Bulgogi Korean BBQ

Finishing off “Wok Week” with savory-sweet Korean BBQ, made of heavily seasoned stir-fried beef, sesame seeds, and scallions. Bulgogi is not only one of my all-time favorite dishes, it’s a sure-fire way to introduce your family to a life-long love of Korean cooking.

Bulgogi: Korean BBQ #Beef #Asian #Recipe

Wok Week has been so much fun!

If only you could have sat in my kitchen to take in the steamy aroma of caramelized garlic, ginger and soy, and watched the wok blazing over open flame, working its magic… sigh.

I think we’re going to have to do it again, and soon.

Bulgogi: Korean BBQ Beef #Asian #Recipe

When we plan to go out to eat, one of the places my kids frequently ask to visit is a local Korean restaurant known for their stone bowl dishes and bulgogi.

Their eyes widen as the server sits all the classic Korean side dishes down on our table, followed by steeping bowls of spicy broth, and a sizzling iron pan piled with hot korean bbq beef, known as bulgogi.

They pick up their chop sticks and throw caution to the wind, heading straight for the spicy beef pieces, too hot to swallow on the first bite.

A Traditional Korean DinnerThis is an Instagram Shot of #TheAftermath. Notice, no Bulgogi left.

If you’ve never tried it, Bulgogi is a real treat.

It’s traditionally sliced paper-thin, marinaded in a savory-sweet sauce, then cooked over a Korean grill. But if you ask me, it’s much easier to handle in a WOK.

Making Bulgogi: Korean BBQ #Beef #Asian #Recipe

Slice the beef while it’s frozen, so it’s easier to cut thin, and marinade in the customary fashion.

Easy Bulgogi: Korean BBQ #Beef #Asian #Recipe

Then heat a wok to high heat, drain the marinade and quickly stir fry.

The sugars caramelize creating a wonderfully crispy texture along the edges, and of course, the high heat intensifies all the vibrant flavors to develop the most amazing aroma imaginable.

How to Make Bulgogi: Korean BBQ #Beef #Asian #Recipe

You end up with all the best attributes of Korean BBQ, without needing the bbq.

You can serve Korean Bbq with rice, kimchi and other Korean side dishes (like one of our most popular recipes, Korean Veggie Pancakes) or use it to make ridiculously-good Korean style tacos and lettuce wraps.

Simple Bulgogi: Korean BBQ #Beef #Asian #Recipe

You are going to love this!

Yield: 4-6 servings

Prep Time: 15 minutes active time

Bulgogi Korean BBQ

• 1 1/2 lbs. lean steak, frozen (I used New York Strips)
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 2 1/2 Tb. brown sugar
  • 2 Tb. sesame oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tb. fresh grated ginger
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped, whites and greens separated
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp. sriracha (or kochujang Korean chile paste)
  • 1 Tb. toasted sesame seeds

1. While the steak is frozen, trim the fat and slice paper thin. Frozen meat is much easier to cut thin than thawed meat. Place in a large bowl and top with: Soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, onion whites, pepper and sriracha. Toss to coat and allow the steak to thaw and marinade for 45-60 minutes.
  2. Heat a wok (or large skillet) to high heat. Use tongs to transfer half of the meat to the hot wok. Spread the steak pieces around the skillet and allow them to sear on one side before using the tongs to move them around and caramelize on all sides.  Once the juices have evaporated and the steak has a nice brown color, remove from the wok, 5-8 minutes.
  3. Cover the cooked steak to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining meat, and throw out the left over marinade. Serve warm, sprinkled with the reserved green onion tops and sesame seeds.

36 Responses to “Bulgogi Korean BBQ”

Jenny Flake — January 10, 2014 @ 7:25 am

Oh my goodness! I am drooling at 6:30am, lol! Looks amazing Sommer :)

Kevin @ Closet Cooking — January 10, 2014 @ 7:26 am

What a tasty looking meal! Love this!

Maria — January 10, 2014 @ 7:53 am

I need to get our wok out! Your week has inspired me!

Nancy Long — January 10, 2014 @ 7:56 am

yum, yum, yum – will be making this and the veggie pancakes really soon

Marian (Sweetopia) — January 10, 2014 @ 8:10 am

Another yummy recipe! Loved your “wok” week! :)

Julie @ Table for Two — January 10, 2014 @ 9:00 am

love korean bulgogi!! one of the best asian comfort foods. i’ve loved this wok week, sommer!

Liz @ Virtually Homemade — January 10, 2014 @ 9:05 am

Oh my – that bulgogi looks amazing! I love making this dish as well – definitely pinning!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — January 10, 2014 @ 9:10 am

Such an enticing post. Yum!!!

marla — January 10, 2014 @ 10:34 am

I want this for lunch & dinner!!!

Katie — January 10, 2014 @ 11:27 am

We love beef bulgogi but I’ve never even thought to make this at home. You make it look easy–must try soon!

Vette Caudill — January 10, 2014 @ 11:55 am

I have scoured the net for this, but all this time was spelling it wrong, the recipe that I had and lost years ago said pugoi!! SO VERY HAPPY to find this!!!!

Alice // Hip Foodie Mom — January 10, 2014 @ 12:57 pm

Sommer,
    first of all, I love seeing Korean buigogi on your blog. . and you have Pajeon too?! I also love that your kids like Korean food too!! :) this looks great! again, awesome to see this on your blog and love it when Korean food gets more exposure! Cheers to wok week! :)

Gaby — January 10, 2014 @ 2:50 pm

I must try this soon! It has been too long since I’ve used the wok!

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — January 10, 2014 @ 3:22 pm

I’ve never tried nor heard of Bulgogi before, but your pictures definitely have me craving it. :)

Jeanette | Jeanette's Healthy Living — January 10, 2014 @ 4:33 pm

My husband loves bulgogi- always a treat!

Coco — January 10, 2014 @ 4:44 pm

This is one of my absolute favorite dishes! I could eat til I fall into a coma!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 10, 2014 @ 7:13 pm

Another amazing dish!! Can’t wait to try this one :)

Bea Long — January 10, 2014 @ 8:06 pm

This might be my most favorite yet..still no wok…

• Bea Long — January 10th, 2014 @ 8:08 pm

Not sure why my pic shows up only sometimes??

Bea Long — January 10, 2014 @ 8:07 pm

I don’t know I am between Korean BBQ and scallops??Yikes!!

Shaina — January 10, 2014 @ 9:27 pm

So good. I love the easy prep here.

Tieghan — January 10, 2014 @ 11:36 pm

Incredible! This looks SO good! My family would go nuts for it!!

By the way, I LOVED wok week! :)

Katrina — January 11, 2014 @ 7:46 am

Ive been making this dish for yrs. I add a fat chopped onion, and bellpepper, ( i make it fat so for those silly people who dont like onions or peppers, like my kids, can pull them out) and marinate for 3 days. Flip it daily. Sometimes the fridge smells so good, my family wont let it sit 3 days. Lol
    Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Lucy @SupergoldenBakes — January 11, 2014 @ 2:04 pm

Have been addicted to Bulgogi beef since a Korean lunch place opened opposite my office. The idea of slicing the beef while frozen is nothing short of genius! Cant wait to make this…

Jackie Quinn — January 12, 2014 @ 6:39 pm

My husband made this for my birthday dinner tonight. WOW it was amazing. I’m so glad I found this on Pinterest and sent him the link. This will be added to our menu rotation for sure! Thanks for a great recipe.

erin — January 13, 2014 @ 11:55 am

Just wanted to let you know that I LOVE Wok Week! These look so yummy! Thanks!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — January 14, 2014 @ 8:35 pm

I’ve never had Korean BBQ but now I must – this looks so good!

momma.jenn — January 23, 2014 @ 3:18 pm

LOOOOVVVVEEE bulgogi! Am with Coco…could eat it until I fall in a coma. THANK YOU for a super easy way to make it!

Heesoon — January 30, 2014 @ 9:46 am

I am Korean and was so excited when I saw this posting! You like our food!! I just love people who like our good.. :) I saw the soup in your picture. Do you eat that spicy soup too? Amazing! Have you tried short rib and hot stone bowl mixed rice (Dolsot bibimbap)? I am sure you already have but if not, try them.You will love them! I JUST LOVE YOUR BLOG! It inspires me in so many ways, makes me love baking(and cooking), and makes me a better baker. Thank you for all your hard work that you put into each posting. And thank you so much for all the recipes that you share.

• Sommer — January 30th, 2014 @ 6:46 pm

Hi Heesoon, Thanks for your kind words! Yes, I love the spicy soups and stone bowls, but don’t think I have tried one with short rib. Now you’ve given me something to look forward to. :)

Mandy — February 26, 2014 @ 6:01 pm

Delicious! Made this tonight and my fiancée said it tastes like our favorite Korean restaurant’s. Thank you! Do you have any recipes for dipping sauce for Mandus?

JG — March 22, 2014 @ 6:09 pm

Hi, you have this filed under ‘gluten free’ but it is not. There is gluten in soy sauce.

1. Pingback: Link Love #20 | Barr & Table

2. Pingback: Pork Bulgogi:Gluten-Free Soy-Free Nightshade-Free-Option-Savory Nature

3. Pingback: Korean Bulgogi

4. Pingback: Weekly Menu Plan, Mar 23 - Mar 29 - Everyday Home Cook | Everyday Home Cook