Baked Ham with Brown Sugar Glaze
Classic Baked Ham with zesty brown sugar ham glaze that adds a punch of flavor. Baked Ham is a marvelous meal to serve on Easter weekend, or any weekend for that matter!
Baked ham is one of those dishes that has a reputation for being hard or complicated to make, but nothing could be further from the truth.
I’m not sure who first started spreading these nasty rumors… I have a feeling part of the responsibility goes to marketers at certain national ham shops, but who’s to say.
A good baked ham needs nothing more than a sweet flavorful glaze (or rub) and some time in the oven.
I like to start with a simple brown sugar ham glaze, then spruce it up with a whole lot of flavor. One of my favorite brown sugar ham glaze recipes combines brown sugar with whole grain mustard, brandy, cumin, and coriander.
The sweet boozy note of the brandy enhances the brown sugar and complements the spicy twang of the mustard. It’s a heavenly blend to rub over the baked ham.
I like to lay the ham flat-side-down, so the entire exterior can get a good coating of glaze.
Score the ham so the brown sugar ham glaze can works its magic into the meat while baking. Then pour and rub the glaze over the ham.
Remember, generally you would start with a smoked ham, so the meat is already cooked through. We’re just trying to warm the ham to the center and create a nice crust on the outside.
Once it’s had some time to lounge in the oven, your baked ham will be dark and crispy-sweet on the outside, yet moist and smoky on the inside.
A simple baked ham with brown sugar ham glaze is just what I crave for Sunday dinner with my family. No one is ever disappointed with a thick slice of juicy baked ham and some southern sides!
Yield: 12+ servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Baked Ham with Brown Sugar Ham Glaze
- 8-10 lb. smoked ham
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 2 Tb. whole grain mustard
- 1 Tb. cornstarch
- 1 Tb. ground cumin
- 1 Tb. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and lay the ham on it flat-side-down.
- Score the ham with cuts one inch apart and 1/4 inch deep. Do this in two directions creating a grid pattern over the entire surface of the ham.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the remaining ingredients for the glaze. Rub half the glaze over the surface of the ham and bake for 45 minutes.
- Pull the ham out of the oven. Rub the rest of the glaze over ham and place back in the oven for another 45 - 75 minutes, or until the exterior is dark and crusty and the ham is warmed through.
Like what you see? SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email.
25 Responses to “Baked Ham with Brown Sugar Glaze”
Pingback: Easter Main Course | Pinterest Favorites