Coconut Cream Pie + Giveaway
This Coconut Cream Pie Recipe is based on reader requests. Outrageously addictive Coconut Cream Pie, just in time for summer parties! Fluffy, creamy, and oh-so coconutty.
A few months back, I posted this fluffy banana cream pie recipe and had so many questions about how to turn it into a coconut cream pie, that I thought I better come up with an anwser.
See how this works? You demand, I deliver. *wink*
Of course this was no trouble for me. I adore all coconut cream recipes and was happy to oblige.
I would say coconut cream pie is in my blood.
For years I’ve witnessed my mother order this lavish dessert every chance she gets. I love watching her face light up when she notices coconut cream pie is on the menu.
In a moment, her years of wisdom melt into childlike delight, and I suddenly picture her as a little girl sitting on a kitchen stool in gingham and pincurls, waiting for my granny to serve up her favorite treat.
That’s the power of a good pie.
Nostalgic and homey, yet somehow possessing the very essence of luxury.
This coconut cream pie is no exception. Airy cream filling delicately kissed with coconut. Rich buttery coconut speckled pie crust, pillows of fresh whipped cream, and showers of toasted coconut.
Simple, yet extravagant.
I’m getting dizzy with excitement just thinking about it!
This coconut cream pie recipe (and the banana cream pie recipe) eliminate the need for making a custard base, by substituting instant pudding and cream cheese. In my opinion, the tang of the cream cheese perfectly balances the sweetness of the coconut filling, and provides an ultra fluffy cream texture.
I actually prefer it to custard pies and hope you will too!
Yield: 1 big pie
Prep Time: 30 minutes active time
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Coconut Cream Pie
For the Coconut Crust:
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 stick COLD unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3-5 Tb. ice cold coconut rum
For the Coconut Cream Pie:
- 5.1 oz. box instant vanilla pudding
- 15 oz. can cream of coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or cow's milk)
- 12 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tb. sugar
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- For the Crust: Cut the butter into small cubes and place in the freezer to make sure it's very cold. Place 1/3 cup shredded coconut in the food processor. Pulse to finely chop. Then add the flour and salt and pulse again. Pour a couple ounces of coconut rum over ice to chill. Then add the cold butter to the flour mixture and pulse until it's finely chopped and mixed into the flour. It should resemble oatmeal or little pellets. One tablespoon at a time, pulse in the chilled coconut rum (not the ice cubes) until it clumps together. It should be firm, not sticky. Mine usually takes 4 tablespoons. Dump the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and form into a disk. Wrap and refrigerate for at least thirty minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Once chilled, roll the dough out on a floured work surface, into a 14 inch circle. Hold one side of the pie crust over the rolling pin and carefully roll it over the top of the rolling pin to transfer it to the pie pan. Don't stretch the pie crust, but gently move it into the center of the pie pan. Turn the edges underneath and crimp the edges to seal. You can do this with a fork or with your fingers. Place a large piece of foil over the pie crust and gently shape it over the dough. Fill the foil with ceramic pie weights, or dried beans. Bake the crust for 15 minutes. Then carefully remove the foil and weights. Then bake again for 10 minutes. Cool completely before filling.
- Spread the coconut out onto a baking sheet. Toast for 3-5 minutes, until just golden. Then remove and cool. DO NOT take your eyes off the coconut while it's in the oven. It can turn black in a second!
- For the Filling: Place the instant pudding mix in a large glass jar or plastic air-tight container. Add the cream of coconut and milk. Cover tightly and shake for 1-2 minutes until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream with 1 tsp. vanilla and 3 Tb. sugar. Transfer to another bowl, cover and refrigerate. Then beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Slowly, beat in the pudding mixture. Add a little at a time and scrape the bowl regularly, to ensure there are no clumps. Finally fold in HALF the whipped cream. Carefully mix until smooth.
- Scoop the filling into the cooled pie crust. Top with the remaining whipped cream and sprinkle generously with toasted coconut. Chill for at least 4 hour. Overnight is even better.
Aren’t these flowery little dishes cute?!?
Today Villeroy & Boch is offering a fun and fabulous Dessert Set Giveaway including:
- 4 Lina Floral Salad/Dessert Plates
- 4 Matching Mugs
- Worth over $110!
One lucky reader will get to serve their Coconut Cream Pie in style. For US residents only.
To Enter, follow the prompts in this automated entry form.
Please Note: By entering to win the Lina Floral Dessert Set Giveaway via email address, you are registering for the Villeroy & Boch mailing list and may receive occasional email updates with new products alerts, special online offers, and recipes.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Villeroy & Boch. The giveaway entry form was generated by Villeroy & Boch, not A Spicy Perspective. All opinions are my own.
Like what you see? SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email.
102 Responses to “Coconut Cream Pie + Giveaway”
Pingback: Nibblies - Eat. Drink. Love.
Pingback: Coconut Cream Pie | Home Chef de Cuisine
Pingback: Coconut Cream Pie | Food- Mafia
Pingback: 25 Great Pie Recipes