Hawaiian Tuna Burgers with Grilled Pineapple

Let’s say goodbye to Burger Month with light and flavorful Ahi Tuna Burgers topped with sweet Grilled Pineapple. Big island flavor stacked high on a bun.

ATTENTION READERS

As of July 1st, Google Reader will no longer be available. That means if you subscribe to A Spicy Perspective via RSS feed and view it in Google Reader, you will no longer see my updates, or those from other favorite blogs. To correct this, please sign up for Feedly or BlogLovin’ as an alternative feed reader. Thanks, I’d really miss you!!

Hawaiian Ahi Tuna Burgers with Grilled Pineapple | ASpicyPerspective.com #summer #hawaii #burgers #recipe

Hawaii is my happy place. Particularly the island of Kauai.

Lt. Dan and I took what we thought would be our last big vacation, right before our first child was born. It’s funny to me now that we thought we wouldn’t be able to travel again for years. We determined we had better go somewhere spectacular before it was too late.

Well, we were wrong about travel opportunities, but we were right about Hawaii being special.

Every time we visit, we spend a hefty portion of our time trying to figure out a way we could move there and make a living.

It’s the weather… the lush green mountains and tropical plants, the pristine beaches, the vibrant produce at every corner market, the hidden waterfalls, the fresh seafood, the slow-paced island lifestyle, the outdoor activities, and of course, the “aloha spirit.”

I don’t need city life. Honestly, I don’t.

As a former high-strung perfectionist, raising kids has beat idealism and the need for glamor out of me.

I’d much rather be an experience-driven person than a “stuff” driven person.

I could live in a smaller house, with less possessions, in a beautiful environment and be perfectly happy.

Hawaiian Tuna Burgers with Grilled Pineapple | ASpicyPerspective.com #summer #hawaii #burgers #recipe Anmut Bloom Dishes from Villeroy & Boch.

Living in Hawaii is a dream that may, or may not come true.

There are so many variables that make it difficult to move a family across the ocean.  And I do happen to live in a place that I love with lush green mountains, so I can’t complain.

Yet every time I think of Hawaii my heart smiles. I remember all of the little things that make it magical and I want to relive those things again and again.

So to finish off Burger Month, I offer you a burger with Aloha Spirit, Ahi Tuna Burgers with Grilled Pineapple.

The foundation of these tuna burgers are the poke-inspired ahi tuna patties. I diced Ahi tuna and mixed it as if I were making Hawaiian Poke. Then I added an egg and some bread crumbs so that the poke would hold together as patties.

These patties are delicate. They aren’t grilling patties, but need to be cooked on a flat surface to hold their shape. It’s important not to over cook them, since poke is a raw dish. I like to cook them so that the outside of each patty is seared, but the inside is still a little pink.

KitchenAid Range

I seared them on my new KitchenAid range with the griddle in the middle. I love using the griddle for searing meat, quickly cooking veggies, and of course for pancakes. The kids keep waiting for me to try hibachi on it.

To complete these Hawaii inspired tuna burgers, I whipped up a quick hoisin mustard and topped them with grilled pineapple and fresh avocado slices.

Ahi Tuna Burgers with Grilled Pineapple offer a mouthful of paradise in each bite!

Yield: 6 burgers

Ahi Tuna Burgers with Grilled Pineapple

For the Ahi Tuna Patties:

• 2 lbs. ahi tuna steaks, diced
  • 3 Tb. soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
  • 1 Tb. sriracha chili sauce
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup chopped scallions, greens and whites
  • 1 Tb. fresh grated ginger
  • 2 Tb. sesame seeds
  • 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
  • sesame oil for cooking

For the Hoisin Mustard:

• 1/4 cup dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
  • 1 Tb. honey or sugar

For the Tuna Burgers:

• 6 buns
  • 6 rounds slices of fresh pineapple
  • 1 ripe avocado, sliced
  • 6 butter lettuce leaves

1. Mix all the ingredients of the ahi tuna patties in a large bowl. Divide into 6 equal portions and press into patties. Preheat the griddle (or heat a skillet) to medium heat. Once it's very hot, brush the surface with sesame oil and place the patties on the hot surface. Sear the patties for 3 minutes per side, so the interior ahi chunks are still a little pink. Flip carefully--these patties are fragile.
  2. Then immediately grill or sear the pineapple slices for 1-2 minutes per side.
  3. Whisk together the ingredients for the hoisin mustard. Then spread the mustard on the buns and stack the burgers with lettuce, ahi tuna patties, grilled pineapple, and fresh avocado slices. Serve warm!

More Summer Burgers

Frito Chili Cheeseburger

Mediterranean Burger

Szechuan Beef Burger

Aloha BBQ Sliders ~ Tidy Mom

Crab Cake Sliders ~ The Comfort of Cooking

Poblano Avocado Turkey Burger ~ Ruffles & Truffles

40 Responses to “Hawaiian Tuna Burgers with Grilled Pineapple”

Tieghan — June 28, 2013 @ 4:25 am

You have no idea how much I LOVE these burgers!! Tuna and grilled pineapple are made for each other. This is seriously my dream burger!! I can’t wait to make it!

Jeanette — June 28, 2013 @ 5:58 am

Sommer – this is my kind of burger – love ahi tuna although I’ve never had it in burger form (I’d like it very rare in side). Hawaii is my favorite vacation destination :)

Kevin @ Closet Cooking — June 28, 2013 @ 6:52 am

Those pineapple tuna burgers look great! I have some pineapple burgers on the menu this weekend as well! :)

Julie @ Table for Two — June 28, 2013 @ 7:29 am

love the ahi tuna on this! one of my favorites! grilled pineapple would be so amazing to have on a burger!

Kristi Rimkus — June 28, 2013 @ 7:31 am

My brother moved to Kauai 30 years ago and never came back. It’s a beautiful island for sure. This burger looks incredible. This is definitely a great way to get that seafood into your diet.

Paula - bell'alimento — June 28, 2013 @ 8:12 am

You had me at Ahi Tuna …

Heather @ Heather's Dish — June 28, 2013 @ 8:36 am

Just a huge YES to loving Hawaii – we were considering moving there a few years ago! We took an amazing trip to Kauai and honestly it wasn’t what I thought, but in the best way possible. I would go back in a heartbeat!

Jenny Flake — June 28, 2013 @ 8:44 am

Oh these look heavenly Sommer!! Need!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 28, 2013 @ 8:50 am

It would be an absolute dream to live some place tropical like that. I’d settle for having your amazing range and that burger though ;)

cassie - bake your day — June 28, 2013 @ 8:54 am

I love ahi tuna…and really love everything about these burgers. I can almost taste them!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — June 28, 2013 @ 9:42 am

These look incredible, Sommer! Love the island flavors going on, and I bet they’re just so scrumptious stacked on a bun. That griddle is too cool!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — June 28, 2013 @ 9:59 am

I love that oven with the griddle in the middle how cool! I am with you on Hawaii, I can’t wait to go back and moving there would be a dream! I have a friend that just packed her suitcase about 7 years ago, hopped on a plane and just moved there! She loves it. Cathy (Noble Pig) and I were just talking about how we’re more of “experience-driven than material driven” people. I would much rather love to have a trip than some junk. oo sorry, got side tracked haha. I do however love these burgers. They sing hawaii!

Maria — June 28, 2013 @ 11:46 am

Love the grilled pineapple on top!

ashley - baker by nature — June 28, 2013 @ 11:58 am

Loving EVERYTHING about these burgers!!! The pineapple… the tuna… SO much awesome.

Barbara | Creative Culinary — June 28, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

I made some tuna burgers this week and we LOVED them…not sure why I’ve not done it before but now that I’m in the mood yours could be next! They look so good and I’m fond of almost anything with pineapple. You are so right though about not grilling them; I was tempted but after making them indoors can affirm it was a good call.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — June 28, 2013 @ 1:00 pm

That is one fab burger, loved the grilled pineapple!

Colette — June 28, 2013 @ 1:03 pm

Awesome idea for Friday night.
    I’m going to TJoe’s for supplies after work.
    Thanks, Sommer!

marla — June 28, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

Love the pineapple on top….perfect for summer grilling :)

Leigh Anne — June 28, 2013 @ 1:58 pm

I found you via pin

Nessa — June 28, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

I want a bite! Wait, make that a whole burger :)

Gaby — June 28, 2013 @ 5:24 pm

omg love these!!

Jamie @lifelovelemons — June 28, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

Stunning!

Marian (Sweetopia) — June 29, 2013 @ 4:54 pm

Sommer, I have got to try these!! They look amazing!!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — June 29, 2013 @ 10:08 pm

Ahi tuna burgers topped with grilled pineapples?! Oh my!!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — June 29, 2013 @ 10:38 pm

These look so wonderful! Love that you grilled the pineapple!!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — June 30, 2013 @ 6:38 am

Beautiful! Love the grilled pineapple and avocado on top.

Shaina — June 30, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

With the pineapple, perfection.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — June 30, 2013 @ 5:26 pm

This looks fabulous! I love the Hawaiian flavors!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — June 30, 2013 @ 8:49 pm

Girl, you know what gets me goin! Wow… just wow. I’m such a sucker for a tuna burger. The pineapple is such a great touch.

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — July 1, 2013 @ 5:48 am

I love the addition of grilled pineapple here. Tasty flavors going on!

Heather Christo — July 1, 2013 @ 9:12 am

These burgers are Soooo Wonderful. I would like to move to Hawaii right now…

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — July 1, 2013 @ 9:57 am

I cannot tell you how wonderful this burger looks to me right now. Someday I will get my butt to Hawaii, on my Bucket List!

Carolyn — July 2, 2013 @ 4:35 am

I really need to make these burgers! They do look fragile though…probably best on the griddle and not on a grill?

Kocinera — July 6, 2013 @ 4:42 am

What a cool twist on Hawaiian flavors! I’ve never been to Hawaii, but would absolutely love to go. You can see people’s eyes light up whenever they talk about vacationing there. It sounds lovely!

Nutmeg Nanny — July 11, 2013 @ 2:31 pm

These burgers are perfection! I’m not a big tuna fan, personally, but my husband would adore these!

1. Pingback: Food 101: Pineapple | wedo.

2. Pingback: 25 Amazing Burger Recipes….YUM!!

3. Pingback: 25 Amazing Burger Recipes….YUM!! - The Best Store Coupons, Free Coupon Codes, Store Sales, Online Coupons

4. Pingback: This week’s menu | Courtney Milleson