celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Szechuan Beef Burgers

It’s Burger Friday, Whoo-hooooo! Let’s celebrate with Szechuan Beef Burgers! A savory blend of all you love about Chinese takeout and backyard grilling.

Last week, I declared June as Burger Month here on A Spicy Perspective. That means every Friday this month I will share a sensational hamburger recipe, perfect for your summer get-togethers.

Since this is just about the only place I get to “declare” anything, I’m really excited about it.

I wish you could see my happy dance… it’s pretty spectacular.

We are a diehard Asian food family.

Although we like to experience flavors from all over the world. If you ask us what we want for dinner, these are the answers every time.

“Chinese.”

“Sushi.”

“Thai.”

“Vietnamese.”

“Korean.”

“Fried Rice.”

“Noodle Bowls.”

“Hot Pots.”

I could go on…

Spicy Szechuan Beef Burgers | ASpicyPerspective.com #recipe #burger #hamburger #grilling #chineseLina Aqua Dishes from Villeroy & Boch.

In fact, the only person in our family that does not always answer this way is Lt. Dan.

He loves to experiment with food as well, but falls back on steak, pizza, or burgers, God bless him. So this summer I thought it would be fun to combine the Asian flavors we love best with an old-fashioned beef burger.

Then everybody is happy.

Spicy Szechuan Beef Hamburgers | ASpicyPerspective.com #recipe #burger #hamburger #grilling #chinese

Szechuan Beef Burgers are a spicy amalgamation of the Szechuan ingredients you might find in recipes like Crispy Szechuan Beef, Kung Pao Stir Frys, and Dan Dan Noodles.

Ginger, garlic, peanuts, sesame, Chinese vinegar, soy, and a whole lot of spice make these burgers completely irresistible.

Typically the standout ingredient in most Szechuan style recipes are Szechuan peppercorns. As they can be hard to find, I substituted sriracha sauce and fresh jalapeños to produce that spicy heat that makes Szechuan cuisine so appealing.

Each Szechuan Beef Burger is piled with spicy stir fried vegetables and peanuts for a savory crunch. You can skip the bun and serve these burgers between crisp lettuce leaves to make them even more veggie-licious!

Szechuan Beef Burgers

For the Szechuan Stir Fry Topping:

• 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced thin
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced thin
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 1 bunch scallions, cut into 1 1/2 inch sections
  • 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
  • 1-2 fresh jalapeños, seeded and sliced thin (optional)
  • 1 Tb. sesame oil
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  •  1/4 cup dry sherry
  • 1 Tb. black Chinese vinegar (sub rice vinegar)
  • 1-2 tsp. sriracha sauce
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tb. fresh grated ginger
  • 1 tsp. cornstarch
  • water

For the Szechuan Beef Burgers:

• 6 Buns
  • Wasabi Mayonnaise (optional)

1. In a medium bowl, mix the ground beef with the hoisin, peanut butter, soy sauce and sriracha by hand, until smooth. Form into 6 patties that are just larger than the buns. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
  2. Preheat the grill to high heat. Slice all the veggies into thin even julienne-style pieces. Mix the Soy sauce, sherry, black vinegar, garlic, ginger and sriracha together in a small bowl. Whisk in the corn starch and have another 1/2 cup of water ready on the side.
  3. Grill the patties for 3-5 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and cover with foil.
  4. Preheat a wok (or large skillet) on high heat. Add a scant amount of sesame oil, and stir fry the veggies in small batches for 30-60 seconds until just barely cooked and slightly charred. (You won't get char marks if you use too much oil or add all the veggies at once.) Turn off the heat and add the liquid mixture. Whisk to thicken. If the sauce is too thick, add a little water until you reach your preferred thickness. Mix in the stir fried veggies and peanuts.
  5. To Serve: Place a patty on each bun and top wth stir fired veggies. If you need even more kick, shmeer the buns with Wasabi Mayo. (1/2 mayo + 1 tsp. wasabi paste)

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

More Big Bad Burgers

Guac and Chip Burger ~ Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice

Hawaiian Teriyaki Burgers ~ Skinny Taste

Taco Burger ~ How Sweet It Is

Sweet Tater Black Bean Burger ~ Edible Perspective

You May Also Like...

49 Responses to “Szechuan Beef Burgers”

1. Belinda @zomppaposted June 14, 2013 at 4:13 am

The best of all worlds make for a great burger!

2. Tieghanposted June 14, 2013 at 5:53 am

OKay, this is another AWESOME burger!! I never would of thought of this combo, but mad it sounds so good!! I love szechuan! These are crazy, but in such a good way!

3. shelly (cookies and cups)posted June 14, 2013 at 6:09 am

hese look so so good! My husband will love them..Szechuan Beef is one of his favorites!

4. Julie @ Table for Twoposted June 14, 2013 at 6:40 am

You are SO CREATIVE!! I love all your burger combinations. They look so mouth-watering. When I come visit you in Asheville next year, can we please make some of this? :) hehe

• Sommer — June 14th, 2013 @ 7:31 am

Yeah girl!! You know it!

5. Heather Christoposted June 14, 2013 at 6:45 am

All hail Burger month!!! I am a big fan of the idea and of this amazing burger in particular. It looks delicious!!

6. Mariaposted June 14, 2013 at 6:47 am

Now that is a burger! Nice!

7. Stephanie @ Girl Versus Doughposted June 14, 2013 at 7:42 am

Mmmm, burger me, please! :)

8. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cookingposted June 14, 2013 at 8:15 am

That’s so cool that you and your family enjoy Asian meals at home so much, Sommer! I aspire to cook more Asian dishes at home and would love to start with these gorgeous burgers!

9. Paula - bell'alimentoposted June 14, 2013 at 8:39 am

Love a good burger!

10. Angieposted June 14, 2013 at 8:42 am

How unique! I love trying new burgers!

11. cassie - bake your dayposted June 14, 2013 at 9:22 am

What a great way to enjoy a burger. I adore these flavors!

12. Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pigposted June 14, 2013 at 9:30 am

This looks totally incredible. I share your love of these flavors!!! Beautiful photos too.

13. marlaposted June 14, 2013 at 9:44 am

Great looking burgers!! I wanna try them this weekend :)

14. Jamie @lifelovelemonsposted June 14, 2013 at 10:54 am

Two of my favorite things ever combined into one! LOVE this!

15. Laura (Tutti Dolci)posted June 14, 2013 at 10:05 am

This is one of the best looking burgers I’ve ever seen!

16. Amandaposted June 14, 2013 at 10:37 am

This is the most stunning burger I have ever seen, Sommer!! I am blown away by your photography!! Let’s have a burger bar along with our doughnut bar, okay? :D

• Sommer — June 14th, 2013 @ 11:29 am

Awe, thanks Amanda! Sounds like a good plan…

17. Barbara | Creative Culinaryposted June 14, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Add pad thai and pho and you have our list! Lovely…but really, where is the dance video, huh?

• Sommer — June 14th, 2013 @ 12:20 pm

Haha! I may just make one for you and Brian. ;)

18. Brian @ A Thought For Foodposted June 14, 2013 at 11:10 am

Oh yes… I think I’d like to see that happy dance. I need video proof that it exists.

19. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungryposted June 14, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Now that is one spectacular burger!

20. Abbyposted June 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm

these look so, so delicious….
    love them!

21. nessaposted June 14, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Such a great combo!

22. Betty Lynneposted June 14, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Lovin’ the burger month theme! But it has to be Saturday as Friday night is pizza night in our house! Awesome looking burger and can’t wait to try it!

23. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchenposted June 14, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Seriously the best burger I’ve seen in a long time. You are a ROCK STAR.

24. Shawn @ I Wash You Dryposted June 14, 2013 at 5:35 pm

EEE-GATS!! I love this burger! We are huge fans of the Asian cuisine over here too, so I can’t wait to try this! I totally love your “pin button” on your photos too. I recently got something similar on my photos, but I love yours a lot more. Can you share who/where you got those? Thanks!!!

• Sommer — June 14th, 2013 @ 8:45 pm

Hey Shawn! It’s probably the same plugin you have, but you can add your own graphic. I just inserted the pin button icon from my subscription options.

25. Sandy@ReluctantEntertainerposted June 14, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Another great burger, Sommer! So yummy!

26. Marian (Sweetopia)posted June 14, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Wow, looks so amazing!

27. Diane {Created by Diane}posted June 14, 2013 at 10:30 pm

oh the flavors on this are calling my name, LOUDLY :)

28. Kristenposted June 15, 2013 at 8:48 am

Holy cow, Sommer – this is the burger of all burgers! LOVE it!

29. Chrisposted June 16, 2013 at 7:30 am

Dang…I pinned, stumbled, AND google+ this one. You see a million burger recipes every year and they get lost in a blur of bacon and cheese. But this one seems like something special.

30. Bev @ Bev Cooksposted June 16, 2013 at 9:52 am

YESSSSSSSEYSYEYSesyeyseysyeysyysysssssss.

31. Carolynposted June 17, 2013 at 4:16 am

Okay, now these I have to make! All those yummy toppings. You come up with the best burgers!

32. Jeanetteposted June 17, 2013 at 7:53 am

Love all the Asian flavors in your burger Sommer! Wish we could cook together!

33. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girlposted June 17, 2013 at 10:07 am

I like this spicy burger instead of the usual burgers we make, going to add this on the list of recipes to try this week – thanks!

34. Russellposted June 17, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Awesome burger recipe! Now I’m hungry.

35. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabblesposted June 18, 2013 at 2:08 pm

This burger looks absolutely fabulous, Sommer!!

36. Megan {Country Cleaver}posted June 18, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Burger month? You’re a woman after my own heart!! This looks amazing Sommer!

37. Aggieposted June 19, 2013 at 7:18 am

WOWZERS!! This looks amazing and so creative Sommer!! My husband would freak over this burger.

38. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchenposted June 22, 2013 at 6:19 am

This burger is brilliant! I must have one!

39. Pingback: What is On Your Menu? - Just Us Four

40. Pingback: The Ultimate Hamburger Helper: 6 Burger Recipes | Kitchenability

41. Nutmeg Nannyposted June 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm

This burger looks so incredible, my husband will flip when I make this for him!

42. StufZposted November 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Good post. This spicy Szechuan beef burger seems worth the try. Thanks for sharing.

43. Pingback: An Edible Mosaic™ » 50 Fabulous Burger Recipes

44. Terriposted July 10, 2014 at 1:15 pm

these were delicious , nice heat to the flavor , will be trying more of your recipes

45. Chazposted April 23, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Hi – Thanks for the recipe! I had to find a recipe for beef and nuts, for a friendly cooking competition I did with a friend. So, I searched the Internet until I landed on this. I followed your recipe for a practice round before the big day, and my son loved it. But I found that mixing the hoisin and peanut butter into the burger meat made it too sugary and prone to burning. So, I decided to use the peanut sauce just as a topping on the cooked burger. But then I had to do something to the burger meat to give it a Chinese flavor. So, I mixed in Szechuan peppercorns into the raw meat.  Wow. What a flavor.  The peppercorns gave the burger that amazing Szechuan flavor that you can’t find in any other type of cuisine.  That, coupled with peanut sauce and your sautéed peppers was an amazing flavor bomb, totally Szechuan! And, my wife likes pickles on her burger, so I put a coulple of sliced pickled jalapeños on it. While the end result was too much for my 10-year old, the adults loved it! Next time, I will make some each way. Thanks for your creativity!