Indian Summer Cocktail

Still on the lookout for refreshing summer cocktails? Today Lt. Dan’s got an amazing lemon apricot bourbon cocktail for sultry summer evenings, and a message that touches us all.

A word from Lt. Dan…

I tend to be a pretty light-hearted guy, not too serious very often. Given the choice, I’d rather watch Happy Gilmore or Caddyshack instead of a super intense drama. I’m more about cocktails on a boat than aged port and political conversation in the study. But there are times when it is necessary to get a little serious, maybe a bit emotional – especially when it relates to matters of the heart. With that in mind, today’s slightly more serious cocktail post is going to discuss the nasty C-word – Cancer.

I am convinced cancer touches all of us. It has become so ubiquitous that we all have a story of personal battle or a loved one, who is, or has battled. There are stories of great triumph; even miracles. And there are stories of hard fought battles lost. Mrs. Spicy and I have experienced both extremes with loved ones in our lives.

How to make "Indian Summer" Bourbon Cocktail | ASpicyPerspective.com #cocktails #summer #recipe

The most extreme example is my beautiful niece O’neal. “Baby O” left us to be with the Lord just one month before my daughter Ava was born over 10 years ago. She fought a very aggressive form of brain cancer from the age of 9 months to 18 months. She was lovely – and I am proud that my daughter carries O’neal as her middle name, a lifetime honor to her cousin. Over 2500 people showed up for Baby O’s funeral and we have heard many stories years later of how her strength touched people’s lives. She passed that strength to all of us who knew her and loved her.

A very close friend of ours was recently diagnosed with breast cancer.

I am relieved to say that it was detected early, she has had surgery and is currently undergoing radiation, and by all accounts looks to be on track for a full recovery. It’s been a scary few months, but she is going to be fine. Thank you Lord and Duke Medical! Hoorah!!!

How to make a bourbon cocktail

The final example is the purpose for this post. I have had the great privilege of getting to know Jason and Ashley Crosby over the past several months.

The Crosby’s moved to Asheville about 2 years ago, with Jason working as the head mixologist and bar manager of one of our favorite restaurants in town, The Junction. Jason had been a very successful spirits distributor, wine connoisseur, and mixologist throughout different parts of the country including Colorado and Hilton Head. He moved his family to Asheville in order to “slow down” and begin to enjoy life, family and the lifestyle Asheville has to offer.

the Crosby family

By all accounts, the Crosby’s were doing great in Asheville – their young daughter Gianna was acclimating well and Ashley became pregnant with their second child (Salem was born in May). And then, like many of you reading have experienced personally or through a loved one, news came. For Jason, it was February of this year. Stage 4-pancreatic cancer and a 60 day window of life.

No insurance. No warning. No idea what to do next.

Bourbon Cocktail | ASpicyPerspective.com #cocktails #summer #recipeVilleroy & Boch Whiskey Tumblers

Writing those words, I am forced to sit back and let that sink in again. The enormity of that reality is very difficult to wrap my brain around. A 40-year-old healthy man with a wife, a daughter and a newborn due in 3 months – given an almost sure death sentence.

Fast-forward to today and the Crosby’s are fighting like crazy. They have become my heroes in a sense. Jason’s body has rejected Chemo, but he is fighting in other holistic ways – especially with diet. The cancer at this point does not seem to have gotten worse and they still have extreme Faith and Hope.

Every day is a battle – but one worth fighting. The Crosby’s have awesome plans for the future, and have every intention of getting to them.

Indian Summer Cocktails | ASpicyPerspective.com #summer #cocktails #recipe

I tell this story for several reasons.

First, I want to help the Crosby family. Their medical and living expenses are extreme just trying to fight. We have done a few fund-raiser’s and Asheville has embraced them as one of their own. So now I am reaching out to the ASP family of readers. If you can help the Crosby Cancer Fund, Link Here. Every penny goes to the family. Your donations and prayers are needed and greatly appreciated!

The Crosby Family

Second, as stated above, cancer affects all of us in some way.

My hope is that these stories, especially the story about the Crosby family will help us to remember someone who is fighting this awful disease. Maybe it will encourage you to take part in or start a fund-raiser yourself. Maybe these stories will help us appreciate today and the loved ones in our lives a little more. Maybe it’s just good sometimes, to remember that there are good people around us going through very difficult times, and a prayer or kind word could go a long way…

Summer Cocktails #summer #cocktails #recipe

Or… You could make them a batch of these AWESOME Indian Summer cocktails (there is a cocktail today).

Jason Crosby has so kindly shared his personal concoction with us today. These babies can go a long way to make anyone’s day better!

BTW: Some people are not comfortable giving to people they don’t know. So if you’re not comfortable giving to Jason and his family – please consider sending a donation to another great cancer fighting cause. My favorite (other than the Crosby Cancer Fund) is the Jimmy V Foundation.

Cheers!

Yield: 1 cocktail

Indian Summer Bourbon Cocktail

• 2 oz. good bourbon
  • 1/4 oz. limoncello
  • 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
  • 1 heaping Tb. Apricot jam
  • 8-12 fresh sage leaves

1. Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and fill the shaker with ice. Cover and shake vigorously 12-15 times.
  2. Fill a small tumbler with ice and double-strain into the cocktail into the glass. Garnish with a fresh sage leaf.

30 Responses to “Indian Summer Cocktail”

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — August 7, 2013 @ 6:13 am

Lt. Dan, you are my hero today. And, so is Sommer, Jason and the Crosby family. Help via financial donation to the family and loads of sincere heartfelt prayers to our Lord are on their way. Thank you for the cocktail recipe, Jason. It will surely become a favorite as I adore bourbon. May God Bless and Keep You All during these especially trying times and give you the strength to come through. xoxo, Stacy & The Big Lug

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — August 7, 2013 @ 7:03 am

So that story floored me and scared the heck out of me. How can you just be fine and then boom you’re not. My thought are with you all!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — August 7, 2013 @ 7:43 am

This story really shakes me to the core. My prayers are with the Crosby family. I hope and pray that healing happens really soon for Jason and his beautiful family!

Maria — August 7, 2013 @ 7:53 am

Such a pretty drink. Sending prayers to the Crosby family!

Julie @ Table for Two — August 7, 2013 @ 7:55 am

Wow, sending prayers and thoughts to the Crosby family. Cancer is a you-know-what. My grandfather recently passed from pancreatic cancer, too :( cheers to the Crosby family for their Faith & Hope! xoxo

Marian (Sweetopia) — August 7, 2013 @ 8:19 am

Sending hugs and prayers to the Crosby family! xoxo

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — August 7, 2013 @ 8:29 am

Prayers going out to The Crosby’s! What a strong family. Jason’s drink looks wonderful by the way, will have to give it a try.

Heather Christo — August 7, 2013 @ 8:49 am

XOXO. Prayers are with the Crosby family.

Bev @ Bev Cooks — August 7, 2013 @ 9:17 am

HATE cancer. Definitely sending some prayers to the Crosby family.

Also, in 6 months will you make this for me? Cool, cool.

Jenny Flake — August 7, 2013 @ 10:19 am

Yes, we will be praying for the Crosby family. Such a heartbreaking story.

Aimee — August 7, 2013 @ 11:17 am

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Crosby family. How fortunate they are to have good friends like you.

Toni | Boulder Locavore — August 7, 2013 @ 12:18 pm

Completely heartbreaking Sommer. Once you become a parent the depth and gravity of situations like this resonate on a completely different level.

Kathie — August 7, 2013 @ 12:59 pm

Pancreatic Cancer is just the nastiest disease. I have two friends fighting it and they are both having success. I think the reason for both of them is their strong faith and great attitudes. The statistics are not good, but they are just that statistics, and God doesn’t take much stock in them. I will be adding the Crosby family to my prayer for complete healing. God bless you for sharing their story and asking for help.

Ash- foodfashionparty — August 7, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

Our prayers and thoughts are with the Crosby family. I cannot imagine what they might go through, it is but God who should give the strength to deal with stuff like this.

marla — August 7, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

Such a lovely cocktail!!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.al — August 7, 2013 @ 1:49 pm

yes I will have one! Is it 5 yet?

Gaby — August 7, 2013 @ 2:16 pm

hook me up with one of these stat!! love this lady!

Kathie — August 7, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

Lt. Dan – I tried to open the link to Crosby Cancer Fund, but I got that funky icon that looks like a yellow splat with a red ! in the middle. Is that my computer being picky about opening something or is their another URL I could use?

Julia | JuliasAlbum.com — August 7, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

Love apricots! Apricots in a cocktail is even better! I’ll take two of these please. :)

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — August 7, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

Sending many prayers to the Crosby family!

Jeanette — August 8, 2013 @ 9:34 am

Cancer is such a tough thing. I know first hand from cooking for many people in my community with cancer. I do believe in food as medicine and the importance of love, faith and a strong support network when fighting cancer. Blessings to you and your family and prayers for healing to your friend.

Angie — August 8, 2013 @ 2:30 pm

Oh my gosh, such sad news, but that’s a beautiful cocktail. Sending prayers their way.

TidyMom — August 9, 2013 @ 6:09 am

many many prayers to the Crosby family! This is one gorgeous cocktail!

Laurie Bakke — August 9, 2013 @ 7:37 am

That is a powerful story. I sure hope each day for the Crosby family to find peace and wellness in their life. WOW! I will look for you to post more on current fund-raisers and the happenings in Asheville to help them.

Such a lovely cocktail!!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — August 12, 2013 @ 6:41 am

The ugliness of cancer is so hard to understand. Many prayers for all your friends and family who have been and still are being affected by cancer in their lives. Lovely, lovely cocktail.

Nancy Long — August 12, 2013 @ 7:52 am

My prayers are with them and understand what they are going through – one of my sons was diagnosed with llc 6-years a go and so far has been able to aboid chemo. He told the doctor he has 5 kids to raise and ever since his family is living life as if everyday is the last and know that they will always have these memories. One of his brothers is a match if the time comes that he needs the bone marrow. Praying that he never does.

Marly — August 12, 2013 @ 12:57 pm

What an inspirational post. I’m so glad we have some of the best science available to help people in situations like this. I’m also so glad that he took the time to slow down his life before receiving this news. And my thoughts are with him that he combination of scientific advances in cancer treatment and a holistic approach to diet can lead him to a full recovery!

1. Pingback: Thirsty Thursday – 3 Perfect Summer Cocktails!

2. Pingback: Indian Summer Cocktails