Raspberry Roulade with Chocolate Ganache

Want to try something new this Valentines Day? How about serving a vanilla bean roulade cake, filled with sweet raspberry cream and covered in thick chocolate ganache

Roulade - Chocolate Ganache Covered Raspberry Cream Roulade Cake! #valentinesday #cake #spring #chocolate

It’s always fun to pull out a dessert that no one is expecting. Cookies or ice cream are easy standbys, but a ROULADE….

Now that is something special!

Roulade cakes are fairly common around the holidays, the heavy hitter being the yule log. But I always think of a roulade as more of a spring cake.

How to Make a Roulade  - Chocolate Ganache Covered Raspberry Cream Roulade Cake! #valentinesday #cake #spring #chocolate

I know, I know… it’s not really spring yet.

But let’s face it, we’re all wishing for spring.

And Valentine’s Day seems like it’s walking-the-line between winter and spring. So I just went for it.

Making a Roulade  - Chocolate Ganache Covered Raspberry Cream Roulade Cake! #valentinesday #cake #spring #chocolate

Roulade cakes are made from a very pliable sponge cake batter. In fact the main liquid is egg, not oil or melted butter, so they really need the filling for moisture.

In today’s cake, I started with a vanilla bean sponge cake, and made a thick raspberry filling to add flavor, moisture, and visual appeal.

Making Chocolate Ganache Covered Raspberry Cream Roulade Cake! #valentinesday #cake #spring #chocolate

I made a dense raspberry paste over the stovetop, then beat it into a butter and sugar mixture for a thick cream that can stand up under pressure. Literally.

Then I rolled it into a roulade…

Easy Chocolate Ganache Covered Raspberry Cream Roulade Cake! #valentinesday #cake #spring #chocolate

Like this.

Easy Roulade  - Chocolate Ganache Covered Raspberry Cream Roulade Cake! #valentinesday #cake #spring #chocolate

And doused the whole thing in rich decadent chocolate ganache.

Like this.

The chocolate ganache counter-balances the light airy quality of the sponge cake and filling, for a marvelous treat anyone would be thrilled to taste.

Slice it into whimsical pinwheels to serve your sweetheart or family.

Gorgeous Chocolate Ganache Covered Raspberry Cream Roulade Cake! #valentinesday #cake #spring #chocolate

Or if cupid did you wrong this year, pick the whole damn thing up with two hands like a giant raspberry filled hoho and get after it.

We won’t tell.

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1-3 Tb. milk, if needed

For the Chocolate Ganache:

• 6 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 Tb. corn syrup

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, line a 10X15 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper (fitted to the bottom) and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Slice the vanilla bean open length-wise and scrape out the seed paste. Add all the ingredients for the sponge cake to a bowl, including the vanilla bean paste. Discard the pod. Mix well and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Spread evenly over the bottom and bake for approximately 15 minutes, until golden.
  2. Meanwhile, start the cream filling. Add the raspberries to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir to break up the raspberries until very juicy, then add the flour. Whisk until there are no lumps. Then heat over medium, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens into a thick paste. Remove from heat and place pan in the fridge to cool.
  3. As soon as the sponge cake comes out of the oven. Spray another piece of parchment paper with cooking spray and flip the cake out onto it. Gently roll the cake, from the short end, into a log. Then tie the log with twine so it stays tight. Leave the cake to cool.
  4. Back to the filling: Beat the butter and sugar in a clean mixing bowl, for 5-7 minutes, until fluffy and glossy. Once the raspberry paste is cool add it to the butter mixture and beat until smooth. If the cream filling seems too dense add 1-3 Tb. of milk and beat again. Now unroll the cooled cake and spread the filling even over it.
  5. Roll the cake back into a log and place in the refrigerator to set. For the chocolate ganache, bring the cream to a boil in a small saucepan. As soon as it reaches a light boil, remove it from the heat and add the chopped chocolate. Allow the chocolate to sit in the hot cream for 5-8 minutes, then stir until smooth. Stir in 1 tablespoon of corn syrup to make the ganache shiny. Then place the roulade on a cooling rack and pour the chocolate ganache over the top. Allow the ganache to set before moving.

27 Responses to “Raspberry Roulade with Chocolate Ganache”

DessertForTwo — February 12, 2014 @ 7:59 am

bahahaha! If cupid did you wrong… I love that!

This is a beautiful dessert. I really want to try it. I’d love to surprise my husband with a non-dessert for two. I think he gets a little tired of 4 bites. He wants a whole cake!

Jenny Flake — February 12, 2014 @ 7:59 am

What a perfect Valentine Dessert! That chocolate ganache is killing me!!! Mmm :)

Kevin @ Closet Cooking — February 12, 2014 @ 8:21 am

So pretty! I love the raspberry and chocolate combo!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — February 12, 2014 @ 8:26 am

I’m just going to lay out under that cookie rack and catch all of that drippy ganache in my face. Don’t mind me.! This is divine Sommer, I’ve always wanted to try a roulade!

• Sommer — February 13th, 2014 @ 8:21 am

Bahahaha! I was tempted to do that myself!

Jeanette | Jeanette's Healthy Living — February 12, 2014 @ 8:30 am

What a cheery dessert! I haven’t made a rolled cake in years, but I remember how fun they were.

Maria — February 12, 2014 @ 8:52 am

Love this dessert!

Heather Christo — February 12, 2014 @ 8:55 am

What an impressive and beautiful Dessert Sommer- my family would go bonkers if I served this up to them!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — February 12, 2014 @ 9:24 am

Oh.my.word. Sommer, this looks amazing!! You’ve got mad baking skills girl!

Sandy @ ReluctantEntertainer — February 12, 2014 @ 9:30 am

Heaven. I’d be in heaven, for sure. Great recipe, Sommer!

Julie @ Table for Two — February 12, 2014 @ 10:08 am

This is such a pretty dessert!! I love that pink filling!

Angie — February 12, 2014 @ 10:08 am

What a cute Valentine’s day treat!

Melanie @ Carmel Moments — February 12, 2014 @ 10:15 am

How cute! I haven’t made a rolled cake in forever. This is perfect for V-day!

Courtney @ Neighborfood — February 12, 2014 @ 11:37 am

Chocolate ganache is my love language. I can’t resist anything that’s dripping with ganache. I think you nailed the winter/spring line here. Dark chocolate, raspberries, light sponge cake…it’s just perfect!

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — February 12, 2014 @ 1:54 pm

Oh my heart is actually fluttering when I look at the photo. Raspberry and chocolate is my favorite.

Gaby — February 12, 2014 @ 4:44 pm

So pretty! Absolutely perfect!

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody) — February 12, 2014 @ 10:37 pm

Your roulade rolling skills are enviable, not a single crack. That ganache looks drinkable, yum!

Tieghan Gerard — February 12, 2014 @ 10:55 pm

It is perfect! Amazing job, Sommer! This look delicious!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — February 13, 2014 @ 1:12 pm

I just might go the giant ho-ho route with this thing. SO YUM.

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — February 13, 2014 @ 3:47 pm

a sweet roulade?! I love this!!!!! maybe sprinkle some chopped almonds on top? I’m a texture freak who always loves a little crunch :)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 13, 2014 @ 3:52 pm

Absolutely gorgeous, and so festive for V-Day! I love that pretty pink swirl. Makes me wanna have a tea party or something!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — February 14, 2014 @ 9:47 am

This is so very pretty! And the flavors are killer. Happy Valentine’s Day to you and yours!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — February 14, 2014 @ 10:21 am

So beautiful and elegant! The raspberry filling looks fabulous!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — February 14, 2014 @ 3:26 pm

Who could resist that raspberry filling and chocolate ganache?!

Nutmeg Nanny — February 20, 2014 @ 3:49 pm

This is so pretty!! I would love to get a taste of this :) yum!

Lana M — March 6, 2014 @ 3:42 pm

Thank you so much for the recipe. I used blueberries instead of raspberries and it came out great! Also, used coconut butter instead of regular butter. It was delicious. Thank you!

1. Pingback: Raspberry Mini Muffins {Valentine’s Day Treats}