Step right up. I’ve got your Week 2 Hot Dog Recipe right here: the “Southern Comfort” Bacon Hot Dog with Southern Slaw and Beans. This one is not to be missed.
Last week we kicked off July’s “Dog Days of Summer” series with an amazing Green Chile Mole Dog. Every Friday in July I’ll be sharing an easy and intriguing hot dog recipe for your summer get-togethers. If you missed the Mole Dog last week, make sure to check it out!
I’ve lived in the south for over 8 years now and have learned a thing or two about real southern cooking.
For instance, butter or bacon (grease) are essential ingredients in nearly every dish. A good cast iron skillet is the endall kitchen tool. So much so, well-seasoned skillets are often passed down through generations like priceless family jewels. I’ve also learned a rule of thumb in southern cuisine, “If it’s not sweet, it better be spicy.”
Following these southern cooking “rules” has served me well.
So for this week’s hot dog recipe I thought it would be fun to pile the dogs with some of my favorite southern flavors. This hot dog recipe is loaded with sweet and spicy baked beans, cool southern slaw, tangy pickled okra, and of course, a strip of crispy bacon.
These bacon hot dogs were a huge hit! It just goes to show, we could all use a little “southern comfort” every now and again.
"Southern Comfort" Bacon Hot Dog Recipe with Southern Slaw
Yield: 8 hot dogs
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
- 8 hot dogs or polish sausages
- 8 hot dog buns
- 22 oz. can good baked beans (I like Bushes Grillin' Beans)
- 8 pickled okra, halved lengthwise
- 8 strips bacon
- 1 lb. bag southern slaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 3 Tb. rice vinegar
- 2 Tb. sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- Caraway seeds and hot sauce optional
- Preheat the grill to high heat and place a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the bacon in the skillet until crisp, then remove and drain over paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, mix the mayo, vinegar and sugar together until smooth. Toss in the southern slaw mix to coat. Salt and pepper to taste. If desired add caraway seeds and/or hot sauce to the slaw. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Place the bean in a small pot, then put the pot and the hot dogs on the grill. Grill the hot dogs for 4-6 minutes, turning for even char marks.
- To serve: Place a hot dog in each bun and wedge a strip of bacon next to it. Top with warm beans, slaw, and two pickled okra halves.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!