Peppermint Cookie Bon-Bombs
This easy bon bon recipe is made with peppermint ice cream, chocolate, and a cookie base. Homemade Ice Cream Bon Bons are a marvelous treat for the holidays, especially when they have a surprise cookie inside!
One treat I always make around the holidays are bon bons.
The idea of taking rich creamy ice cream and dunking it in chocolate is a splurge I look forward to all year long.
Over the years, we’ve made various bon bon recipes with an array ice creams and chocolate coatings, but I always come back to the classic holiday flavor combination of peppermint and dark chocolate!
It’s a treat to watch our guests’ eyes light up when they see a tray of bon bons coming out of the freezer. These little treasures also make a wonderful bedtime treat on Christmas Eve, sitting by the fire in our holiday jammies.
This year’s bon bon batch is even more exciting, because I’ve turned homemade ice cream bon bons into Peppermint Cookie Bon-BOMBS, with a sweet crispy holiday cookie inside!
The cookie not only adds extra flavor and crunch, it provides a platform for the little ice cream scoops to sit on, so they are easier to dip in chocolate.
I used Pillsbury Ready To Bake Holiday Sugar Cookies in this bon bon recipe. So when you bite into your bon bon a fun holiday shape is revealed on the cookie.
So much fun, I can’t stand it!!!
These take a little freezer time, but are so easy to make. Simply bake your cookie from a frozen state, so that when they cool they sink a little in the middle and create a rim that helps hold the ice cream.
Then use a small ice cream scoop to press each ice cream ball onto a cookie. Freeze the cookies so that the cookie and ice cream harden together.
Then prepare melted chocolate mixed with a little butter. Adding the butter helps the chocolate to stay clear (not cloudy) in the freezer, and also softens it just a little so you don’t break your teeth on it when you bite down.
Coat the homemade ice cream bon bons in melted chocolate, then quickly sprinkle with holiday sprinkles before the chocolate hardens. Place them back in the freezer and you’re finished.
Sitting out Homemade Ice Cream Bon-Bombs with a surprise Pillsbury holiday cookie inside for Santa (instead of plain cookies) will ensure my stocking is overflowing this year! *wink*
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 40 minutes active time
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Homemade Ice Cream Bon Bons
- 12 frozen Ready to Bake Holiday Shaped Pillsbury Cookies (from 11 oz. package)
- 1 quart peppermint ice cream
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate, chopped or chips
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- holiday sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cookies on the baking sheet and bake for 10-11 minutes. Then cool completely on the baking sheets. (Since the cookies were baked from a frozen state, they will settle creating a rim around the edge.)
- Once the cookies have cooled, use a small 1/4 cup scoop to scoop the ice cream, then press each scoop firmly onto each cookie. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for at least 1 hour to firm up.
- Place the chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl, microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between each time until the chocolate is completely melted, usually 60-90 seconds.
- Take the cookies out of the freezer 2-3 at a time. Place one cookie on the fork over the bowl of melted chocolate and use a spatula to scoop the chocolate over the ice cream ball. Tap the fork to remove the excess chocolate. Then quickly (before the chocolate hardens) place the cookie bon bon on wax paper and sprinkle with holiday sprinkles. Work in small batches and place them back in the freezer quickly, until ready to serve. Allows the bon bons to sit out for 5 minutes before serving.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Pillsbury. All opinions are my own.
Like what you see? SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email.