Speedy Tex-Mex Breakfast Muffins
This easy mexican dish, Tex-Mex Breakfast Muffins, is a healthy and quick breakfast that everyone will love! A lightening speed meal to start off the day on the right foot.
Once upon a time, I had more hours in the day than I knew what to do with.
I would sleep until 9 or 10 am, get up and workout, make a leisurely
breakfast brunch fit for a king. Then go about my day doing highly important things like getting my nails done and reading glam mag articles on “Trendy New Ways to Wear a Scarf.”
Of course, this is a fairytale.
I don’t remember the last time I slept past 9. 10 is laughable. My workouts are rushed, breakfast is rushed… heck, my whole little world is a whirlwind of juggling meals, homework, sports and family drama. Sound familiar?
Even so, life is good.
We laugh a lot in between the rushing around, and we take our weekend wind-down time pretty seriously.
I’m a firm believer in living a simple life, not over-complicating things. But sometimes, with four different schedules, it just can’t be helped!
Serving healthy and inspired breakfasts during the work/school week is tricky. In effort to get a few extra minutes of shut-eye, we often don’t allow ourselves time to prepare a proper meal.
We’ve gone through the gamut of quick breakfast items: cereals, bars, smoothies, instant hot cereals, toast… I get bored.
So every now-and-again I’ll come up with a quick breakfast idea to throw in the mix; something that catches everyone’s attention.
Introducing Speedy Breakfast Muffins, Tex-Mex style!
This quick breakfast mexican dish is fast, furious and full of flavor.
So much so, it’s hard to believe each cup takes less than 5 minutes to make. While the kids are rushing to get their shoes on and pack their backpacks, simply whisk up this creamy egg mixture, pour it over an english muffin half and pop in the microwave.
Yes, you read that right.
For these quick breakfast muffins, I stuffed english muffin halves down into microwave-safe cups, whisked eggs with silky California yogurt and pico de gallo, and poured it in the cups.
Then I topped each cup with cooked chorizo and shredded California cheese, and ZAP! In two minutes or less, you have fluffy, cheesy, slightly-spicy pillows of goodness you can take on-the-go. The yogurt provides moisture so the eggs don’t toughen up in the microwave.
These little beauties are almost too good to be true… almost.
Find Dishes Here.
So chuck the toast tomorrow morning, and try this speedy mexican dish instead.
You’ll be glad you did.
Yield: 1 serving
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Quick Breakfast Muffins
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 english muffin
- 1 cold egg
- 1 Tb. plain California yogurt, cold
- 1 Tb. pico de gallo
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tb. cooked chorizo (could be chopped ham or leftover steak)
- 2 Tb. shredded California cheese, like pepper-jack or cheddar
- Optional garnishes: diced tomatoes, sliced avocados, extra pico de gallo
- Use a microwave-safe mug or cup that is just slightly smaller than the diameter of the english muffin. Gently press the english muffin to the bottom of the mug—it should be a tight fit. Then spray the edges of the mug with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle half the shredded California cheese over the english muffin.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the egg, California yogurt, pico de gallo and a pinch of salt until frothy. Pour over the english muffin. Top the egg mixture with the chorizo and remaining cheese.
- Microwave on high heat for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes, until puffy and cooked through. Then either garnish and serve in the mug, or pop out of the mug for a breakfast-on-the-go.
More Quick Breakfast Ideas
Breakfast Tostadas ~ An Edible Mosaic
Homemade Muesli ~ Savory Simple
Breakfast Sushi ~ Farmgirl Gourmet
SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email + Our FREE eCookbook Top 25 Recipes!
68 Responses to “Speedy Tex-Mex Breakfast Muffins”
Pingback: Easter Breakfast Ideas — Eat Well 101
Pingback: Healthy Breakfast Recipe Round Up |