How to Flash Freeze

Learn how to flash freeze, why to flash freeze, and what to flash freeze, so you can keep your frozen foods looking their best!

How to Flash Freeze

Flash freezing. if a bare-skinned college winter prank comes to mind, it’s time to do a little kitchen-term makeover. *wink*

As far as we’re concerned today, flash freezing is the process of freezing something quickly in open-air, in order to “set” the appearance of the food item.

We’ve all wrapped a layer cake in foil, or tossed some ripe berries in a freezer bag, and shoved them in the freezer, only to pull out a big frozen mess on a later date.

Why do we do that? We’re in a hurry, I guess.

My thought on this, is that if it’s worth freezing to save for later, it’s worth taking the time to flash freeze so it looks appealing later. Don’t you agree?

So here’s how I do it…

How to Flash Freeze

Make room in your freezer for a full or half-sized baking sheet.

Flash Freezing

Line a a rimmed baking sheet with foil or wax paper.

Place the food item you would like to flash freeze on the baking sheet. This can include anything that you want to maintain the appearance of:

how to flash freeze

If the items have loose pieces that you want to stick firmly together, mist the top of the food with non-stick cooking spray. Then place in the freezer for 30 minutes.

If you have an older freezer, it may take up to an hour for the initial freeze to set.

How to Flash Freeze FoodMy incredible KitchenAid Freezer optimizes humidity so the food doesn’t get freezer burn!

Once the food has set so that it’s hard on the outside, wrap and label the food item, as you normally would, and place back int he freezer.

I always put berries, produce, and small individually sized items like muffins in freezer zip bags. I wrap larger items like cakes and pies in foil, then again in plastic wrap to keep out the freezer burn.

How to Flash Freeze Your Food

It’s that easy.

Do you have any special tricks for freezing? Please share them below!

34 Responses to “How to Flash Freeze”

Christina — August 14, 2013 @ 5:37 am

Flash freezing is a life-saver! I keep a regular supply of egg rolls and meatballs on hand by flash freezing them and then storing them in a freezer bag. They really add a lot to stir-fry and pasta nights!

Belinda @zomppa — August 14, 2013 @ 5:53 am

Great idea to do this!!

Morgan @ Peaches, Please! — August 14, 2013 @ 6:24 am

I’m so in awe. How are your fridge/freezer that clean and organized?!! I feel like mine get out of control every other day or so!

Marian (Sweetopia) — August 14, 2013 @ 6:46 am

Sommer, great idea and so glad to have your informative post on Pinterest stand-by. ;-)

Kevin @ Closet Cooking — August 14, 2013 @ 6:56 am

Great tips! I always stumble on step 1 “Make room in your freezer” it’s always packed! :)

marla — August 14, 2013 @ 7:25 am

Such valuable tips Sommer!

Cookin Canuck — August 14, 2013 @ 7:37 am

Great tutorial, Sommer! Having extra berries, premade meals, etc. in the freezer is always such a time-saver.

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — August 14, 2013 @ 7:49 am

I do this all the time! I can’t stand to waste food, and this is a great technique to save perfectly wonderful food for a later time. I love being able to pull something homemade out of the freezer when I’m pressed for time!

Karin — August 14, 2013 @ 7:58 am

This was great info! I’ve often wondered about this and now I know how. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — August 14, 2013 @ 7:58 am

ooo so, I’m really bad about tossing things into a bag and then shoving them into the freezer. I need to do this!

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — August 14, 2013 @ 8:28 am

Love these tips Sommer!

Julie @ Table for Two — August 14, 2013 @ 9:00 am

I’ve never done this before for some reason – or maybe I have and didn’t know it was called flash freezing :) haha either way, it’s an awesome tip!

Nutmeg Nanny — August 14, 2013 @ 9:05 am

This is so good to know! You are so helpful :)

Maria — August 14, 2013 @ 9:13 am

Great tips! Thanks for sharing!

Heather Christo — August 14, 2013 @ 9:27 am

Awesome. My freezer is like a war zone, so these are great tips for me!

Ash- foodfashionparty — August 14, 2013 @ 12:32 pm

Nice tips, and look at your fridge…I am going to clean mine now..

Rebecca Ward — August 14, 2013 @ 12:53 pm

I did this during June when I got a great deal on blueberries. My three year old loves them and eats her weight in blueberries, so it’s nice to use them as a little frozen treat or to throw them (still frozen) on top of some yogurt or cereal, or stick a handful into a smoothie.

naomi — August 14, 2013 @ 12:57 pm

Love the tips, my problem is I need to actually purge my freeer for flash freezing.

Sheree — August 14, 2013 @ 3:37 pm

Great tips, however where is the tip on what to flash freeze?

• MARALYN WOODS — September 2nd, 2013 @ 2:32 pm

Almost anything. Think about what is in the freezer case at the market. I currently have French toast I made from cinnamon raisin bread, thick slices of rare roast beef, two inch thick slices ofuncooked pork tenderloin as well as fillet mignon ( both cheaper when purchased whole and cut to varying sizes), garlic bread waiting to be broiled, homemade breakfast sausage patties, pancakes and waffles I make about once every six weeks. When you are cooking or shopping just ask yourself, “should I cook/buy enough to flash freeze extra for easy prep later on? ” Once you start doing it it will just become a habit.

Colette (Coco) — August 14, 2013 @ 4:09 pm

We freeze homemade marinara and basil pesto in sandwhich bags.
    Makes weeknight meals a breeze!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — August 14, 2013 @ 6:26 pm

Great tips, I flash freeze whenever I have freezer space. I didn’t know about the nonstick spray trick, so I’ll have to try that next time!

Abby of Baby Birds Farm — August 14, 2013 @ 7:26 pm

So many great tips! I am definitely looking forward to trying some of these ideas. I don’t have too many tips to share, but if anyone has any extra tomatoes this time of year :) I have a post with step by step photos of preparing tomatoes for freezing. If you don’t mind me sharing, here is a link: babybirdsfarm.com/tomato-time-putting-up-for-the-winter

Kristen — August 15, 2013 @ 7:34 am

Flash freezing is one of the greatest things, ever! Love your tips!

Diane {Created by Diane} — August 15, 2013 @ 10:51 am

I freeze just about everything and flash freezing is the best! Great tips.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — August 15, 2013 @ 1:42 pm

I love to flash freeze fruit during the summer to use later during the year.

carolinaheartstrings — August 15, 2013 @ 6:46 pm

Great post. I love this! I have done this with fruit, but now will do this with all kinds of things.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — August 16, 2013 @ 6:50 am

I love doing this, but I do have to make myself slow down and take the time. It is so worthwhile.

Jeanette — August 16, 2013 @ 9:27 am

Fun post Sommer! I freeze homemade Chinese dumplings on plates and then stick them in a baggie.

Angie — August 16, 2013 @ 10:01 am

Great tutorial!

Chris — August 17, 2013 @ 9:35 pm

You misspelled #1, it’s “Go to the store and buy that extra freezer for the garage that you know you’ve needed for 3 years.” ;) :) :0

Great tip!

Carolyn — August 20, 2013 @ 5:12 am

Please tell me that your fridge isn’t actually that need or clean! Mine certainly isn’t. Great tutorial!

beth — November 10, 2013 @ 11:37 pm

Will flash freezing keep my produce from being soggy when thawed out? I’ve regular frozen zucchini,bananas and bell pepper before. but they were all mushy after thawed :( It made me sad. None of the items were pre-cooked.

1. Pingback: Best Meatloaf Recipe - Simple Meatloaf Recipe | A Spicy Perspective