What’s in my Makeup Bag

How about a little random girl talk today? Sorry men, there may be a little bone in here for you somewhere. We are going to discuss makeup and I think your lady friend could use some new products in her stocking this year…. Maybe? If not, come back tomorrow when we’ll be talking food again.

Top #Cosmetic Picks on ASpicyPerspective.com #stockingstuffers #products #holidays We girls love to talk about products we use, whether in the kitchen or on our skin. So today I want to share some of my favorite (current) makeup items and get your recommendation on what you like to use. Just for kicks!

Foundation.

I’ve tried every option out there, mineral powder foundation, air brush sprays, creams… and Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Tinted Moisturizer is my go-to foundation. It’s not as thick as a traditional foundation, so doesn’t offer as much coverage, but I like the sheer natural look. Also Tarte products are great because they’re made of all botanical ingredients and free of harsh chemicals. Love this stuff!

Concealer.

Tarte again. I like the Amazonian Clay 12- Hour Concealer. It stays put and hides the dark circles under my eyes when I’m having a spell of hormonal insomnia. Yay for being in my thirties!!

Powder.

One of my buddies is an Arbonne consultant. She has been talking up Arbonne’s all-natural makeup line, and the first product I tried is their Mattifying Powder. This finishing powder is amazing and holds off shine like magic! I plan to try a few more Arbonne cosmetic products with her next order, maybe the lipstick. If you’re interested in Arbonne’s healthy makeup, you can contact my consultant at: BethanyRuthJones @ gmail.com

Eyeshadow.

I’m a fan of cream eyeshadows and Benefit’s Creaseless Cream Eyeshadow is the best! They are a little sparkly and have major stay power. I’ve been using these for about 4 years now and have no interest in switching.

Eyeliner.

Benefit again. Love Benefit’s BadGal Waterproof Eyeliner, especially the Charcoal color. It has a spongy tip to smudge the liner for a more natural look, then dries into place and lasts forever.

Mascara.

I have two favorites, Dior Show Mascara and Benefit They’re Real Mascara. I honestly can’t decide which one of these I like the best, so I buy them both. The Dior Show mascara is thickening and seriously glamorous, making me feel very va-va-voom. The Benefit They’re Real makes my lashes look long and separated. I alternate them on a regular basis.

Blush and Bronzer.

So… I stopped using either for these products a few years ago and haven’t bought them since. I don’t know, I’ve just never found one I thought was very impressive. Do I really need to wear blush? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

Lips.

Lips are an issue for me. Every lipstick and gloss I’ve ever tried (even the ones that are supposed to moisturize) dry my lips out. I’ve resorted to using Loreal Infallible Never Fail Lipliner (which is pretty great for a grocery-store makeup item) and a local product called SkinFare which is a giant all-natural lip whole body balm.

I line my lips, slather on the SkinFare and press my lips to blend. This has worked pretty well, and I keep sticks of SkinFare everywhere so I can slather up everyone in the house all winter. (I usually put it all over the kids’ faces when they’ve been playing outside in the cold air.) However, I’d love to hear your suggestions on lipsticks and glosses.

What are your favorite makeup products?

Do you have any makeup tips for us, or solutions for my lip dilemma?

Tell me all about it in the comments below!

Disclosure: This is NOT a sponsored post and there are no affiliated links here.  Just talking about things I like. (…Same as when my posts are sponsored.)

You Might Also Like

15 Responses to “What’s in my Makeup Bag”

Amy — November 19, 2013 @ 7:26 am

Oooooh … can’t wait to check out that SkinFare. Thanks for all the tips!

Amy @ The Nifty Foodie — November 19, 2013 @ 7:38 am

Love this post! I’m a big fan of Tarte products too!

Ashley — November 19, 2013 @ 8:52 am

I am loving Clinique’s Chubby Stick. It’s extremely moisturizing, and a good hue of color. Otherwise, I wear lipstick daily. The most moisturizing factor I’ve found is using L’Occitane’s Shea Butter lip balm BEFORE I apply any lip products.

Huge believer in Benefit products, too! Love them!!

• Sommer — November 19th, 2013 @ 10:26 am

Hey Ashley, I’ve never heard of either of those products. Definitely checking them out!

kelly @ livelovepasta — November 19, 2013 @ 9:21 am

I stay away from lip products too because my lips get dry/flaky and I HATE that. Recently I started doing lip scrubs.. a DIY scrub w/ coconut oil, sugar and a drop of olive oil. I massage on my lips then wipe off w/ a damp wash cloth. My lips are so much smoother! Then I use a lip balm and Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain.

• Sommer — November 19th, 2013 @ 10:27 am

Oooo, what a good idea! Lips scrubbing is happening at my house this week.

jane — November 19, 2013 @ 12:26 pm

great suggestions – can’t wait to check some of these out!!!

Amber — November 19, 2013 @ 12:51 pm

I’m gonna try these ideas! I went to Miss Jackson’s with Cara and we tried NARS lip gloss called Belize and it wasn’t too glossy and it’s a great nude shade. They had us use a Borneo lip pencil in NARS. Cute on her dark skin and my light skin. The NARS website has other cute pencils that match this shade.. I don’t bother with anything else now! Looked great at our anniversary in Chicago and everyday too :)

• Sommer — November 19th, 2013 @ 8:03 pm

Hey Amber! I’ve never tried anything from NARS, but it sounds like I need to. :)

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — November 19, 2013 @ 7:48 pm

I have been thinking about trying that foundation and concealer! I always look at it on the Sephora site, then end up buying my usual brand because I’m scared. :) I guess I should give it a try!

• Sommer — November 19th, 2013 @ 7:58 pm

Oh Kiersten, I love them both! Definitely give them a try. :)

capturing joy with kristen duke — November 19, 2013 @ 11:58 pm

Always in need of some good make up tips–especially under my eyes!!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — November 20, 2013 @ 7:45 am

I’m always on the lookout for new makeup ideas. This is great.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — November 21, 2013 @ 12:55 pm

I was just at Sephora yesterday and went by the They’re Real mascara! It’s totally on my list of to-buys. And so is the Benefit Creaseless eye shadow! Love it!

Shaina — November 21, 2013 @ 5:37 pm

I’m so boring when it comes to makeup. No one ever taught me how to use anything, and so I just stick with Bare Minerals powder, a simple eyeliner pencil, and some boring lip tint. I’ll have to use your product tips to expand my makeup bag a bit.