Slow Cooker Cider Wassail

This fragrant Wassail Recipe will usher you into the spirit of fall in no time. A slow cooked mulled cider with an enchanting deep and fruity sweetness. A special autumn treat for parties or family game night!

The first time I ever tasted wassail was at an old-fashioned village festival in 1986.

It was a chilly fall day. I was walking through the streets with my parents, taking in the local scenery. Everywhere I looked there were artisans dressed in turn-of-the-century garb carving soap bars, blowing glass ornaments, and throwing pottery.

Then behind me, I heard a man cry out, “Hot  Waaaaaaaas-sailllllll!”

When I turned to see where the voice was coming from, the most intoxicating aroma of sweet spicy apples brushed past me.

How to Make #SlowCooker Wassail Recipe (Mulled Cider) ASpicyPerspective.com #fall #apple #party #recipe

There was only one thought in my mind. I must have that.

I pulled my parents toward a wooden street cart with a large black cauldron nestled in it, and looked up at them longingly.

Making #SlowCooker Wassail Recipe (Mulled Cider) ASpicyPerspective.com #fall #apple #party #recipe

The moment the hot wassail touched my lips, a wave of calming delight washed over me and warmed me to my toes.

At that moment, nothing had ever tasted so good.

My family walked through the village with warm hands from our wassail mugs, lifted spirits, and a lasting memory of sweet mulled cider wassail recipe.

Easy #SlowCooker Wassail Recipe (Mulled Cider) ASpicyPerspective.com #fall #apple #party #recipe

This wassail recipe is just the thing to warm your body and brighten your mood!

A sweet and spicy mulled cider made with Musselman’s Apple Cider, orange juice, hibiscus tea, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, junipers berries and fresh fruit.

This wassail recipe simmers in a slow cooker until ready to serve and is always a hit with friends and family.

Best #SlowCooker Wassail Recipe (Mulled Cider) ASpicyPerspective.com #fall #apple #party #recipe

You can even make your wassail several days ahead and rewarm it for guests.

This is one of my absolute favorites slow cooker recipes because you simply can’t drink it without smiling.

Yield: 10-12 servings

Cook Time: 4 hours

Wassail Recipe

• 1 gallon Musselman's Apple Cider
  • 4 cups orange juice
  • 4 hibiscus tea bags
  • 10 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 tsp. whole cloves
  • 1 Tb. juniper berries
  • 1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, cut into slices
  • 1 apple, sliced into rounds
  • 1 orange, sliced into rounds

1. Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cover.
  2. Turn the slow cooker on high heat and cook for 3-4 hours, until the color has darkened and the fruit is soft. Remove the tea bags and serve hot.

More Hot Beverages

Authentic Chai Tea

Toffee Caramel Latte

Pumpkin Spice Latte – A Farmgirl’s Dabbles

Mocha Latte – She Wears Many Hats

Cinnamon Nutella Hot Cocoa – Miss In The Kitchen

Skinny Caramel Macchiato Latte – Tidy Mom

Hot Buttered Rum Mix – A Thought For Food

35 Responses to “Slow Cooker Cider Wassail”

Maria — September 18, 2013 @ 5:54 am

This makes me excited for fall!

Tieghan — September 18, 2013 @ 6:31 am

My town (Frisco, CO) has this two week period every December called Wassail days. Basically, it is a two Christmas celebration full of tons and tons of Wassail, christmas carols, store discounts and so on. It’s is pretty cheesy, but fun too!
    Anyway, wassail always make me think of Christmas, but I can totally be down with drinking it throughout the fall. Your recipe looks killer!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — September 18, 2013 @ 6:59 am

Seriously excited for this. It brings back so many memories of Fall and Winter and a crazy song that I’ll now have stuck in my head all day long ;)

Jennie @themessybakerblog — September 18, 2013 @ 7:01 am

This warm, spicy concoction looks perfect for the cooler weather.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — September 18, 2013 @ 7:04 am

This looks so comforting and just perfect in the slow cooker.

Jenny Flake — September 18, 2013 @ 7:10 am

Loving the slow cooker recipes Sommer! Bring on Fall, best time of year!

Marly — September 18, 2013 @ 7:17 am

I can’t believe it’s already time for Wassail and slow cooker recipes like this one. I don’t know about you, but I’m SO ready. Thanks for setting the mood!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — September 18, 2013 @ 7:21 am

You had me at the large nub of ginger!!! Can’t wait to try this!!

Angie — September 18, 2013 @ 7:30 am

This is a great recipe for the upcoming cooler weather!

Julie @ Table for Two — September 18, 2013 @ 7:42 am

This makes me really excited for Fall! i want to take a large sip. I’m sure it warms you right up!

Chris — September 18, 2013 @ 7:46 am

I have never made this at home (I can’t believe I made it public!). I wonder if I can use apple juice instead of apple cider?

Brian @ A Thought For Food — September 18, 2013 @ 7:53 am

I swear I can smell how wonderful this is! Yeah, you have me excited for fall.

Tracy | Peanutbutter and Onion — September 18, 2013 @ 9:14 am

I have such a chill today … PERFECT

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — September 18, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

Mmmm!!! Just the perfect thing for fall!!!

Julie @ Running in a Skirt — September 18, 2013 @ 12:57 pm

This looks divine! I’m loving your slow cooker theme! You know I love this way of cooking.

Heather Christo — September 18, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

I have never, ever heard of Wassail, but everything about sounds perfect- I can’t wait to make this!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — September 18, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

I love this homemade cider, Sommer! I bet it makes your home smell just incredible. Looks delicious, too!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — September 19, 2013 @ 12:49 am

And now I can’t wait for the weather to chill in order to enjoy this cider, Sommer :)

Pinned!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — September 19, 2013 @ 8:21 pm

This looks incredible and your house must smell amazing!! pinned!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — September 19, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

Absolutely beautiful. My family loves warm spiced drinks during the cold months, can’t wait to try this!

Jeanette — September 20, 2013 @ 5:59 am

Looks like the perfect fall beverage – would be perfect for Halloween night!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — September 20, 2013 @ 7:45 am

It doesn’t get much more fall that this! I want o sip on this all day!

Shaina — September 21, 2013 @ 10:02 pm

In my husband’s family we call this “weasel.” No matter what it’s called, I love it on a cold day.

Gigi — October 17, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

If I wanted to make this recipe for about 4-6 people, how long should it be in the slow cooker? The same amount of time?

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — November 2, 2013 @ 6:18 pm

This looks like such a great recipe to serve to some friends on a cold day, can’t wait to taste it!

Annarose — November 26, 2013 @ 5:31 pm

Is it alright to put this on low in the crockpot for like 8 hours? I wanted to start in the morning when I leave but I won’t be back until like 1pm which will be about 6 hours. Anyone tried this? Thoughts?

• Sommer — November 27th, 2013 @ 8:15 am

Hi Annarose! I think that would be fine. Just set your crockpot on low.

Melissa Risenhoover — December 7, 2013 @ 8:03 pm

Hi Sommer! I have been searching and searching for a good wassail recipe and yours seems like the best one I have found…the only question I have is why hibiscus tea bags, ginger and juniper? Is this in place of all spice? Just curious in case the store doesn’t have one or the other. Thanks!

Marvy Gibbs — December 18, 2013 @ 9:27 am

What would you suggest as a substitute for juniper berries in this wassail recipe? Thank you.

1. Pingback: Thanksgiving Menu: Appetizers + Cocktails - Handcrafted Parties

2. Pingback: 8 delicious holiday cocktail recipes - Cool Mom Picks

3. Pingback: Celebrating Winter Solstice | The Crunchy Delinquent

4. Pingback: 7 Holiday Ornaments With Bicycles | Eleanor's | Stylish Bicycle Accessories for Ladies

5. Pingback: On the 8th day of Christmas… | Design Central | the hub where design + style meet

6. Pingback: Favorite Fall Recipes - Simple Living Mama