Getting a Little Personal

I wanted to do something a little different today, just for kicks. I thought it would be fun to get a little personal.

Land O'Lakes gifMe, Heather and Brenda at BlogHer Food in Austin, TX.

Sometimes it feels strange sitting behind my computer screen sharing recipes, stories of daily life, and on some days baring a little piece of my soul. Yet aside from a handful of comments, I never really know who’s reading along.

I do receive regular reader emails, Facebook comments, pins, and tweets, so I know you’re out there. For those of you who don’t make contact, I see you in my site analytics program, so I know you’re out there as well. *wink*

And don’t worry…. I read a lot of blogs and often don’t leave comments either.

I just wish there was a way to get to know each other a little better. So here’s an idea. I’d like to conduct a little “activity” today so we can get better acquainted.

I’m going to tell you 5 non-food related facts about me, silly but personal stuff.

Then would you tell me 5 things about you?

Or even ONE?

Let’s give this a try….

5 Things about me you probably don’t know:

One.

I like british period films (think BBC) AND zombie movies, equally. If anyone ever produces a zombie version of Pride and Prejudice, I’m all in.

Two.

You know how kids lie when they’re in middle school to impress their friends? I used to tell people I was born on a sailboat. Because obviously, all cool kids are born on a sailboats. (Honestly, what was I thinking?) If any junior high friends are reading along, sorry!

Three.

Before I go to bed, I often lay in the dark and play Yahtzee on my iPad. Yes, it’s old-school. Yes, there are much cooler iPad games these days. Yes, there are plenty of books I could be reading. What can I say, Yahtzee relaxes me and brainlessly washes away the craziness of the day.

On a side note, when I do pick up a novel, I turn into a book junky and can’t put it down. I usually devour the entire book in one night which makes for a VERY cranky following day. I’ve been caught, on several occasions, reading the last chapter of a thick novel at 6:30 in the morning, after I started reading it at 10 pm the night before.

Yahtzee is safer.

Four.

I’m a cryer. Yep, bring on the water works. Whether I’m happy, sad, angry, embarrassed, beaming with pride, frustrated, or confused, I get teary-eyed. Can’t help it, it’s got to be a genetic thing. Even the burly men in my family are cryers.

The strange thing is, I’m not really all that sensitive. Or at least I don’t get my feelings hurt very easily. But I do cry. A lot.

Five.

As a kid, I used to day dream about being a broadway singer. My mom and I watched all the old broadway shows together on video (and some live performances.) I would learn every word of my favorite songs and belt them out when no one was around.

Can I sing? No.

But that never stopped me from putting on one heck of a show in the bathroom mirror.

The Collier Fam

Now your turn; I’m dying to know.

Tell me five interesting things about you! …or just ONE good one.

And for those of you who have never left a blog comment, I invite you to give it try. It’s painless, fun, therapeutic, and your email address remains private.

Tell me about YOU!

You Might Also Like

132 Responses to “Getting a Little Personal”

Shelby — June 19, 2013 @ 9:51 pm

How different we are, but all love your blog. This is me:
    1. Married and still in love with my sweet husband after 50 years.
    2. Do not feel as old as I thought I would at this age.
    3. Absolutely love cream cheese/Eagle brand milk/ whipped cream desserts.
    4. Love cooking and baking with my 12 year old granddaughter.
    5. When I got my iPad in 2010, predicted that in the near future everyone would want or have one . What a fun device!

• Sommer — June 20th, 2013 @ 6:30 am

Hi Shelby, Congrats on your 50 years! I’m with you, anything with sweetened condensed milk is alright by me. :)

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — June 19, 2013 @ 11:27 pm

This is my first time commenting. In fact, I’m a very new reader but already one who adores your blog. I’m more than happy to play along:
    1) I will never get on board with the e-reader (i.e. Kindle, etc). Real books will always hold a place in my heart. Seriously, the printing press is one of the most amazing human inventions of all time and I intend to fully support it until the day I die!
    2) I will scrutinize every book I buy for any imperfections. If it’s got a dent or a crease, I’m not buying it. I even used to do this for my text books! Weird, I know!
    3) I always seem to hate things that are really in style and will love it later. For example, I couldn’t stand New Kids on the Block, Brittney Spears and the Spice Girls when they were at the height of their popularity. Now, I sing along to all of their songs.
    4) It’s funny that you dreamt of becoming a broadway singer because that is my ultimate dream job. It combines everything – my love of singing, acting and dancing. If I could give it all up (and if only I had the talent!) I’d head to NYC right now and start auditioning!
    5) I can still sing along to every word of The Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables and Rent. I love those musicals so much!

• Sommer — June 20th, 2013 @ 6:28 am

I just watched Phantom of the Opera again this week (the one with Gerard Butler.) Love that show!! Another favorite of mine is Funny Girl. :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — June 19, 2013 @ 11:30 pm

You girls are so so cute!! Love the 1st photo!! So nice we were able to meet at FBF, Sommer. And thanks for sharing your list. It’s nice to know more about each other, other than just recipes :)

Catherine — June 20, 2013 @ 11:29 am

I totally get what you mean by that crying thing, it is totally me lately. I find it embarrassing to be on the prayer team at church and I cry when I pray over others even when they do not cry. Their eyes pop open at the end and sometimes they jerk their heads back when they see my tear stained, red face. So embarrassing.

• Sommer — June 23rd, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

I hear ya, girl. Crying can be very inconvenient!

Rachel — June 20, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

I think your idea of getting to know your readers is such a wonderful idea! So here goes :)
    1~ growing up I had dreamed of having a career that would keep me so busy that I wouldn’t have time for a family… Fast forward 1 have FOUR wonderful kids who are my full-time job!
    2~ I love to fish!
    3~ I will go to Italy one day!
    4~ I have somehow been sucked in to the Candy Crush Saga :(
    5~ I put hot sauce on almost everything I eat :)

• Sommer — June 23rd, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

Rachel, you and me both on the hot sauce!

Michelle B. — June 21, 2013 @ 8:50 am

Cute and fun idea!
    1. I like my fruit cut up in bite size pieces.
    2. I have double jointed thumbs.
    3. I home schooled for 11 years and graduated our son.
    4. I don’t care for milk chocolate.
    5. When I get to heaven I’m hoping to understand why God created flies, gnats, tarantulas, and earwigs. I will ask if the information isn’t readily available, because I have to know why. I just do.

Happy Day!

• Sommer — June 23rd, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

Michelle, LOL on #5! Let me know what he says. :)

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — June 22, 2013 @ 6:09 am

You are so much fun, I just love reading your posts, always inspiring.

I’m a cryer too my boys think it’s so silly.

Laura @ Family Spice — June 22, 2013 @ 9:37 am

ha! ha! I love this! I’m a super private person, myself, so this is out of the box for me. After almost 5 years of blogging, I didn’t get personal about my family until year 3?!! And since I’ve been reading your blog since I began blogging, I will “get personal” with you!

1. I am obsessed with British TV/films, too! I’m currently devouring the new “Upstairs/Downstairs” series. FUN! FUN! Gotta love Netflix/Amazon Streaming!
    2. I do all of my worrying in the dead of night. I worry about my kids, our health, our future, terrorists, the end of the world… you name it, but I do it only at night when I’m trying to sleep. During the day, I’m fine. Go figure.
    3. Despite all the foods I’ve tried from all over the world, I still love my bottle pickled herring – makes my family hurl, but I don’t care!
    4. I need a bite of chocolate everyday. Yes, NEED! Just a few chocolate chips will do the trick.
    5. I daydream all the time, ever since I was a kid. Maybe one day I will write a novel about one of those stories I make up??

• Sommer — June 23rd, 2013 @ 2:07 pm

Laura, I need a bite of chocolate everyday too. I always have a bag of small Dove chocolates (or something similar) handy.

Darlene — June 22, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

1. I started reading your blog because my husband and I lived in Asheville for five years. Fletcher actually. My sweet baby boy (13) was born at Mission St. Joes. We will get him back there one day.
    2. I love all things about cooking and baking. I am pretty good at it too. That’s not a brag –I just don’t have too many talents.
    3. I would enjoy working in the yard more if there were not so many critters.
    4. I am quiet and shy. I used to hate but as I have gotten older I have learned to embrace it.
    5. My husband recently changed careers — it is really fun to see him so happy!

Love your blog!

• Sommer — June 23rd, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

Hi Darlene, it seems a lot of people find A Spicy Perspective because of Asheville. It’s such a magical place.

Congratulations to your husband! Having a job you really enjoy seems to take years off your life. :)

Colleen — June 25, 2013 @ 1:43 pm

How fun – I am one who typically never responds but I am breaking the mold today!

I love, love and adore Golden Retrievers
    I am a huge supporter of animal rescue groups
    I wish I had a cool blog, I lack talent and imagination however! Thank you though for yours…
    I love to eat so thankfully I love to play tennis…ya know pounds on so easy, pounds off not so much, ugh
    I wish I knew more people that were more adventuresome with food

• Sommer — June 29th, 2013 @ 3:09 pm

Hi Colleen,

We have a golden retriever. A white one! He is such a good guy.

Shaina — June 26, 2013 @ 12:04 pm

1. I spent months of my life in the hospital in high school.
    2. I have only ever been to Canada outside of the U.S., but I speak 3 different languages.
    3. I am writing a novel in secret. Shhh.
    4. I take college classes in my nonexistent time because I am still sore about not getting a masters/PhD and the husband getting his instead.
    5. I read a lot.

• Sommer — June 29th, 2013 @ 3:10 pm

Shaina, I want to hear for about the secret book!!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — June 27, 2013 @ 4:42 pm

I love this post, Sommer! And how funny, when I was a kid I told people I was born in Hollywood for the same reason. Ha. :) Okay, so about me:

1. I used to be a periodicals librarian at a special collections library, meaning that I regularly had to place phone calls to cults, UFO enthusiasts, separatists, and other extremists asking for their newsletters.

2. When I was 14, I had a website about how much Joey Lawrence annoyed me.

3. I’m addicted to trashy reality shows. The trashier, the better.

4. I go to bed at 10pm every night, like an old lady.

5. I have never tried coffee. (Perhaps this has something to do with the 10pm bedtime?)

• Sommer — June 29th, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

Never tried coffee? Well I guess it’s good you haven’t started the habit. One you start you can’t stop!

Nutmeg Nanny — July 1, 2013 @ 8:19 pm

I love this post! A few small things: I HATE flying, I can’t stand doing laundry, I love watching trashy tv, I love using exclamation points!!!

• Sommer — July 5th, 2013 @ 4:35 pm

Me too, on the exclamation points!!!!!!

Kristen — July 4, 2013 @ 8:49 am

Love this, Sommer!
    Ok… here goes:
    1 – My mom had me when she was 40… the same year my oldest brother got married. My brother had his first kid when I was 2 and his second when I was 4. So I was a very young aunt. When my nephew and niece would come visit I would make them tell everyone we were cousins because I thought if they said I was their aunt, they’d think our family was odd.
    2 – I was married at 21, divorced at 22…just shy of 2 years. Long story, but I’ve now been married for 13 years to my husband and both situations were the best thing that ever happened to me. Wouldn’t have it any other way.
    3 – I have a fear of heights… like falling over railings when standing on something high. (I can handle planes and things like that). The fear has paralyzed me before where I’ve been stuck someplace up high on stairs and haven’t been able to move. That’s a strange feeling.
    4 – I don’t love Nutella
    5 – I have lived in Kansas all my life and really know I don’t belong here but still love raising my kids here.

That’s it :)

• Sommer — July 5th, 2013 @ 4:37 pm

Alright Kristen, so do you have nightmares about falling? I always have one after I’ve been up on a high place.

lori @ RecipeGirl — July 4, 2013 @ 9:00 am

I love it.
    1. Good or bad, I sing karaoke.
    2. I don’t like margaritas, at all.
    3. My first car was a lime green VW Bug w/ the license plate “ILVGMBY”
    4. When I was little, I pierced my Barbie doll’s ears with straight pins, cut their hair, and made pretend swimming pools in the backyard with my Mom’s tupperware.
    5. I cry too… wayyyyy too easily. When I catered parties back in college, the wedding march made me cry EVERY TIME… and I didn’t even know any of these people!

• Sommer — July 5th, 2013 @ 4:38 pm

Yay for cryers, Lori! I love margaritas, but can’t drink them because tequila makes me feel ANGRY. :)

Denise — July 5, 2013 @ 11:57 pm

I love your blog and love getting to know you a bit more! I know I am a bit late to comment but figured I would do it anyway, so you know I was here  I know how nice it is to get comments!!

I love talking to people, even though I am a really shy person.

We usually have a houseful of people ( maybe 6-18) over for dinner at least once a week. I don’t always plan it, it just happens and it makes me very happy

My two kids are grown and on their own, but my daughter just moved into a house half a mile away and my son just moved back in with us while he saves for a move to another state. My mom also lives with us and there are often one or two more people staying in our spare room.

The majority of my friends are around half my age although one of my closest friends is 20 years older than me. I have never considered age as important when choosing friends !

I love to read and watch movies. I am like you in that if I start a book I will stay up all night reading. I too love BBC and several British authors, but I like all kinds of books and movies.