Paleo White Chicken Chili
A healthy low carb, low fat, high flavor Paleo White Chicken Chili recipe that will make your house smell like heaven. (Assuming heaven smells SPICY.)
Last time I checked it’s still January…. How’s your healthy New Years Resolution coming along?
Sorry. Didn’t mean to stick my finger in an open wound. No judgement from me.
We’ve been eating pretty clean around here, but I will tell you, my resolve might be slipping because Valentine cupcakes and chocolate covered goodies are showing up in my dreams at night.
Last night’s dream is a little hazy, but I do remember a table full of petit fours, moody music, and oh yes, I had purple hair. Not sure what that was all about, but the petit fours looked sensational!
So back to healthy.
Chili is one of my favorite winter comfort meals and this healthy version of white chicken chili is no exception. Using very little oil, skinless chicken breast, and plenty of veggies, this paleo friendly chili recipe is at the top of my list this month.
Usually white chicken chili is loaded with heavy cream and cheese. My white chicken chili recipe is thickened with a touch of creamy coconut milk and arrowroot powder. Arrowroot powder is a wonder thickening agent that is a great substitute for cornstarch, for those on a grain-free diet.
My family loves this white chicken chili and they have no idea their eating “health food.” Which of course, makes it doubly satisfying for me!
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 33 minutes
Paleo White Chicken Chili
- 1.5 - 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, any color, seeded and chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 - 7 ounce cans green chiles
- 3 tablespoons thick canned coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- Chopped green onions and cilantro for garnish
- Chop the chicken and veggies. Then place a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil, onions, peppers, jalapeño, and garlic.
- Saute for 5 minutes, then add the chicken, salt and spices. Saute another 5-8 minutes, until the chicken is nearly cooked through. Add the broth, green chiles, and coconut milk. Whisk in the arrowroot powder and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Then take a potato masher (or ladle) and smash the chicken pieces to shreds. Serve topped with green onions and cilantro.
Note: Feel free to use cornstarch or masa in place of the arrowroot powder, and add 2 cans (drained) of white beans, if you aren't on a paleo diet.
SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email + Our FREE eCookbook Top 25 Recipes!
61 Responses to “Paleo White Chicken Chili”
Pingback: Dinner for a Week | The Coats Family
Pingback: Day # 134 | Super Busy Nurse Mom
Pingback: Currently Craving
Pingback: FOOOOD. | ouradvojourney
Pingback: Paleo Winners – The Bragg Book
Pingback: Menu Plan Monday ~ Nov 10/14
Pingback: White Chicken Chili | JennFire.com
Pingback: Paleo Chili Chicken | Lean and Mean