read a book about a girl who befriended the german foreign exchange student. When she went to her house for dinner, they served potato latkes! That was the first time I had ever heard of them, and I was fascinated with them! Although that was probably 15 years ago, I have never made potato latkes! I think I should very soon :)

Peace & Sunshine,
    Sammi at Sammi Sunshine- A Food Blog

22. bev @ bevcooksposted April 2, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I could go for a hundred million 47 right about now.

23. Tracey @ Don't Mess with Mamaposted April 2, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Yum! Love that this is gluten free too. I make a similar version with zucchini and it’s delicious. Have you tried substituting arrowroot powder for cornstarch? It’s a great option for those allergic to corn too.

24. ATasteOfMadnessposted April 2, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I also love fried potatoes. I’m the same way with fried food. LOVE.
    This looks so good! I have never made latkes, but I think the spring is definitely the time to start

25. Jersey Girl Cooksposted April 2, 2014 at 6:04 pm

I haven’t had latkes in so long. These look so good with sweet potatoes in them.

26. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabblesposted April 2, 2014 at 6:10 pm

These sound (and look!) so wonderful. I adore fried potatoes, especially with some dill. And with cornmeal…I must try that next time!

27. Jersey Girl Cooksposted April 2, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Somehow I hit the reply button too soon. Love the jalapeno dill sauce and I meant to say they might also be good with sweet potatoes in them :)

28. Julia @Vikalinkaposted April 3, 2014 at 3:42 am

I am so intrigued and excited at the same time about the combination of dill and jalapenos! Those two bring together my Slavic roots and a life long passion for spice! :-) I am so trying these latkes soon!

29. Brian @ A Thought For Foodposted April 3, 2014 at 8:45 am

Yeah… I’m ok with any fried veggie fritters, but for some reason potato latkes always hit the spot. Love the spicy sauce on top!

30. Shainaposted April 3, 2014 at 8:50 am

My youngest has been obsessed with The Latke Who Couldn’t Stop Screaming for his bedtime story lately. I’m going to have to make these for him for a spring take on latkes.

31. Hiral Shahposted April 3, 2014 at 10:12 am

Hi, can you please tell me a substitute for the eggs. Thanks!

32. Christine @ Cooking with Cakesposted April 3, 2014 at 11:02 am

I am late to this jalapeno-dill sauce love fest but YES! these look absolutely scrumptious – pinning!

33. Ariposted April 3, 2014 at 10:33 pm

The recipe sounds good. I see that you mentioned it would be great to have at an Easter lunch. Since you mention a religious holiday in your post, I would also like to point out that in traditional Jewish culture, the potato pancake a.k.a potato latke is served during the Hanukkah holiday which pops up between thanksgiving and new years.

Also, in spring the Jewish holiday of Passover is celebrated, which involves a fast from risen breads. Potato pancakes being another staple food in the celebration of this holiday.

34. Annposted April 4, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Hi, I am in the UK and would like to know what your cornmeal looks like, colour and texture, or can you give me the brand so I can make sure I use the right stuff, as we sometimes have the same name for completely different things!
    Kind regards.

• Sommer — April 5th, 2014 @ 12:30 pm

Hi Ann, It’s just dried coarsely ground corn – white or yellow. It might be considered corn flour where you live, but it’s usually not as fine as corn flour here. It’s also not as coarse as polenta or grits.

35. Denise Gonzalezposted April 10, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Oh my, oh my!! These are so tasty. Super scrumptious!!! And they were really easy. The whole family really enjoyed them. Thank you for this wonderful recipe… it is going into regular rotation on our menus.

36. Pingback: Most Popular Mashed Potato Latke Recipes on Social Media

37. Shannonposted December 16, 2014 at 4:20 pm

First time I have made AND tasted a latke. This was sooooooooo yummy and easy! I had stone ground grits, so added those. Nice and crunchy. Only problem is that I have to wait 2 hours for my husband to come home and try them. I want to eat them all!
    The sauce is very nice. Not that spicy, so could add more jalepeno.
    I have an onion allergy, so added cheese instead. Scrumptious!