celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Raw Beet and Sweet Potato Salad

Like your dinner in the raw? Then you are going to LOVE this colorful beet salad! Beet and sweet potato salad, sprinkled with scallions and pepitas, is bright, crunchy, and packed with vitamins.

Raw Beet and Sweet Potato Salad #salad #healthy #raw #sweetpotatoes #beets

My kids will eat just about anything nowadays.

But when they were really little, I had to get creative to hide veggies in their meals and snacks.

I would make muffins with grated zucchini and carrots in the batter, puree veggies to put into soup, chili and sauce bases, and come up with tricky names for veggies dishes to make them more appealing.

One of my favorite raw dishes to serve was veggie noodles. Shaving raw vegetables into long strands made them so much more palatable to the kids… and often the grownups, for that matter.

Making Raw Beet and Sweet Potato Salad #salad #healthy #raw #sweetpotatoes #beets

Today’s beet and sweet potato salad using veggie noodles is not only visually stimulating, it’s tantalizing to the taste buds, and so good for you.

I used a veggie spiralizer to cut the sweet potatoes and beets into long curly ribbons. If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can use a standard veggie peeler to shave thin short ribbons of beet and sweet potato. Or buy one on Amazon for just over $20!

This is a great way to serve raw vegetables in a not-so-common way.

The beets and sweet potatoes offer serious crunch and sweetness. Toss in a little zip from the scallions and nutty richness from toasted pepitas and you’ve got something pretty spectacular!

Easy Raw Beet and Sweet Potato Salad #salad #healthy #raw #sweetpotatoes #beets

I like to serve this beet salad with a simple oil and vinegar dressing, or with yesterday’s 5 Minute Fix recipe, Creamy Garlic Lime Dressing. Either way, you cannot lose.

A spiralizer can turn any vegetable into an adventure!

{Raw} Beet and Sweet Potato Salad

Yield: 4-6 servings

• 2 large sweet potatoes
  • 1 bunch beets (3-4)
  • 4 scallions
  • 1/2 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkins seeds)
  • Garlic Lime Vinaigrette

1. Peel the sweet potatoes and beets. Then use a spiralizer to cut the veggies into long curly strips. Use a pair of kitchen sheers to cut the pieces into manageable lengths.
  2. Mix the beet and sweet potato ribbons together in a large bowl. Then cut the scallion tops on an angle to make long rings. Sprinkle the salad with scallions and pepitas. Serve with your favorite vinaigrette.

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

You May Also Like...

32 Responses to “Raw Beet and Sweet Potato Salad”

1. Ali @ Inspiralizedposted March 12, 2014 at 6:28 am

Great use of the spiralizer! This recipe is beautiful – I pinned it to my “Spiralized, but not Inspiralized” board!

2. Jeanette | Jeanette's Healthy Livingposted March 12, 2014 at 6:45 am

Love how naturally beautiful this salad is Sommer!

3. Tieghanposted March 12, 2014 at 7:27 am

So pretty, Sommer!! I have to give beets a try, I just love their color!

4. Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountainposted March 12, 2014 at 7:43 am

Stunning colors!! I really need to get my mitts on one of these spiralizer!

5. Julie @ Table for Twoposted March 12, 2014 at 8:11 am

This is SO SO pretty, Sommer!! Really – the colors are so vibrant. It’s almost too beautiful to eat!!

6. Heather Christoposted March 12, 2014 at 9:12 am

First of all, i seriously just clicked over and bought one of those spiralizers- mine is majorly subpar. This salad is BEAUTIFUL!!!

7. Shainaposted March 12, 2014 at 11:25 am

This is so lovely, and it’s a wonderful way to take those root vegetables from winter and transform them into something that feels a bit more like spring.

8. marlaposted March 12, 2014 at 11:39 am

Such a pretty, swirly salad!

9. Sandy @ ReluctantEntertainerposted March 12, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I adore beets. Love this beautiful combination, girl!

10. Norma | Allspice and Nutmegposted March 12, 2014 at 12:38 pm

This is so pretty!

11. alison @ Ingredients, Inc.posted March 12, 2014 at 2:00 pm

LOVE THIS

12. Rachael | Spache the Spatulaposted March 12, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I adore the colorful swirls! I may just have to purchase that spiralizer!

13. Jackie {The Beeroness}posted March 12, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I’ve been dying for one of those veggie spirals. Now it’s a must. This looks fantastic!

14. Gabyposted March 12, 2014 at 5:02 pm

This looks fabulous! I have to try it!

15. Jenny Flakeposted March 14, 2014 at 6:18 am

Such a gorgeous salad! I’ve been wanting a spiralizer forever, I think now is the time :)

16. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabblesposted March 14, 2014 at 9:22 am

I think I need to try a spiralizer. Beautiful salad, Sommer!

17. Maggie Unzueta @ Mama Maggie's Kitchenposted March 14, 2014 at 9:54 am

I’m not a beet fan. My mother would give it to us raw as a kid. My brother and I have a terrible beet phobia, but I can swallow it baked or in smoothies. I never thought I would actually WANT to eat beets until now.

18. Josieposted March 14, 2014 at 7:56 pm

This has got to be one of the prettiest salads I’ve ever seen! I love shredded raw beets in my salads, so this is just taking it one step further. Seriously, nothing compares to the gorgeous color of beets!

19. Lindaposted March 15, 2014 at 6:45 am

I was inspired and ordered one of these spiralizers. It arrived yesterday. I can’t wait to play with it today. Awesome!

Linda

20. Nutmeg Nannyposted March 15, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Oh I love this :) so beautiful and vibrant! I can’t wait to try it

21. Pingback: Weekly Wants | Spache the Spatula

22. Sylvie | Gourmande in the Kitchenposted March 19, 2014 at 2:43 am

I love my spiralizer, it’s so much fun to make noodles out of everything.

23. Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onionposted March 19, 2014 at 7:01 am

I love beets , and I usually get a similar salad at my local restaurant. It will be nice to try it at home. Thanks

24. Nicoleposted March 24, 2014 at 7:39 pm

This is absolutely gorgeous! I have been dying to get a spiralizer. I just haven’t been able to justify taking up more of my limited kitchen space … yet!

25. Becca from ItsYummi!posted April 1, 2014 at 8:46 am

Oh my gosh, Sommer… this is STUNNING! Pinned and Stumbled :)

26. Kimposted April 11, 2014 at 12:59 pm

The colors are beautiful! I have to buy one of those tools

27. Jessiposted November 9, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Lovely! But how does raw sweet potato taste?? Is it okay to eat raw?

• Sommer — November 9th, 2014 @ 11:49 pm

Hi Jessi, The raw sweet potatoes are crunchy and sweet. Not quite as sweet as cooked, but they still offer a really great flavor!

28. colleenposted January 1, 2015 at 10:55 pm

do the beets stain the spiralizer?

• Sommer — January 2nd, 2015 @ 7:35 am

Good question! I usually rinse mine off immediately and it looks good as new.

29. Pingback: 17 Delicious and Healthy #Spiralizer Recipes - Nest Full of New

30. Heaganposted March 29, 2015 at 1:54 pm

hi! Going to take this dish to Easter dinner. How does it do in the refridgerator for a few hours? Would the spiralized sweet potatoes and beets do ok ? Should I leave off the dressing until right before serving?