Creamy Carrot Soup Recipe
Ring in Spring with this Carrot Soup Recipe. An ultra silky Cream of Carrot Soup, made with the classic carrot-leek combination, just in time for spring parties!
One of my favorite seasons for food is when hearty winter dishes collide with the fresh flavors of spring. The amalgamation of rustic warming meals with light playful ingredients is almost more than I care bare.
It signifies spring is right around the corner. Crocuses and Hyacinth will shoot up any moment, and barefoot tiptoeing through soft blades of grass is in the near future.
This is a season of anticipation, and I crave dishes that reflect it.
Today’s Carrot Soup Recipe is a wonderful winter-to-spring transition dish, because it’s creamy, filling, and piping-hot, yet has light-hearted flirtatious ingredients like leeks and Sauvignon Blanc.
The carrot-leek duo offers a tangy sweetness to the soup, with a rich velvety texture from sour cream. I used “Canadian-style” sour cream from Karoun Dairy, because it is extravagantly creamy. Almost like creme fraiche with a tang.
Cream of carrot soup is easy to make and would be perfect for soup-and-salad night, yet lavish enough to serve at your first spring dinner party.
Not only that, it was tested and approved by the toughest critics I know, Lt. Dan, our resident Soup Nazi and “Thunderbolt Viking Collier”… our bunny.
Thunderbolt is our household expert on all-things-carrot.
Both Lt. Dan and Thunderbolt agreed, this carrot soup recipe is something special.
“Bunny-Approved Carrot Soup Recipe”
Disclosure: No bunnies were harmed in the making of this post, only kissed on the nose incessantly. …And no soup bowls headed for the dinner table were tested by Thunderbolt.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Carrot Soup Recipe
Creamy Carrot and Leek Soup
- 2 pounds carrots
- 3 large leeks
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (1 tsp. dried)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 cup springy white wine, like Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/2 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
- Salt and Pepper
- Trim the carrots and chop them into rough 1/2 inch chunks. Trim the root-end off the leeks and cut the white section into quarters. Slice across into small 1/2 inch pieces. (Save the greens for homemade stock.) Place the chopped leeks in a colander and rinse thoroughly--they are often sandy.
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Add the butter, carrots, leeks and garlic and saute for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Then add the thyme, lemon zest, stock, wine, 1 tsp. salt, and pepper to taste. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir and cover again. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the soup looks murky and the carrots are soft.
- Ladle the soup into a high-powered blender. (You might have to do this in two batches.) Place the lid on the blender and open the top vent for steam. Lay a dish towel over the top of the blender and hold firmly as you turn the blender on. Pressure from blending hot liquids can blow the top off and burn you, so be careful--open vent, cover with towel, hold tight! Puree until smooth. Then add the sour cream to the blender and puree again.
- Pour both batches back into the sauce pot and stir to blend. Serve warm.
SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email + Our FREE eCookbook Top 25 Recipes!
76 Responses to “Creamy Carrot Soup Recipe”
Pingback: Ultra Silky Cream of Carrot Soup | daily-pins.com
Pingback: Creamy Spring Carrot Soup
Pingback: Warm Vanilla Sugar | June Things
Pingback: Fall CSA Week 4 | Suncrest Gardens Farm
Pingback: Fall CSA Week 5 | Suncrest Gardens Farm