Grilled Chicken Tex-Mex Pizza + Giveaway
A Grilled Pizza everyone will love! This Chicken Pizza Recipe is topped with fresh and spicy Tex-Mex flavors. A mexican pizza perfect for party snacks or dinner.
We’ve been making a lot of pizza lately.
Not long ago we had family in town and decided to have a “Make Your Own Pizza Night” on a whim. We kneaded the dough late in the day and had to wait for it to rise. Yet those late-night pizzas were a huge success and my family has been craving homemade pizza ever since.
With all the pizza-making going on, we tried quite a variety of pies: grilled pizza, mexican pizza, steak pizza, wild mushroom pizza, artichoke pizza, and a killer chicken pizza recipe.
So today I thought I’d combine all my favorite elements from our pizza endeavors into one glorious pizza pie!
It’s a grilled pizza, a mexican pizza, and a chicken pizza recipe rolled into one.
Introducing Grilled Chicken Tex-Mex Pizza!
I grilled this pizza on my favorite grilling stone, piled with red enchilada sauce, spicy grilled chicken, and hispanic cheeses. Then once it was ready, I sprinkled on all my favorite cold Tex-Mex toppings, like diced tomato, avocado, cilantro, and scallions. Then I drizzled the whole pizza with fresh mexican crema.
This Mexican chicken pizza recipe is certainly crave-worthy. I can attest to that.
And don’t worry if you don’t own a grill. This “grilled pizza” can be baked in the oven just as easily.
Yield: 2 pizzas
Prep Time: 2 1/2 hours (30 mins active)
Total Time: 30 minutes
Grilled Chicken Tex Mex Pizza
For the Spicy Grilled Chicken:
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 1 tsp. chipotle chile pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
For the Grilled Pizzas:
- 2 lbs. pizza dough, homemade or packaged
- 2 Tb. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded enchilado cheese (or monterey jack)
- 1 cup crumbles queso fresco cheese
- 1 large diced tomato
- 1 diced avocado
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup crema mexicana (or sour cream)
- 2 Tb. corn meal
- Place 2 - 1 pound balls of pizza dough in two separate oiled bowls, and cover with damp tea towels. Allow the dough to rise for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs, until double in size.
- For the chicken, drizzle the chicken breasts with olive oil. Mix the spices and salt in a small bowl and sprinkle liberally all over the chicken, then rub in the spices. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Then grill the chicken over medium heat for 8-12 minutes. Once cool, chop into bite size pieces.
- Once the dough has risen, preheat the grill to high heat and place a grilling stone or pizze stone on the grates. (You could also place a baking stone in the oven at 500 degrees F.)
- Punch down each dough ball and roll (or stretch) the dough out into a thin 14 inch circle. Brush the surface with oil and allow the dough to rise a few more minutes while you chop the toppings.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of cornmeal over the surface of two flat cookie sheets. Transfer the pizza doughs onto the cookie sheets and re-stretch if needed. Spread 1/4 cup enchilada sauce on each crust, then sprinkle with half the chopped chicken, 1/2 cup enchilado cheese, and 1/2 cup queso fresco.
- With a gentle thrust, slide one pizza off the cookie sheet onto the hot grilling stone. Close the grill cover and grill for 7-10 minutes until the crust in bubbly and brown on the bottom. Use the cookie sheet to remove it from the grill, and repeat with the remaining pizza.
- Once the pizzas are grilled, top each with fresh tomatoes, avocado, scallions, and cilantro. Pour the crema mexicana in a squirt bottle and drizzle over the top of each pizza. Cut and serve.
I love throwing homemade pizza straight on the grill. However, sometimes the crust burns before the toppings are cooked through. That’s what makes grilling stones such a great invention.
You can achieve that smoky grilled pizza flavor without your dough sticking to the grates.
I’m crazy about my Emile Henry Grilling and Pizza Stones. First of all they are gorgeous… and they cook like a champ on the grill or in the oven.
Emile Henry Ovenware is made in France, crafted from pure Burgundy clay. The combination of this prime ceramic clay and Emile Henry’s special all-natural glaze, makes them extremely durable and great for high-heat cooking. These ovenware pieces can go from the freezer to the oven or grill (and into the dishwasher) without skipping a beat.
Emile Henry is offering a Grilling Stone and Pizza Stone Set as a giveaway today!
These stones come in 4 color choices and are crafted from all-natural materials.
Follow the prompts in this automated entry form. (For US residents only.)
Disclosure: Emile Henry provided the baking stones for this post and giveaway.
SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email + Our FREE eCookbook Top 25 Recipes!
179 Responses to “Grilled Chicken Tex-Mex Pizza + Giveaway”
Pingback: Top 10 Spicy Chicken Tex-Mex Meals