Savory Waffle Sandwiches
Savory Waffle Sandwiches loaded with sizzling bacon, eggs, cheese and fresh sliced heirloom tomatoes. This crispy cornmeal and herb waffle recipe makes a killer waffle sandwich base for any filling you like!
Saturday morning breakfast is a real treat in our house.
After a week of quickie breakfast options like scrambled eggs, toast, granola, and smoothies, we’re ready for something a little more exciting. Something with texture and contrasting flavors…
Waffles are always at the top of the list, dripping with butter and syrup. But lately we’ve been turning my favorite waffle recipe into all sorts of savory creations.
Like Savory Waffle Sandwiches.
I just LOVE this savory waffle recipe made with cornmeal, fresh chopped herbs and sweet creamy Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil. I’m excited to share that I’ve partnered again with Land O’Lakes and other blogger friends for Kitchen Conversations. We’re going to keep bringing you more recipes like this that feature simple, buttery goodness.
The addition of cornmeal, melted butter, seltzer water and a secret ingredient cornstarch, makes these waffles tender on the inside and crispy on the outside.
They’re just the perfect flavor and texture for building all sorts of sandwiches.
The key is to place the batter in a hot waffle iron and let it cook until the majority of the steam has stopped pouring out. That means the waffle is flawlessly cooked. Then lift the waffle out and place it in a warm oven to retain its crispy texture. (The worst thing you can do for waffles is stack them on a plate and cover them up… Sog city.)
Once all your waffles are cooked to crispy perfection, load them up with your favorite fillings.
We made our Savory Waffle Sandwiches with sizzling hot bacon, fried eggs, melted pepper jack cheese and a slice of fresh heirloom tomato. Then we dolloped a spoonful of creamy, spreadable Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil on top, for a little touch of indulgence.
This simple wonder ingredient (butter + olive oil + salt) is so smooth and rich, it gives each sandwich that little extra something to accentuate the texture of the waffle. Plus Land O Lakes® Spreadable Butter with Olive Oil is so easy to use right out of the fridge, it’s become one of my favorite go-to ingredients.
Don’t like fried eggs?
You can fill your waffle with anything you like.
Why Not Try:
Bacon + Butter Lettuce + Tomato + Avocado
Sausage Patty + Sharp Cheddar
Cream Cheese + Roasted Red Peppers + Thinly Slice Endive
Scrambled Eggs + Smoked Gouda + Sliced Ham
Scrambled Eggs + Black Beans + Pico De Gallo + Queso Fresco
The possibilities are endless!
Last week I had the opportunity to share this waffle sandwich recipe with some really special friends… A group I’ve nicknamed the butter babes.
My blogger friends and I headed out to Pawhuska, Oklahoma to visit Ree Drummond AKA The Pioneer Woman (Have you heard of her?) who is also a fan of Land O Lakes® Butter.
Many of you know I grew up in Oklahoma, so it was a comfort to spend a few days where the wind comes sweepin’ down the plain.
We watched the wild horses that live on Ree’s ranch.
And got up close and personal with her cows.
Ree has a way with them…
I think they realize just how much she appreciates butter.
At the lodge we tasted everyone’s buttery creations.
And taste-tested spreadable butters, just for fun.
Land O Lakes® Cinnamon Sugar Butter Spread, is certainly good enough to eat off a spoon.
We also had our very own Cook Off, kind of like Chopped. We partnered-up and drew secret ingredients out of a hat.
Julie and I made Smoky Shrimp Skewers with Harissa Butter and Chia Seed Quinoa.
Don’t let the smiles and laughter mislead you… these are two serious competitors.
And the judges were tough. Really tough. *wink*
We also got a tour of Ree’s current project “The Building” in Pawhuska.
She has big plans for this amazing space!
But the best part of the day was simply spending time with friends and enjoying good food.
We ate a LOT of good buttery food. Thanks for inviting us out Ree and Land O’Lakes!
Yield: 8 sandwiches
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
For the Waffle Recipe:
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped herbs (I used 1/4 cup chive, 1/8 cup dill, 1/8 cup parsley)
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons melted Land O Lakes® Butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup seltzer water
- 8 cooked bacon strips
- 8 slices heirloom tomatoes
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 8 eggs, cooked to order
- 8 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil
- Preheat your waffle iron and the oven to 200 degrees F. In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients for the waffle recipe, including the garlic and herbs. Then whisk in the eggs, melted Land O'Lakes butter, and buttermilk. When the waffle iron is hot, whisk in the seltzer water, not before.
- Pour just enough waffle batter into the waffle iron to completely coat the bottom. Close the waffle iron and cook for 3 minutes, or until most of the steam stops coming out of the sides.
- Remove the waffle and repeat with the remaining batter. You should be able to make four large 8 inch waffles that break into four sections. Set the waffles in the warm oven, directly on the rack, so they stay crispy.
- To make the waffle sandwiches, break the waffles along the dividing lines. Place a slice of tomato followed by a slice of cheese on eight pieces of waffle. Then place a hot fried egg on each sandwich, followed by a slice of crispy bacon. Top with another piece of waffle and a dollop of creamy Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil. Serve warm!
More Buttery Dishes from my friends
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Land O Lakes® Butter. All opinions are my own.
Get a FREE GIFT when you SUBSCRIBE to receive new posts by email: