Cornmeal Cookies. My very best sugar cookie recipe kissed with cornmeal and lime. So simple, yet so unique! You’ve got to try these…
A cookie is like an edible smile.
Tuck one in a lunch box (or your pocket) and it’s guaranteed to make your heart jump with joy later in the day.
Sometimes I want a rich decadent chocolatey cookie. Yet most of the time I crave simple cookies, like shortbread, or my very best sugar cookie recipe.
We make numerous variations of sugar cookies. In fact, I’d be embarrassed to start counting.
Just know, sugar cookies are my specialty, so I feel like I have the best sugar cookie recipe ever. And I’ll throw punches at anyone who says otherwise. *wink*
My latest sugar cookie variation is soft and tender Cornmeal Cookies.
Made from the dough of my best sugar cookie recipe, I simply subbed some of the flour for yellow cornmeal and added fresh lime zest.
The earthy quality of the cornmeal mixed with the bright limey essence is a match made in heaven.
Plus the texture… swoon!
The cornmeal adds a hearty grain texture that blends perfectly into the soft pillowy dough.
I could eat these cookies all day long.
Wait… I DID eat these all day long. And each one was better than the last!
Yield: 18 cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes (active time)
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Best Sugar Cookie Recipe with Cornmeal
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Zest of one lime
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup 100% yellow cornmeal + extra for rolling (not cornmeal mix)
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Then beat in the salt, lime zest, egg, and vanilla. Once blended, slowly add the flour, followed by the cornmeal. Scrape the bowl and beat again for just a few seconds to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (or 350 convection) and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Dump the dough out onto large piece of foil and use the foil to shape the dough into a 9 1/2 inch log, about 2 inches thick. Wrap well and freeze for at least 30 minutes to firm up the dough.
- When ready to bake, open the foil and sprinkle cornmeal over and around the dough log. Roll it back-and-forth to coat the log on all sides. Then cut the log into 16-18 equal slices. Lay the cookies on the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes until just barley golden on the edges, but soft in the middle. (7-8 minutes convection.) Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet completely before moving.
SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email + Our FREE eCookbook Top 25 Recipes!
24 Responses to “Cornmeal Cookies”
Pingback: The Ides of March. |