Simple whole wheat orecchiette pasta with roasted tomatoes and roasted grapes is just the dish to serve at your Memorial Day bash this year.
Furthermore (if you ask me) an outdoor party isn’t complete without a pasta salad loaded with all sorts of colorful tidbits.
Recently I’ve been on a bit of a grape kick.
I snack on them nearly everyday and look for interesting ways to incorporate grapes into recipes so I can sneak in another serving. …This is a little concerning, since the last time I craved grapes like this I was pregnant, but I digress.
There’s just something about their shape and size, and the quiet little burst of sweetness that occurs when the grape-skin pops under the pressure of your teeth. I love that.
So needless to say, this Memorial Day our pasta salad will include grapes.
And roasted tomatoes …along with other things of similar size and shape, making the pasta salad more appealing.
The combination of the sweet grapes and acidic tomatoes, both with blistered skins, is a wonderful addition to this pasta salad.
Pan-roasting the grapes and tomatoes takes no time at all. Just place them over high heat for a minute or two, until the skins start to blister. Then puree fresh basil and olive oil for a simple flavorful dressing that keeps the pasta from sticking together.
I used Delallo Whole Wheat Orecchiette because orecchiette is shaped like turtle shells, so it’s cute and holds the dressing rather well. I also appreciate knowing I’m serving my family a higher quality pasta that is better for their health.
The orecchiette salad was finished by tossing the Delallo Whole Wheat Pasta with the basil oil, roasted grapes, roasted tomatoes, briny kalamata olives, and mini fresh mozzarella balls for creamy contrast. It’s fantastic served warm or at room temperature.
Don’t be afraid to get-your-grapes-on in all sorts of savory dishes. You’d be surprised at what that little pop of sweetness can do for a dish!
Orecchiette with Roasted Tomatoes and Roasted Grapes
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
- 1 pound Delallo Whole Wheat Orecchiette
- 1 pint (2 cups) grape tomatoes
- 1 pint (2 cups) red grapes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cups mini fresh mozzarella balls
- Salt and Pepper
- Boil a large pot of salted water and cook the orecchiette as directed on the Delallo package.
- Meanwhile, Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large skillet and set over high heat. Once smoking hot, add the tomatoes and grapes. Stir and roast for 1-2 minutes, until the skins are blistered but not split. Then turn off the heat and add the garlic. Stir, allowing the garlic to saute as the pan cools.
- Add the basil, 1/3 cup olive oil, and vinegar to the blender. Puree until very smooth, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the pasta is drained, toss it with the basil oil. Then add in the roasted grapes, roasted tomatoes, and olives. Allow the mixture to cool a little more and toss in the mozzarella balls. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
More Pasta Salad Options
Mediterranean Orzo Salad ~ Delallo
Roasted Veggie Whole Wheat Pasta ~ Aggie’s Kitchen
Pasta with Salmon and Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce ~ Family Fresh Cooking
Check out my “Pining for Pasta” Pinterest Board for more ideas!