Goat Cheese Red Pepper Tart + Giveaway
A savory tart made with creamy goat cheese, basil, and candied red peppers, both luxurious and inviting. The perfect side dish for any holiday meal.
I’m a sucker for savory pies and tarts, especially around the holidays.
The crisp buttery crust layered with cheese, herbs, and toppings is almost more than I can bear.
Every fall I bake up a new variety to share with friends and family at holiday events. Last year’s green bean mushrooms tart was a huge success. And before that there was a lovely not-so-sweet pear and brie tart, and a fresh tomato tart that was hard to beat.
Find these dishes here.
Coming up with obscure traditions that only mean something to me is big fun in my little world… like annual savory tart day!
Plus, savory tarts offer a sneaky platform for smuggling veggies into your children. No one ever argues about eating vegetables when they are served in pie form.
That is a fact.
Our farmers markets are closing down for the year, but fortunately, I saved some of the best peppers this season with my FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer.
Remember my post about experimenting with a FoodSaver?
I vacuum sealed some vibrant red Italian Marconi Peppers in September, put them in my basement fridge for later use, and forgot all about them.
Then earlier this week, I found them down stairs and was amazed to see that they were still in good shape 7 weeks later.
7 WEEKS, GUYS!
I am officially sold on my FoodSaver. The basil I vacuum sealed lasted 2 whole weeks, and that is approximately 12 days, 8 hours, and 42 minutes longer than it usually lasts. Give or take a few minutes.
So today we are celebrating Annual Savory Tart Day (yes, I totally made that up) with a gorgeous Goat Cheese and Red Pepper Tart and a fabulous FoodSaver Giveaway!
Release the confetti!
This easy tart is filled with ultra creamy goat cheese and fresh basil leaves. Then topped with sweet sliced red pepper, and a little drizzle of honey, so that the red peppers “candy” as the tart bakes. See how glossy they are?
The sweet and tangy quality of the red pepper top works wonders with the cream goat cheese filling below. This was a match made in heaven.
And I wasn’t kidding about the FoodSaver Giveaway!
One lucky reader will win the same 2-in-1 FoodSaver System I have, with an easy to use vacuum hose. ($200 value)
To Enter: Follow the prompts in this automated entry form. For US residents only.
Yield: 1 tart
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Goat Cheese Red Pepper Tart
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cup Gold Medal Flour
- 1 stick COLD unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 3-5 Tb. ice-cold booze (whiskey, brandy, vodka)
For the filling:
- 10 oz. chevre goat cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 2-3 marconi sweet peppers (or red bell peppers) cut into thin rings
- 1 Tb. honey
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. For the Crust: Add the flour, butter and salt to a food processor, and pulse until chopped into small pellet-like pieces. Pour the booze over ice to chill, then strain the ice and add 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing the mixture, until in just comes together. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has chilled, flour a work surface and a roll it out into a large 11 inch circle. carefully fold it over the rolling pin and move to a tart pan. Lower the crust into the pan, don't stretch. Fit the crust down into the edges, then crimp off the excess dough over the top of the pan.
- Mix the softened goat cheese and egg until smooth. Then spread evenly at the bottom of the tart. Lay a a single layer of fresh basil leaves over the goat cheese. Then layer the red peppers over the basil leaves, overlapping. Drizzle the honey over the top and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake the tart on the lowest rack for 35 minutes, until the crust is baked through and the red peppers and honey look "candied" and glossy. Cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by FoodSaver. All opinions are my own.
SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email + Our FREE eCookbook Top 25 Recipes!
157 Responses to “Goat Cheese Red Pepper Tart + Giveaway”
Pingback: » Giveaways-November 15, 2013
Pingback: WWHBD January 21, 2015 - Dracaena Wines