(Paleo) Cauliflower Fried Rice
A bold and comforting fried rice recipe for those on a low-carb or grain-free diet. This amazing cauliflower fried rice is so convincing, you won’t even miss the rice! You can eat your fill without busting your New Years Resolution this year.
Let me start out by saying, I love grains. And dairy.
Although I have tried the paleo diet and think of it as a very healthy option (we use it as a cleanse on occasion) I could never give up good bread, cheese, or pasta long term.
Yet it is January, and many of us are thinking along the lines of “low carb”… So, I’ve got a healthy paleo-friendly dinner option to share with you today.
After all, I don’t think I could stand it if I was the cause of your dietary demise… at least not today.
Introducing Cauliflower Fried Rice.
No, not a fried rice recipe with chunks of cauliflower in it, but a dish using cauliflower as (or in place of) the rice. I promise, you’ll be shocked at how good it is.
To make cauliflower fried rice, prepare all your ingredients, just as you would for a classic fried rice recipe: beaten eggs, chopped scallions, carrots, garlic, ginger, chopped chicken, soy sauce, maybe a little chile paste.
Then place roughly chopped cauliflower florets in the food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is chopped to the size of rice.
Flash fry the ingredients in a wok over high heat, one at a time, to keep them from over cooking. Then flash fry the cauliflower until just barely cooked through, but not mushy. Add all the ingredients into the wok and toss. Viola!
The secret ingredient (other than the cauliflower) is bacon.
Adding a little bacon to the wok, allows it to mingle with the soy and ginger and provide that unctuous full-bodied flavor traditional fried rice offers.
It’s a mind-blowing option for low-carb dieters.
In fact, I don’t know that I wouldn’t chose it over classic fried rice. You’ve got to try this!
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 head cauliflower
- 5 slices thick cut bacon, chopped (Uncured Organic Bacon for Strict Paleo)
- 1 lb. organic chicken breast, sliced into thin pieces
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 Tb. freshly grated ginger
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped, greens and whites separated
- 1 cup shredded carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup chopped thai basil or cilantro
- 1-3 Tb. soy sauce (Substitute Coconut Aminos for Strict Paleo)
- 1 tsp. sriracha or chile paste
- Lime wedges for serving
- Coconut oil for frying
- Chop the bacon, chicken and veggies so you can work quickly once you start cooking. Cut the cauliflower into florets and place in the food processor. Pulse until it roughly resembles rice.
- Heat a large wok (or skillet) over medium heat. Place a rimmed dish to the side of the wok as a holding dish. Add the bacon to the skillet and fry until brown and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in the dish.
- Add the eggs to the skillet and quickly scramble. Use your spoon to break into small pieces, then move to the holding dish. If needed add a small amount of oil to the wok. Turn the heat to high and add the chicken, white onion pieces, ginger and garlic. Stir fry until the chicken is just barely cooked through, then add the carrots and cook another minute. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to the holding dish.
- Now add the cauliflower "rice" to the wok. Stir fry for 3-5 minutes until soft, but still firm. Add all the cooked ingredients back to the wok, along with the frozen peas, soy sauce to taste, and chile paste. Toss and cook until the peas are warmed through, then toss in the green onion tops and basil. Serve warm with lime wedges.
Get a FREE GIFT when you SUBSCRIBE to receive new posts by email:
40 Responses to “(Paleo) Cauliflower Fried Rice”
Pingback: Fun Five Friday