Chicken-N-Dumplings Soup + Giveaway
How about a sleeker version of momma’s Chicken and Dumplings Recipe? Chicken and Dumplings Soup brings all the best qualities of Chicken and Dumplings together for the modern palate, leaving the gravy and heartburn in the past.
We’re having another Kitchen Conversation with Land O’Lakes! This time, the topic is Modernizing Vintage Recipes. We all have those family favorites that, let’s be honest, need a little refresh for our current dinner table. I came up with a vintage recipe that needs some updating to match our newly updated kitchen!
When we moved to North Carolina from the Midwest, one of the first things I noticed was the differences in cooking techniques.
In the South, cornbread is cooked in a skillet with bacon grease, unlike the tall, pillowy cornbread I was used to.
Grits are the breakfast side of choice, not home fries or cream of wheat.
And dumplings were noodles. Say what?!?
Growing up, every chicken and dumplings recipe I ever ate had dumplings that were dropped from a spoon. Dumplings were dumped, not cut into noodles.
These morsels of dough simmered in the gravy until puffed into little balls of carby deliciousness. The irregular shapes and moist centers were part of the appeal.
Yet here in the South, friends tell stories of standing on a wooden stool while Great-Granny presses the dough out on the countertop. Then she let her gran’babies take turns cutting it into short, fat noodles with a pizza cutter.
Whether you prefer the dropped dumplings or noodle dumplings, one thing is for certain: A good chicken and dumplings recipe equals a hefty serving of nostalgia and a whole lot of love.
However… the last time I ate classic chicken and dumplings, I felt like I had a brick in my belly. I’m just not accustomed to eating such heavy dishes anymore.
It made me think this vintage recipe was ready for a little “modernizing.”
So today I’ve made an updated version of my favorite chicken and dumplings recipe, Chicken-n- Dumpling Soup!
The fact that the chicken and dumplings aren’t drowning in gravy really allows the fresh, herbal flavors to shine. Also, Chicken-n-Dumpling Soup takes much less time to cook because it uses chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken.
I added a third of the butter I would normally use in my traditional chicken and dumplings recipe. Land O Lakes® Butter in Half Sticks made it easy to pull just the right amount out of the fridge. Using Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt created a rich, satisfying undertone.
Really, who needs gravy?
Modernizing is a good thing. Even when it comes to our most beloved dishes.
I honestly believe Grandma would approve.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Chicken and Dumplings Soup
For the Soup:
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, cut into 1/2 cubes
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 half stick (4 tbsp.) Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/8 tsp ground turmeric (for color)
- 1 bay leaf
- 64 oz. low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 Tb. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tb fresh thyme leaves, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- In a large sauce pot, melt the Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and carrots. Cook for 8–10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the mustard, turmeric, bay leaf and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Then cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the ingredients for the dumplings in a medium bowl. Mix with a fork until a wet doughy consistency is reached.
- Once the soup base has cooked down for 15 minutes, bring the temperature back up to a boil. Stir in the chicken and parsley. Then use a spoon to drop scant 1/2-teaspoon lumps of dough into the soup. Simmer 5 minutes, until the chicken and dumplings are cooked through. Remove the bay leaf and serve warm.
Today Land O Lakes® Butter is offering a fabulous vintage giveaway!
This Giveaway Includes:
- Steel stock pot
- Measuring scale
- Measuring spoons
- Half stick butter dish
- 3 coupons for Land O Lakes® Butter in Half Sticks
- Vintage Land O’Lakes recipe box
To Enter, simply follow the prompts in this automated entry form. For US residents only.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: A Spicy Perspective has partnered with Land O’Lakes for an exclusive endorsement of Land O Lakes® Butter for their Kitchen Conversation blogger program. This blog post is sponsored by Land O’Lakes.
Like what you see? SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email.
197 Responses to “Chicken-N-Dumplings Soup + Giveaway”
Pingback: 30+ Warm and Cozy Soups & Stews