Steak and Mushroom Pizza with Spicy Mustard
If you’re crazy for crust, today’s homemade pizza is going to be the highlight of your day. A meaty pizza, loaded with new york strip, spicy mustard, and sautéed mushrooms and shallots. I suggest doubling the recipe from the get-go.
No one is ever happier in my house than when we make homemade pizza.
My family could be watching a favorite movie, playing a favorite game, or reading a favorite book, but if I say I’m thinking about making homemade pizza, all former activities are dropped and family members come running.
I’ve made this non-traditional pizza recipe again and again for parties and events.
Everyone loves the combination of thinly sliced new york strip steak and sautéed mushrooms. Yet the real kicker on this homemade pizza is the spicy mustard!
That’s right. I skipped the pizza sauce all together and added a thin layer of spicy whole grain mustard.
We have a locally-made favorite mustard called Lusty Monk, that will singe your nose hairs right off, but you can use any whole grain mustard you choose.
After the mustard is spread on the pizza crust, top it with soft caramelized crimini mushrooms and shallots, followed by a generous portion of thinly sliced new york strip.
Then lightly sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
I like to think of the cheese as more of a garnish on this pizza. It’s really all about the mustard, new york strip and mushrooms. The amalgamation of the three, along with a bubbly crust, makes for a fabulous pizza no one can resist!
Yield: 1 large pizza
Prep Time: 30 minutes (active time)
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Homemade Pizza + Mustard + New York Strip
- 1 lb. pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced thin
- 3-4 shallots, sliced thin (1 1/4 cup)
- 2 Tb. butter
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 1/4 cup spicy whole grain mustard
- 8 oz. new york strip steak, sliced thin against the grain
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F and place a pizza stone in the oven to heat. On a piece of parchment paper, roll out (or stretch) the pizza crust into a large 14 inch circle. Brush the pizza crust with 1 tablespoon olive oil and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat, and add the butter, sliced crimini mushrooms and sliced shallots. Salt and pepper to taste. Then stir and saute for 10-12 minutes, until the onions and mushrooms are soft and slightly caramelized.
- Re-stretch the pizza crust and spread a thin layer of spicy mustard over the top of the crust. Then spread the sauteed onions and mushrooms over the mustard. Place pieces of thinly sliced steak over the mushrooms, followed by a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Using a flat baking sheet or pizza paddle, slide the pizza onto the hot pizza stone and bake for 7-10 minutes until the edges are bubbled and crusty. Remove the pizza from the oven and sprinkle with fresh scallions before slicing and serving.
SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email + Our FREE eCookbook Top 25 Recipes!