celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

How to Flash Freeze

Learn how to flash freeze, why to flash freeze, and what to flash freeze, so you can keep your frozen foods looking their best!

How to Flash Freeze

Flash freezing. if a bare-skinned college winter prank comes to mind, it’s time to do a little kitchen-term makeover. *wink*

As far as we’re concerned today, flash freezing is the process of freezing something quickly in open-air, in order to “set” the appearance of the food item.

We’ve all wrapped a layer cake in foil, or tossed some ripe berries in a freezer bag, and shoved them in the freezer, only to pull out a big frozen mess on a later date.

Why do we do that? We’re in a hurry, I guess.

My thought on this, is that if it’s worth freezing to save for later, it’s worth taking the time to flash freeze so it looks appealing later. Don’t you agree?

So here’s how I do it…

How to Flash Freeze

Make room in your freezer for a full or half-sized baking sheet.

Flash Freezing

Line a a rimmed baking sheet with foil or wax paper.

Place the food item you would like to flash freeze on the baking sheet. This can include anything that you want to maintain the appearance of:

how to flash freeze

If the items have loose pieces that you want to stick firmly together, mist the top of the food with non-stick cooking spray. Then place in the freezer for 30 minutes.

If you have an older freezer, it may take up to an hour for the initial freeze to set.

How to Flash Freeze FoodMy incredible KitchenAid Freezer optimizes humidity so the food doesn’t get freezer burn!

Once the food has set so that it’s hard on the outside, wrap and label the food item, as you normally would, and place back int he freezer.

I always put berries, produce, and small individually sized items like muffins in freezer zip bags. I wrap larger items like cakes and pies in foil, then again in plastic wrap to keep out the freezer burn.

How to Flash Freeze Your Food

It’s that easy.

Do you have any special tricks for freezing? Please share them below!

You May Also Like...

34 Responses to “How to Flash Freeze”

1. Christinaposted August 14, 2013 at 5:37 am

Flash freezing is a life-saver! I keep a regular supply of egg rolls and meatballs on hand by flash freezing them and then storing them in a freezer bag. They really add a lot to stir-fry and pasta nights!

2. Belinda @zomppaposted August 14, 2013 at 5:53 am

Great idea to do this!!

3. Morgan @ Peaches, Please!posted August 14, 2013 at 6:24 am

I’m so in awe. How are your fridge/freezer that clean and organized?!! I feel like mine get out of control every other day or so!

4. Marian (Sweetopia)posted August 14, 2013 at 6:46 am

Sommer, great idea and so glad to have your informative post on Pinterest stand-by. ;-)

5. Kevin @ Closet Cookingposted August 14, 2013 at 6:56 am

Great tips! I always stumble on step 1 “Make room in your freezer” it’s always packed! :)

6. marlaposted August 14, 2013 at 7:25 am

Such valuable tips Sommer!

7. Cookin Canuckposted August 14, 2013 at 7:37 am

Great tutorial, Sommer! Having extra berries, premade meals, etc. in the freezer is always such a time-saver.

8. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabblesposted August 14, 2013 at 7:49 am

I do this all the time! I can’t stand to waste food, and this is a great technique to save perfectly wonderful food for a later time. I love being able to pull something homemade out of the freezer when I’m pressed for time!

9. Karinposted August 14, 2013 at 7:58 am

This was great info! I’ve often wondered about this and now I know how. Thanks so much for sharing this.

10. Angie | Big Bear's Wifeposted August 14, 2013 at 7:58 am

ooo so, I’m really bad about tossing things into a bag and then shoving them into the freezer. I need to do this!

11. Jennifer @ Mother Thymeposted August 14, 2013 at 8:28 am

Love these tips Sommer!

12. Julie @ Table for Twoposted August 14, 2013 at 9:00 am

I’ve never done this before for some reason – or maybe I have and didn’t know it was called flash freezing :) haha either way, it’s an awesome tip!

13. Nutmeg Nannyposted August 14, 2013 at 9:05 am

This is so good to know! You are so helpful :)

14. Mariaposted August 14, 2013 at 9:13 am

Great tips! Thanks for sharing!

15. Heather Christoposted August 14, 2013 at 9:27 am

Awesome. My freezer is like a war zone, so these are great tips for me!

16. Ash- foodfashionpartyposted August 14, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Nice tips, and look at your fridge…I am going to clean mine now..

17. Rebecca Wardposted August 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I did this during June when I got a great deal on blueberries. My three year old loves them and eats her weight in blueberries, so it’s nice to use them as a little frozen treat or to throw them (still frozen) on top of some yogurt or cereal, or stick a handful into a smoothie.

18. naomiposted August 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Love the tips, my problem is I need to actually purge my freeer for flash freezing.

19. Shereeposted August 14, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Great tips, however where is the tip on what to flash freeze?

• MARALYN WOODS — September 2nd, 2013 @ 2:32 pm

Almost anything. Think about what is in the freezer case at the market. I currently have French toast I made from cinnamon raisin bread, thick slices of rare roast beef, two inch thick slices ofuncooked pork tenderloin as well as fillet mignon ( both cheaper when purchased whole and cut to varying sizes), garlic bread waiting to be broiled, homemade breakfast sausage patties, pancakes and waffles I make about once every six weeks. When you are cooking or shopping just ask yourself, “should I cook/buy enough to flash freeze extra for easy prep later on? ” Once you start doing it it will just become a habit.

20. Colette (Coco)posted August 14, 2013 at 4:09 pm

We freeze homemade marinara and basil pesto in sandwhich bags.
    Makes weeknight meals a breeze!

21. Laura (Tutti Dolci)posted August 14, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Great tips, I flash freeze whenever I have freezer space. I didn’t know about the nonstick spray trick, so I’ll have to try that next time!

22. Abby of Baby Birds Farmposted August 14, 2013 at 7:26 pm

So many great tips! I am definitely looking forward to trying some of these ideas. I don’t have too many tips to share, but if anyone has any extra tomatoes this time of year :) I have a post with step by step photos of preparing tomatoes for freezing. If you don’t mind me sharing, here is a link: babybirdsfarm.com/tomato-time-putting-up-for-the-winter

23. Kristenposted August 15, 2013 at 7:34 am

Flash freezing is one of the greatest things, ever! Love your tips!

24. Diane {Created by Diane}posted August 15, 2013 at 10:51 am

I freeze just about everything and flash freezing is the best! Great tips.

25. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchenposted August 15, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I love to flash freeze fruit during the summer to use later during the year.

26. carolinaheartstringsposted August 15, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Great post. I love this! I have done this with fruit, but now will do this with all kinds of things.

27. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchenposted August 16, 2013 at 6:50 am

I love doing this, but I do have to make myself slow down and take the time. It is so worthwhile.

28. Jeanetteposted August 16, 2013 at 9:27 am

Fun post Sommer! I freeze homemade Chinese dumplings on plates and then stick them in a baggie.

29. Angieposted August 16, 2013 at 10:01 am

Great tutorial!

30. Chrisposted August 17, 2013 at 9:35 pm

You misspelled #1, it’s “Go to the store and buy that extra freezer for the garage that you know you’ve needed for 3 years.” ;) :) :0

Great tip!

31. Carolynposted August 20, 2013 at 5:12 am

Please tell me that your fridge isn’t actually that need or clean! Mine certainly isn’t. Great tutorial!

32. bethposted November 10, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Will flash freezing keep my produce from being soggy when thawed out? I’ve regular frozen zucchini,bananas and bell pepper before. but they were all mushy after thawed :( It made me sad. None of the items were pre-cooked.

33. Pingback: Best Meatloaf Recipe - Simple Meatloaf Recipe | A Spicy Perspective