Flammkuchen + A Culinary Adventure!

Today my friend Kirsten is sharing one of her favorite recipes with us, plus a culinary travel opportunity you are going to want to plan for!

Flammkuchen 3

Hello everybody. I am Kirsten, a foodblogger friend of Sommer’s from Colorado. I share my German and French influenced dishes over at My Kitchen in the Rockies. Thank you so much Sommer for having me today.

I am a native German with a pharmaceutical background and have been living with my family in Colorado since 1998. My second passion, besides food is traveling. Last year I had the opportunity to combine both and offer my firsts culinary adventure to my home region in Germany and France. This trip was a huge success with my American guests and I am thrilled to offer it again in October 2014.

Strasbourg Collage

We will travel to Heidelberg, Baden Baden and Strasbourg and experience the regional cuisine first hand through lessons at local cooking schools and dining at close by restaurants.

Heidelberg Collage

We will also spend time wine tasting along the German wine road, watching a traditional wine parade in the Black Forrest area and taking guided walking tours to the historical sites in each visited town.

Deidesheim Collage

Interested in joining me?

You can find more detailed information regarding this trip here.

To give you a taste sample of the trip’s culinary treats I would like to share with you some Flammkuchen which is a dish served all over the southwestern part of Germany and the French Alsace region around Strasbourg.

Depending on the region, this dish can be called in Alsatian Flammekueche, in German Flammkuchen, or in French tarte flambée. The name itself comes from the method of baking, the English translation of the original Alsatian name being “baked in the flames.”

Flammkuchen 1

Flammkuchen can be compared to a yeast free thin crust pizza that is traditionally topped with crème fraiche, bacon, onions and chives. The shape can be round or rectangular and it is baked in a wood fired oven over very high heat. This method gives the Flammkuchen its characteristic crispy crust.

Like every regional specialty, this classic dish can be prepared in many different ways. I have seen Flammkuchen served with a variety of toppings including mushrooms, cheese or even tomatoes, but prefer the traditional preparation the best.

Flammkuchen 2

Flammkuchen is best served with a German or Alsatian Spaetburgunder (Pinot Noir) and a fresh green salad.

I hope you all enjoyed today’s culinary excursion to Germany and France. Sommer, thank you so much again for giving me the opportunity to share my upcoming culinary adventure with your readers.

Yield: 4 servings

Flammkuchen

For the dough:

• 4 1/4 cups (500 g) flour
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 cup (250 ml) water
  • 4-5 Tablespoons vegetable oil, preferably safflower oil

For the toppings:

• 16 ounces (450 g) creme fraiche, or good sour cream
  • 12 ounces (675 g) bacon, cut in small cubes
  • 2 onions, quartered and sliced very thinly
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 6-8 green onions, chopped

1. Combine all the dough ingredients until a smooth non sticky dough forms. This can be done by hand or in a standmixer with the dough hook attachment.
  2. Wrap dough with plastic foil and let rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
  3. Preheat your oven to 425 F. (Preheat pizza stone inside the oven if available.)
  4. Mix creme fraiche with nutmeg and season with pepper and salt. Set aside.
  5. Divide dough into for equal parts.
  6. Roll each dough piece into a thin 14 inch circle or a rectangle of equal size. This is best done over some parchment paper to make for an easier transfer of the finished pie.
  7. Spread creme fraiche evenly over the dough and layer with onions and bacon.
  8. Transfer tarts to baking sheets or the hot pizza stone.
  9. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the tarts are done and the edges are brown. Baking times may vary.
  10. Sprinkle with green onions before serving

Author: Kirsten | My Kitchen in the Rockies

19 Responses to “Flammkuchen + A Culinary Adventure!”

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — February 20, 2014 @ 6:11 am

I love this!! I traveled to Germany in 2001 and was blown away by the beauty of the country.

Gretchen Dalrymple — February 20, 2014 @ 7:25 am

Love it. I have lived in Germany several times and Austria too. My favorite part of travel in Europe is tasting all the food and going to the local markets.

Betty Lynne — February 20, 2014 @ 7:26 am

Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos! And this crust looks interesting. Can’t wait to try it!

Amanda @ All day Active — February 20, 2014 @ 7:30 am

This looks fantastic! I love finding authentic recipes from other countries. I will definitely be trying this one with my family :) Thanks so much for sharing!!

Kiki C. — February 20, 2014 @ 8:02 am

Thanks for sharing this recipe and beautiful pictures. Hubs and I lived in Germany 5 years and enjoyed the country and the tasty cuisine. My sister in law made this as a tart on puff pastry during the holidays and now I know the background.

• Kirsten | My Kitchen in the Rockies — February 20th, 2014 @ 9:45 am

Kiki, I have also seen recipes with puff pastry, but never tried them. It wouldn’t be “original”, but definitely a big time safer.

Laura Hammontree — February 20, 2014 @ 8:55 am

Sounds yummy. Do you cook the bacon before putting it on and baking?

• Kirsten | My Kitchen in the Rockies — February 20th, 2014 @ 9:43 am

Laura, no, I don’t. Since the Tart is in the oven for 20 mins or even longer the bacon comes out pretty well. Happy Baking! Kirsten

~Bea~ — February 20, 2014 @ 10:51 am

OMG!!!! I would love to go to Germany. My oldest Son got to go in high school during his German language class and for his project for class he chose to do a cookbook. I still have it. I had helped him get all his ingredients together and he made the most delicious cookies and savory dishes. I could not believe it. He loves to cook and still cooks to this day. He called me the other day wanting an old cookbook from 1953 that was the first cookbook I ever owned and so I am mailing it to him in Denver. I love this recipe Kirsten and can’t wait to share it along with the beautiful pictures and your blog today! I know he will enjoy it immensely. Thank you. I am sure that Sommer is thrilled about your post today. I am pleased about the yeast free as I have a friend with Crohn’s disease and so he cannot eat yeast. I learned how to make starter without it so that he could enjoy bread again.

Patty — February 20, 2014 @ 1:26 pm

What can I say-I’m so glad you shared this recipe Kirsten!
    I remember the night in Baden Baden when we shared a Flammkuchen and how much fun we had on your trip last year ;) Beautiful photos ;)

Tieghan — February 20, 2014 @ 11:00 pm

Such a fun post for me to read! I have not done a lot of traveling, so reading things like this is so awesome for me. Thanks for sharing!

Julia | JuliasAlbum.com — February 21, 2014 @ 12:38 am

I love reading travel-related posts! Beautiful photos – I’d love to travel to Europe every year!

cheri — February 21, 2014 @ 2:45 pm

I love thin crust pizzas and this looks wonderful.

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody) — February 22, 2014 @ 5:58 pm

I saw kuchen and was expecting a cake, obviously my knowledge of German cuisine needs a lot of work! Germany is absolutely on my places to visit. I have a friend who travels there regularly, their tales and photographs make me green with envy!

Amy — March 2, 2014 @ 1:47 am

Is there supposed to be zero yeast or is that an error?

poczta głosowa — March 21, 2014 @ 1:48 pm

Dobre, dobre, dobre polecam każdemu!

kik download — March 21, 2014 @ 3:37 pm

Hello to all, how is everything, I think every one is
    getting more from this web page, and your views are pleasant designed for new users.

tanie call center — April 3, 2014 @ 6:42 pm

Strona świadczy o ciekawych zagadnieniach, zapraszam do dyskusji

1. Pingback: Need to Sort | Pearltrees