Help Me Pick My Shenandoah Cabinetry

Dear Friends, My kitchen is going to be remodeled over the next two months and I desperately need YOUR help!

Shenandoah Cabinetry - Mission 5 Piece Drawer Maple Cream with Cherry Spice K_LW_42MGL_42CSS_ISLB_12_GEN

When you spend every waking moment in your kitchen, there are few things that could be more exciting than a kitchen makeover.

….My wedding day, the birth of my children, kitchen makeover. That’s pretty much the order of exhilaration in my little world.

We live in a lovely 80-something year old home, in an eclectic old neighborhood.

When we moved to Asheville, NC we looked at house after house, many much newer and bigger than the one we bought. Some with fantastic mountain views.

A Spicy Perspective Kitchen Makeover- Help Me Pick My Shenandoah Cabinetry

Yet we walked into this old place, with unlevel floors and creaking staircases, and I looked at Lt. Dan and sighed, “This is it.”

It wasn’t just a house, it was a home.

Where history and character were rooted generations before our time, and will remain long after.

A Spicy Perspective Kitchen Makeover- Help Me Pick My Shenandoah Cabinetry #kitchen

We bought our home, knowing many renovations would follow. In the last few years we’ve moved the laundry room, added a bathroom, and painted EVERY INCH of the old girl.

Yet the kitchen still needs some love.

kitchen makeover before shots

I can’t complain much about my current kitchen.

For an old house it’s very spacious. (The previous owners took out a mud room to extend it.) It has nice granite counter tops and a big island that I love working on, with my family gathered around.

But there are some issues.

issues

For one, the cabinets are laminated plywood, so they peel.

peeling cabinets

And peel.

peeling drawers

The cabinets don’t offer a lot of storage options, so there is a great deal of wasted space.

messy drawers

The fridge is in a corner, meaning the door only opens to 90 degrees.

Meaning I’ve never been able to take out the shelves for a thorough cleaning.

(Gross, right? I couldn’t bare to show you the inside.)

corner fridge - boo!

And there is wasted wall space due to old windows.

kitchen corner

It’s not a bad kitchen.

Actually, it’s a pretty nice kitchen.

However, these little annoyances get the stink-eye every time I see them, and kitchen cabinetry has come a long way since these babies were put in.

kitchen corner

I’ve dreamed of remodeling my kitchen for so long, I almost can’t believe the day is finally here.

With the help of Shenandoah Cabinetry, this spring my kitchen will experience a complete overhaul.

I’ve looked at Shenandoah Cabinetry many times, walking through the Lowes Design Center.

I always stop and flip through the door styles and finishes, daydreaming about what my kitchen might look like someday.

Shenandoah Cabinetry - Winchester Cherry Spice K_LW_K6SDF_NoLifestyle_12

Shenandoah Cabinetry is a stand-out from other cabinet companies, because they offer high quality hard-wood cabinetry at extremely competitive prices.

Their cabinetry is American-made and grown in sustainable forests. Plus, Shenandoah Cabinetry offers many storage solutions for organizing your kitchen.

Shenandoah Cabinetry - Dominion Maple Coffee with Maple Espresso K_LW_Y3DDL_A_12

In fact, there are so many options in style and functionality, that I’m having a hard time deciding what I like best.

I’d love to hear your opinion on this.

Will you help me?

Here are a few styles I’m looking at…. Which one would YOU pick?

Shenandoah Cabinetry - Breckenridge Maple Natural K_LW_28MNS_HORZ2_08_GENShenandoah Cabinetry - Mission Maple Linen K_LW_41MPS_12Shenandoah Cabinetry - Charleston Maple Spice K_LW_Z5S_H_12RShenandoah Cabinetry - Sydney Cherry Spice K_LW_39CSS_RANGEWALLCB_10_GENShenandoah Cabinetry - Winchester Maple Hazelnut with Cherry Java K_LW_D5ZDF_K6KDF_HORZA_12_GEN

Here are a few of the Draw Pulls and Knobs I like…

Shenandoah Cabinetry Hardware

Here are some popular Glass Door options.

Shenandoah Cabinetry Glass Options

About Organization…

What do you think are the most important storage options to have?

Shenandoah Cabinetry - Storage Collage

(There are many more options here.)

Please Help Me….

I would greatly appreciate your input on cabinet styles, hardware, glass, and organization.

Let me know what YOU would pick in the comments below.

I’ll make sure to keep you updated on the process!

79 Responses to “Help Me Pick My Shenandoah Cabinetry”

Belinda @zomppa — February 19, 2013 @ 5:08 am

How exiciting!!! I looooove decor. I’ll live vicariously through you. The options are great, but what look are you going for? Your style? Rest of home? The storage options all key but so wish I had #1

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — February 19, 2013 @ 6:43 am

Oh, Sommer…you’re going to have fun and feel like a princess! OK, your kitchen is lovely as is. (Fridge problem? Peeling cabinetry? Gotta. Go.) She just needs some love, functionality, a pretty dress and somewhere to go. Just by following you in this short time, I would suggest 3 designs to narrow down: Winchester Cherry Spice (spicy, warm & elegant), Charleston Maple Spice (warm, country chic & vintage cottage vibe) or Sydney Cherry Spice (spicy, warm & cutting edge modern). My #1 pic of the 3, for you? Sydney Cherry Spice because you’re warm, spicy and cutting edge modern with your food work. I think this design is the one which would continue to inspire you as well. Plus, this design would seamlessly fit into an older, charming home. Sydney Cherry Spice leapt off my computer screen as totally you and A Spicy Perspective! She even matches your blog redesign. Can’t beat that for personal expression AND brand identification combined. Hope this helps! xo

Amy — February 19, 2013 @ 7:20 am

So fun! And so overwhelming trying to decide between so many wonderful options.

I’m thinking the maple style of cabinets would go well with your home. The natural or linen finish would keep it bright and open. I do like that espresso island finish too!

You’ve got great taste, Sommer, so I can’t wait to see what you create with such a great product!

• Trish Z. P. (NC) — February 19th, 2013 @ 2:43 pm

Since you described the house as being 80 years old and located in the Asheville, NC area (lucky you!), these are my choices: Cabinetry – Charleston Maple Spice. I like its warmth and welcoming vintage sense about it. Hardware: I prefer the toggle knob and flat bow-type handles to give the cabinetry such a touch of contemporary lines. For glass: I am not crazy about your choices. We had a fabulous ‘fluted-like glass in one of our homes that I loved it was just enough distortion to the glass, while allowing some see through and was very attractive. Organization options: 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 for sure. I prefer large drawers in a kitchen over cabinets for ease of storage. For example, One of my favorite drawers is a shallow one where I keep our placements and napkins handy to the table. The other drawers in the piece are two cutlery drawers and a deep drawer where I keep flat serving pieces . The issue I have with spice storage is that kitchen designers seem to always want to put em next to the stove and I feel that is not a good choice because of the heat radiating from the stove and/or oven. I use the lazy Susan to store small appliances, etc., not food. We have a tall pantry cabinet with pull-out drawers that we really like that has a large two-shelf storage area over it. Pull-out drawers are a must, I feel, in all cabinets; it just makes keeping order in them easier.

Have a great time redoing the kitchen. Go with the flow and don’t allow the quirks of a renovation spoil the experience for you!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — February 19, 2013 @ 7:26 am

Oh man… so many options. I like a bunch of those colors, but it’s hard for me to pick one without really looking at the floor and island. I think you just have to invite me for a visit. ;-)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — February 19, 2013 @ 7:35 am

Woah there are so many options I honestly wouldn’t even know where to start! But I can’t wait to see what you pick!

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — February 19, 2013 @ 7:37 am

How fun! All these designs are beautiful. I especially love the Winchester Maple Hazelnut and Cherry. Have fun with your remodeling. I can’t wait to see how it comes out!

Heather @ Heather's Dish — February 19, 2013 @ 7:53 am

So many options!!! Here’s my pick:
    Charleston maple spice with rustic pulls, frosted glass and ALL of the storage options! What a dream – I can’t wait to do the same thing with our own house someday!

Ellen — February 19, 2013 @ 7:57 am

I’m so excited for you! They are all beautiful… You couldn’t go wrong! I think Sydney Cherry Spice is you… All grown up, sophisticated and ready for a dinner party. I would choose Winchester for my own home, but I also think Charleston maple spice is lovely. And as far as the options go, I love the idea of pull out drawers (4, 7 and 9). I’m so excited for you and can’t wait to see the finished product. Off to Lowes to drool on the cabinetry…

Rachel Tayse — February 19, 2013 @ 8:04 am

Exciting! I love the mission style.

When we renovated our last kitchen, we put in all drawers in the lower cabinets. I LOVED it and miss those drawers so much now that we’re in a different kitchen. They help with organization and seem to offer so much extra space compared to traditional base cabinets with doors.

Maria — February 19, 2013 @ 8:08 am

How fun! We remodeled our kitchen a few years ago. It was a process, but SO SO worth it! SO excited for you! We went with white cabinets and silver hardware and are so happy! I am sure whatever you decide will be gorgeous!

Julie Wunder — February 19, 2013 @ 8:09 am

I am sooooooo excited for you guys! These options are beautiful!!!!! I love dark cabinets and a “farmhouse” look. Those organizing options look awesome too- amazing.
    This is going to be an awesome project!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — February 19, 2013 @ 8:17 am

My vote is for the Mission Maple Linen. I really wanted white cabinets in our kitchen, but my husband wanted dark cabinets. We went with dark and it makes the whole space look… well, dark. I’m sure whatever you pick out will be amazing though!

Marly — February 19, 2013 @ 8:19 am

It’s so hard to choose – they all look fabulous. I might prefer the Charleston Maple Spice because I love the natural look of the wood. You can’t go wrong with any of these choices. Have fun!

Cat — February 19, 2013 @ 8:27 am

I have to say i love the Mission Maple Cream withe the rustic hardware especially since you have so much light in your kitchen. Personally I would like adding an ‘L’ by the dishwasher and shortening the island. I definately think relocating or moving the fridge should be a high priority. I don’t know about you but I feel that my cabinet above the fridge is an irritation. My favorite storage option is #4. I can’t stand having to unstack and restack pots and pans to get the one I want. Good Luck!

Amy — February 19, 2013 @ 8:29 am

I like the Mission Maple Linen to make a room feel bright.
    I like the Toggle knob as depending on the person’s height the bow pull types hit hips and other body parts resulting in strong words being issued! ;)
    I like a few clear glass cabinets to show off some favorite drink ware.
    I love the storage idea of 4, 7, & 9 for keeping mixing bowls, cooking wares & cooking pans in their place.
    I can’t wait to see your kitchen makeover and the eliminates of the stink eye!

Rachel — February 19, 2013 @ 8:31 am

How exciting that you are remodeling your kitchen! I love the darker cabinets, like the cherry or maple spice. I would stray wast from glass door options. My husband and I had the French door look on our cabinets in an apartment we had and it was such a challenge to keep clean. But if you really like the look, I would go with one without dividers like a French door look and I would put them on cabinets away from the stove. I love all the storage options, I love the baking pan cabinet and the pot and pan organizer. That one would make both my husband and I happy since he likes to cook and I like to bake.
    Good luck! Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Andea — February 19, 2013 @ 8:41 am

How exciting. In the process of a redue on mine also. This is huge to me as I do spend most of my time in the kitchen and it is soon to be part of my income.
    Kitchen are very personal to those who love it as much as I do and have spent years planning this so here is my choices…if it were mine.
    I would go with wood tone…like maple. Not light enough to show dirt but not to dark. Very simple pattern so food doesn’t stick in cracks an easy to clean. The drawer pulls would not be single knobs. I have that now and I catch pockets, aprons and all kind of things on them as I rush by. The glass would be milky, unless you are doing a china cabinet to show off goods. Otherwise the milky hides the mess behind the doors. Yes on #1 on drawers but make sure adjustable for taller bottles. I have the corner lazy susan…hate it. Things fall in back and hard to get out. They mke drawers for those corners now. Yes on trash can but I wet with to since I compost in garden.
    So I bet you didnt expect the earful but I know you will love what is coming in he future for your cooking. Happy Cooking.

Pam Rauber — February 19, 2013 @ 8:45 am

Okay, I’ll chime in here.
    First and foremost, think twice on removing the window. If your kitchen is facing north, you really will miss the added natural light. Maybe you could have a smaller window?
    Secondly, if you choose Cherry, go with the lightest shade. In just a few years it will darken. In 15 or 20 years it will be almost black.
    Third; be certain to have roll out drawers within cabinetry. They make your knees and back very happy.
    Finally, no trash or recycling inside a cabinet…, mold issues. I know a lot of people who have discovered mold inside their cabinets. Odors from garbage is absorbed in the wood as well. Learn to carry your recycling out and buy a fancy, schmancy, garbage can. They’re expensive ($100+) but think of the added cabinetry space for….large cutting boards, baking sheets, etc.
    Do post the progress of your renovations. It will be fun to follow.

TidyMom — February 19, 2013 @ 8:58 am

What fun Sommer! I’m seeing a lot of the 2 tone cabinets and LOVE it – where you have maybe dark on the bottom and light on top or vice versa. Can’t wait to see what you do!

Heather Christo — February 19, 2013 @ 9:05 am

This is so exciting Sommer!! I love it!
    I like the Mission Maple Cream and the Mission Maple Linen (especially if you are getting rid of the window). I also like the rustic pull and the rustic knob.
    I kind of think the derbyshire is charming, but clear is always safe.
    1,2,4,7,8,9 are all great space savers!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — February 19, 2013 @ 9:09 am

FUN! We remodeled a few years ago. I have a pantry cabinet with pull-out shelves, it is my favorite! I can’t wait to see the outcome.

Brenna — February 19, 2013 @ 9:20 am

Winchester Maple Hazelnut with Cherry has my vote. Add the rustic pull and knob and Derbyshire glass. Awesome! It says “Asheville” to me – cozy yet sophisticated. It will be beautiful no matter what you choose! Can’t wait to see the final result!

Lauren — February 19, 2013 @ 9:21 am

Oh my goodness – so many choices! I really like the last one – the Winchester.

marla — February 19, 2013 @ 9:50 am

This is SOOOOOOO exciting Sommer. I need these guys in my life! My 1st choice is Wincester Maple Hazelnut with Honey.

Heather — February 19, 2013 @ 10:03 am

Try to work with a CKD (Certified Kitchen Designer) or CMKBD (Certified Master Kitchen & Bath Designer). I happen to be the latter, and I just built my dream home with my dream kitchen. Don’t be afraid of cherry as someone posted earlier – it only gets richer and warmer with age. I rented a house while building that had white bead board cabinets, and they were hard to keep clean. Paint also chips. I went with dark espresso cherry and wouldn’t change a thing. I did all frosted glass on the uppers so they are opaque, but still keep the kitchen from feeling top heavy. Also, as far as organization, DRAWERS! I have HUGE drawers for pots and pans and they are so much easier than roll-out shelves! When you pick your cabinets, make sure the drawers are all wood, full extension, and have a soft close feature. I would absolutely do something with the large windows that go close to the floor. They are beautiful, but not practical in today’s kitchen. Invest in a pantry with roll-out shelving for storing food. And I would also suggest the pull-out trash – even though someone said not to. Finding a place for a trash can, and having it out in the kitchen is messy looking. You won’t have mold if you take the trash out regularly. The other very important consideration is lighting. Be sure to plan for good lighting. Can’t wait to see the finished product! If you want to email me the floor plans, I would be happy to give them a once over! I have over 30 years experience designing kitchens and have been published in Women’s Day and won national awards. This is the most important room – especially for a foodie!! Good luck!

Jeanette — February 19, 2013 @ 10:11 am

What a fun project – so many choices! I’m into function and practicality, so I would opt for the frosted doors (to hide what’s inside) and pull out drawers for pots/pans/baking, swivel corner cabinets and pull-out garbage containers.

Nisha — February 19, 2013 @ 10:16 am

Summer, that’s so exciting your getting your kitchen remodeled!! I know you’ve been wanting this for a while, and I can’t wait to see it! I really like the Winchester Maple w/ hazelnut cherry cabinets, rustic knobs, and clear glass. I also like the organizational add-ons 1,7,9, and 6. You guys better have a party to unvail your new kitchen!

Eileen — February 19, 2013 @ 10:32 am

Sommer, I love rehabing, so this project sounds so much fun. I’m partial to the cherrry spice cabinets, but because they are darker you would want enough natural light in your kitchen. I like the toggle knobs, and the derbyshire doors. I think my biggest worry when I do a project of this size is – will I tire of it quickly? I can’t wait to see what you decide on. Happy cabinet picking!

Marian (Sweetopia) — February 19, 2013 @ 11:25 am

Oh how exciting Sommer! I know exactly how you feel because we’re in the process of renovating our home (kitchen) as well!! So many beautiful choices with Shenandoah Cabinetry, but my taste leans towards either the Misson Maple Linen, Charleston Maple Spice or the Winchester Maple Hazelnut with Cherry.

Flat contour pull and button knob for the cabinets and drawers.

Glass – I like them all! I haven’t figured this one out for my kitchen yet either.

Storage – #’s 3, 4, 7, 8, 9

Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Bret — February 19, 2013 @ 11:26 am

Hi Sommer!

I really like the lighter color cabinets. Mission Maple Linen is my favorite. Your kitchen has a bright feel and if it were mine, I wouldn’t want to lose that by going with a dark color cabinet. As for storage options, we have lazy susans in our under cabinet corners and we don’t like them because things invariably get rotated to the back and forgotten about. That said, I’m not sure I know a better way to utilize corner space under a cabinet. I definitely like storage option 4. Pots & pans are the hardest things to organize. I would go with the rustic pulls, to match the theme of your older house. I also like clear glass because it makes your space feel bigger. Ha! Looking at all the comments, I’m wondering if we’re all making your decision any easier!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — February 19, 2013 @ 11:34 am

Your house is so lovely! I like the Winchester Maple Hazelnut with Cherry and the rustic pulls/knobs.

Diane {Created by Diane} — February 19, 2013 @ 11:58 am

well I just LOVE selecting things. I’m very decisive. I like the Winchester cabinet in white/cream and like when the island is accented darker like cherry spice. I’m a no knob-drawer pull person but if I had to choose I’d go with the toggle knob. Frosted glass ;) Yep not sure this helps you but I love choosing, just let me know if I can choose anything else I love picking stuff out for others, I do it for my neighbors all the time and I’m currently selecting a couch for someone else :) Maybe I should get a job being a personal shopper :P LOL!

Cassie — February 19, 2013 @ 12:02 pm

Oh my gosh, Sommer! What a treat. We just moved into our new home too and the kitchen is nice but I am REALLY looking forward to doing some updates. Cabinets and appliances are definitely on the list. I love the rustic look of the Charleston Maple Spice and love the rustic pulls. And the organization section – ALL of it! Such great ideas!! I can’t wait to see what you choose!

Kristin — February 19, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

Decisons, decisions, decisions!!! I am so very excited for you, Sommer! A dream come true for anyone, but especially one who lives in their kitchen. All of these cabinets are beautiful; love the finishes. My favorite is the Winchester Maple Hazelnut……sounds like the start of a good sweet recipe! I love the rustic pulls & i also love that derbyshire glass. Because your house is old, i think these details would compliment that. I could never turn down a storage solution……all of those shown look wonderful! i can’t wait to see the finished product!

Gaby — February 19, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

frosted glass for sure. I like the white cabinets. LOVE the small pull bar handles!! This is so exciting!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 19, 2013 @ 1:51 pm

We are remodleing our kitchen too! My Husband actaully ordered the cupboards online because I didn’t care for the pre-stock ones from Home Dept. I liked the Cherry Color ones from Lowes, but my Husband didn’t. Actually the cabinetry we are doing is the Winchester Maple that you picked out! I really love it!! I personally would love cream color cabinets, but my Husband says they will get dirty to soon, especially with my dirty dogs that sit in the kicthen more then me!! And my dog puts his feet on the cabinets!! Weirdo! Anyway, my choices for you would be:

Winchester Maple
    Rustic Pull or Button Knob
    Clear Glass
    I like the #5 and #3 for the drawers

I can’t wait to find out what you pick!!!

Sharon — February 19, 2013 @ 1:53 pm

Must haves are 1 – 2 – & 7

I find my trash compactor to be a necessity since I live in the country and don’t have trash pick up. But I loved it in town too. So neat and clean and comoact.
    I like Mission Maple Cream with Cherry Spice.
    Have fun! What a job.

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — February 19, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

so many options– either of the winchester or the charleston– they all seem to go with an older home but with an upgrade :)

Nancy — February 19, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

I think the most valuable info I can give you, is to direct you to a wonderful website about kitchens. The folks there are very nice and will give you honest answers. I gutted my own kitchen 2 yrs ago and the help I got was tremendous.

Things I learned…. base cabinets should be all drawers where possible. … stick with the period of the house, modern styles don’t fit in a older home. Get the kitchen plan set, before you get pricing. Custom cabinets can save you $$ compared to stock cabs from HD or Lowes and you will end up with a better quality.

Function over form in the layout. The Kitchen Forum is all free advice from top designers and homeowners who have already been where you are right now. Designers giving advice are not trained….

Take your time, mistakes are costly. You want to love the kitchen after it’s done.

The first time I baked some bread in my new kitchen, I almost cried. Happy tears, as my planning payed off in how much easier it was to bake and cook. I was able to put in an induction cooktop and would would never go back to gas or electric coil.

Here’s the website: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/

Don’t be shy, give them the chance to help. State your budget and keep and open mind to the advice.

Kirsten@ My Kitchen in the Rockies — February 19, 2013 @ 2:15 pm

How exciting. I am looking forward to my kitchen renovation, too. Unfortunately I will still have to wait a little.
    Personally, for your house, I would go with Breckenridge, frosted glass, and the small bar pull. Cabinetry options 2 and 9 are an absolute must.
    Good luck!!

Kate@Diethood — February 19, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

Your kitchen is beautiful and cozy. I LOVE the windows!! Keep the windows!! :)
    Go with white cabinetry and rustic knobs and pulls. That’s what I would do. And I would keep the windows. ;-)

Berry — February 19, 2013 @ 2:42 pm

I am a practical over pretty person. (I want both of course). I’d go with the Sydney look because the cabinets will be easy to clean when the tomato sauce flies to the ceiling, and because I like cabinets that go all the way up. I don’t like the dust etc that accumulates on top of cabinets, and I like the extra storage space.

As far as color goes, the two tone is my favorite, although I suspect it’ll be very dated in a decade or so. The steel bow pull looks like it would be comfortable to pull (and has room to swag tea towels and dish towels).

I grew up in a kitchen with drawers for the base cabinets, and I vastly prefer them. I’d call 1 and 7 brilliant, 4 is prettier 9 is more space efficient 4 might be easier to use. I might use their tall skinny divider tray pullout, I’d say look at your baking pans to decide which would work better for you. I had a corner lazy susan like that and my pots were always falling out and I’d have to lie down on the floor and pretend to be contortionist to fish them out – so I wouldn’t build one into a kitchen for myself.

When my mom was designing her kitchen, she had an insert built from extra countertop material that fit over an open drawer and made extra counter space when she needed it. Unlike the retractible cutting board ones, it cleaned up nicely and stored away in a pantry closet.

Laura from Maggie Valley — February 19, 2013 @ 2:58 pm

I thought I was looking at my kitchen! I have the EXACT same cabinets- thermofoil! They are doing the same thing- peeling etc, although they are so easy to clean. they do not hold up. We are going to redo our kitchen within next year. BUT I am staying with the white (only in painted wood) because it is so fresh looking. For 28 years I had nat birch and nat maple and when we moved 7 yrs ago I loved the feeling I felt when I walked into this kitchen, it was so light & airy. I like what Diane selected. I really would think twice about going to a darker cabinet, lighter is more cheery esp in winter. I want a subtle but darker quartz, the color of wood, for the countertops. The current kitchen has , get ready…a white acrylic sink -you put a pan in it and you get the silver marks evrywhere and the counter is white 4″x4″ tiles with dk green grout UG ! So unsanitary I spend 10 min every evening cleaning it with a bleach solution. I prefer stainless steel sinks. They are so easy to clean. I adored my triple sink I had in the other house. I used the 3rd bowl as a drainboard so there were never drying dishes or pans on the counter. The kitchen always looked neat. Don’t forget recycle bins. Do try to get WALL ovens thet are dual, convection & regular in one. You’ll be so glad that don’t have to bend over with hot air in your face.again! They are so much safer as we get older too. For $99 try out a Fagor 20″x20″portable induction cooktop! They are unbelievably FAST. I think you may be able to get one at the kit store at I-40 & 240. 2 cups of water boil in about a min. There is a 2 induction & 3 radiant unit I’m looking at as I don’t like gas. Well, Good luck, have fun, & I agree, this is up there wll almost!!…with the birth of children!

Nikki Whited — February 19, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

So excited for you Sommer! Can’t wait to see what the new kitchen will look like!!!
    I can’t imagine your kitchen without white cabinets, it’s so airy and bright, anything else may make it too dark!
    Mission Maple Cream & Maple Espresso

Organizationally I vote for: #3, #4, #7, #9

Rustic Knob or small bar pull

I also like the clear glass.

But you have exquisite taste so, whatever you choose will be amazing!!!

Angie — February 19, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Too many choices! I love them all!!!

Portia — February 19, 2013 @ 3:52 pm

They are all beautiful!!! Can’t wait to see what you pick out!! decisions!! decisions!!

Colette @ JFF! — February 19, 2013 @ 5:30 pm

Oh, sweetheart, so many choices, it’s dizzying!
    Can’t blame you for asking for help.
    I like the new two-toned idea of cabinets…like the winchester. And you should paint the walls a vibrant crazy colour, because so little will actually be exposed. Lime green or a sweet yellow, although yellow’s very tricky to get just right.

As for the glass, I love frosted. It hides the uglies, but shows just enough to keep your interested.

Your kitchen’s not as bad as ours. I’ve gotta send you a pic! OMG
    So happy you guys are remodeling. We just got a new sink that Shawn’s installing right now. I’m so excited.
    I know, pathetic. Haahaa

Toni | BoulderLocavre.com — February 19, 2013 @ 6:45 pm

Such a challenge to have! I love that you have a chance to breathe new life into your charming farm house. Can’t wait to see what you choose; whatever it is will be perfect!

danielle — February 19, 2013 @ 6:55 pm

we just put shenandoah cabinetry in our kitchen this past summer. we did the breckenridge maple spice. my husband refused white. and cherry would make the room too dark. i love the pull out trash can/recycle bin. love it. (ew – mold? mine barely even smells. and if it does, i take it out. but i’ll keep an eye on that one.) it’s right by the sink and just below my most used food prep area which is also right next to my stove. great spot. the cutlery organizer was a huge bummer because hardly anything fit in it as most utensils were too big to fit in the slots. my silverware didn’t even fit, and i don’t have weird fancy silverware. i was very disappointed. so it’s a huge drawer with basically nothing useful in it. (it was a free upgrade, so at least i didn’t pay for it.) we also have the lazy susan. love that, too. but not for pans and such – it has all my baking stuff and pasta and rice and nuts, etc. we didn’t spend any more money on any of those pullouts, but they all look useful! though i do like my spices at eye level in a cabinet right next to my stove as opposed to a drawer or pull out cabinet (squatting to add a spice? – no thank you). i agree with drawers over cabinets. i have my baking dishes in a drawer. so easy to get them in and out compared to cabinets above the counter (i’m short – leverage is tricky) or bending over in cabinets below the counter. it all depends on how you roll in the kitchen. can’t go wrong if you know how you do it. =) have fun!

Chris — February 19, 2013 @ 6:57 pm

I ditto Nancy, Heather, Trish, Pam and so many other good contributions above. You are working with “moving parts” in the options pictured: different lay-out, different window/door and even wall locations; color, style, materials…
    If it were me…
    1. TIME> I would take as long as it takes. Don’t rush it.
    2. FLOOR PLAN. I would look at the floor plan and draw an “ideal” kitchen, based on light, flow and space; {fyi #1: I love your light; would never lose a window, although the window over the armchair can be reduced as in Winchester and Dominion options. Fyi#2. Don’t bring the laundry room into the kitchen. I like to keep things tiny and pretty as muhc as possible; I like to keep perfumes away from my kitchen and oils away from my laundry…Fyi#3 I love to decorate table settings, so I keep a lot of decorative items away, at the top – so I hate the space wasters that leave those inaccessible.]
    How much storage do you need? How much at arm’s length? Do you want to display china and glasses and decorative items? What appliances do you want on the counter top and which ones stored away? Do they need to be accessible at all times? (stand beater is kinda heavy to carry from a high cabinet…) Or can they hide behind a door on the counter?
    IMPT. I ne-ve-r use a right angle corner for storage form one direction if at all possible. Instead, I make the cupboard accessible from the opposite wall (often another room). Example, in your Storage Solution #2 picture– I would eliminate that space waster. The right side would come flush to teh left side. The resulting square behind them would be accessible from the –what space is that– dining room?. I would cut out a little space on that dining room wall and make a cupboard for glasses, placemats, place settings, etc, that you would use in the dining room.
    Hope that was clear :)
    3. STYLE is a matter of taste and preference. I think your lovely old house would not be happy with a modern Dominion or even a Sydney; Breckenridge is just about borderline. On the opposite end is boring and old Winchester, it makes your house look “worn.” But notice that with a coat of paint even Winchester can pop, as you see in the lively winchester Maple Hazelnut with Cherry. My two favorite style of the facings (NOT the layout) are Maple Hazelnut with Cherry (very airy, colonial) and Charleston maple Spice (light wood, fluted, goes well with white and yellow walls– awful layout).
    4. PRICE and Quality. Then you go out and price your options. Someone said custom may be less expensive–go for it, do price that.
    5. “Machines” — Fridge, oven, microwave, etc. Place them carefully. Love Laura from Maggie Valley’s reco’s. I need an overhead exhaust fan over my stove top. Never place walls around the stove, limits range of motion and speed of work (like in Mission Maple layout). Chest-level oven is great (I found eye-level too high– dangerous when carrying a heavy roast)
    5. FINISHING and DETAILS. By this point, you will have a wish-list of items. The sites other gals pointed out may help you a lot in making this list. Agree with….other gals…that good sliding drawers are great, can be better than pull-out shelves. Although when possible, (almost) always make a shelf pull-out.
    Pulls– careful not to snag on clothing. I like rounds or flat contour or rustic pulls.
    Organization. For spices, 1 or 3 may work for you. For me, a drawer sticking out is kind of cumbersome (what if I need a dash of…i dontknowwhat…?) So I keep my spices (sweet, savory) in baskets that I pull out of the cupboard over the counter when in use, tehn up they go when I’m done seasoning. You could also store baskets below, say, on shelves like 4 or 9.
    Trash belongs in the trash. I empty ours out every night, so I keep a very small bin near the sink/prep area. Never inside a cupboard.
    Glass. I love the use of glass on top cupboards. I like clear.

You have already come a long way. Make this a FUN experience. Involve your family (or not!). Nothing is forever, so when you’re ready, make your decision and go be happy in the new kitchen!
    i hope this long post has been helpful. Can’t wait to see the next step. Keep us posted.

katie — February 19, 2013 @ 7:34 pm

gah! what a fun project. My style is much more the country cottage style with the white cabinets and butcher block countertops. I love the darker pulls too! I can’t wait to see your kitchen transformation!

Samantha — February 19, 2013 @ 8:23 pm

Oh gosh. These are my choices:
    Charleston Maple Spice for the finish
    Rustic Pull for the handles
    #’s 1,8,7, and 4 are must haves in my opinion. #1 because my spices are in disarray. #4/7 because my pots and pans are a mess. and #8 because I always put my tiny garbage in the sink when I peel/cut/chop anything and this pull out version would be 10 times better than that.

I can’t wait to see your finished kitchen. Your current kitchen is nice even with the little annoyances but I would be the same way, especially about the fridge and cabinets peeling!

Terese — February 19, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

Sommer! What a blessing! So excited for you guys!

Knowing the style of your house, I like the Winchester Maple Hazelnut with Cherry. Rustic pulls & knobs and mullion cabinet glass.

As for the organization & drawers?! Take it all! :-)

Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — February 19, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

Oh my goodness, how much fun is that?! I’m loving the Mission Maple Cream kitchen and the Sydney Cherry Spice. I can’t wait to see the end result!!

MaryLou — February 19, 2013 @ 8:54 pm

What FUN! Everyone’s taste is different and whatever you pick will be fabulous. But, in the spirit of the game, my picks are: Cherry Spice, Rustic pull/knob Frosted Glass (clear or see through glass scares me). and for the cabinet options, of course it depends on the space and sizes, but my choises with no restrictions are 1,2,5,7,8,9. I have the pull out shelves, didn’t know how much I liked them until I spent time at my Mother’s house, and she didn’t have them.

Shaina — February 19, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

I’m so jealous. It’ll be another year or two before we do anything with my sad cabinets and teeny kitchen, but I so look forward to ALL THE CHOICES!

I like clean lines, so the Breckenridge, Mission, and Sydney are my favorites (leaning heavily in favor of Sydney). I like the steel bow pull #2 and the small bar. Um, and I’d want all the organizational things, but specifically #4 and #7.

Have fun! I can’t wait to see the new kitchen space.

JB — February 19, 2013 @ 9:28 pm

The combination of Maple Hazelnut and Cherry Java is my favorite! Have you checked out the McKinley door? The McKinley in Maple Hazelnut with Cherry Java or Maple Espresso accents is my dream kitchen! I love the way the Mckinley door shows off the glaze! I think the rustic pull and knob would be my choice along with the mullion glass door. In terms of organization I would say pot and pan organizer, cutlery divider, wastebasket and pantry pullout!

Sherrie Kerns — February 19, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

Love all the choices Somer! Can’t wait to see the after pics, it’s going to be so nice. My husband and I both agreed on our choices instantly. Winchester Maple Hazelnut with Cherry for the island and pantry. Flat contour pulls and toggle knobs for drawers. Maybe Derbyshire glass to show off your dinnerware. Finally, a spicy perspective kitchen would not be complete without several spice racks and pots and pans drawers! We wish you the best with your kitchen makeover!

Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) — February 19, 2013 @ 10:27 pm

I was working as a kitchen designer this past year so I love this stuff.

Though not my style, I would go with Winchester Maple with rustic pulls/knobs given the style of your house.

Clear glass if you’re including glass cabinets, though just keep in mind that they are better for the less-used doors as shown in the photo.

Accessories: 1,2,7,8,9. I would also include cutlery insert and adjustable dividers for your large utensils. The problem with 3 is that spice bottles vary in size these days and your collection may not fit. If you’re opting for lazy susan, make sure you get the wood, not plastic option. The sliding trays with option #5 always seem to get caught. If they offer it, I would try to get a two trash can insert….those things fill up quickly especially if you have kids.

What a fun project! Great blessing for you!

bethany — February 19, 2013 @ 10:52 pm

oh sommer, i can’t even begin to give suggestions! i will say, i adore your kitchen island and i’d hate to see that leave. its the best place to hang out and watch you cook! :) so happy for you – love love!

Elizabeth — February 19, 2013 @ 11:50 pm

Remodeling is always fun! Well at least the outcome :) I prefer the Breckenridge Maple Natural with button knobs, both of which are a breeze to clean. No glass fronted cabinets because they show too much clutter, I would only do glass on select cabinets that were mostly for glassware display. Organization is so huge! The spice drawer (#3) is perfect, but don’t have it built-in to the drawer. Use a tiered insert so you can remove it for easy cleaning or to change the drawer to a regular drawer if you wanted to. The drawer for the flat items (#7) like baking sheets and cutting boards is a must as well as the trash drawer (#8). I have a trash drawer in my kitchen that has two receptacles in it, one for trash and one for recycling. Hope this helps and good luck in your remodeling adventures!

Aly — February 20, 2013 @ 2:09 am

The first and last cabinets are my favorite style (I love light, bright cabinets!). And the light silver knobs call to me, but maybe the steel bow pull. For the glass, I don’t like “showing” my dishes because then they have to look perfect at all times…so I am a frosted or non-glass kind of girl. I think 3, 7, and 9 are the most important organizing options. But that’s for my kitchen. What tools do you use the most? What food items that you MUST have organized? I don’t care as much about my vinegars/oils/etc., but my spices must be alphabetized. :D

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 20, 2013 @ 2:20 am

What fun! I like the look of clean white cabinets with a flat pull. It’s a classic look that will never go out of style but I also love the look of dark wood with the more modern touches as well. Can’t wait to see what you chose!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — February 20, 2013 @ 3:28 am

Wow…how amazing! I live in an urban condo with my family and my kitchen is the size of a shoebox. I literally keep baking pans in my coat closet. We are so cramped and your kitchen, the un-remodeled version, is already my dream kitchen! Whatever you do is going to turn out amazing. The cabinetry is all drop dead gorgeous! Wow! Mission Maple Linen or the last choice, those are my top 2!

Julie @ Table for Two — February 20, 2013 @ 6:54 am

ahhh i can’t wait to see this transformation!!!

this is what i would do:

winchester maple hazelnut w/cherry
    small bar pull
    frosted glass
    & 1, 4, 8, 9 for storage options. I have 8 & 9 and i love not having a trashcan that sits out to the side, and rather, they’re hidden. I also have that lazy susan cabinet thing (#2) and I think it’s a pain, so I wouldn’t get that. I also have 9 and I LOVE it for all my pots and pans!

dee m — February 20, 2013 @ 7:06 am

I am smiling big time for you! I too live in an old home, 1831 farmhouse for the last 36 years. It has been badly abused for 35 years, we sometimes think we bought the frame and are building it a toothpick at a time…it has been years of off and on rehabbing. This year is “my year” to rehab our kitchen. We had planned to build our own cabinets, went so far as to track down hickory wood from Amish and have it roughly cut. Then two yrs ago bought cupboards that are 80 to 100 plus years old, that I am working on.
    What fun!

I love the Charleston Maple Spice for your kitchen. I felt they would add a warmth feeling to your kitchen, making your kitchen cozy, and gives somewhat of a vintage feel. We spend ALOT of time in our kitchen, we always seems to gravitate there. I felt that kind of feeling with these cupboards. Inviting. I love the clear glass, thought that would suit this look. I think the rustic knobs and the rustic pulls would be great looking on these cubbies.

For your storage, so many awesome nooks and crannies to fill eh? I don’t have any of these in my kitchen, some I felt were unnecessary, i.e. the bag holder, I made a bag that holds my bags that fits on my door, the one pictured takes much space.. I think #5 the double decker silverware holder is devine., # 9 the sliding drawer for pots and pans would be great and easy access for you, #1 is great for those little jars that get lost on a shelf, and I like #4, again easy access to see , would be great for baking bread pans, glassware and such…

I hope you will keep us all posted so we can see your progress. Its going to be a lot of decisions, decisions, decisions… ha Best to you.. will be thinking of you.. :)

Jenny Flake — February 20, 2013 @ 7:28 am

What a fun project Sommer!!! Can’t wait to see your new kitchen! It’s every foodies dream isn’t it?! :)

jacqueline — February 20, 2013 @ 8:44 am

love your recepies and chat.
    Well what a chance to have a new kitchen – thats what we all want at sometime,
    even if we have had it planned, there are always stuff you would change…
    still I would choose the
    winchester maple hazelnut with cherry
    and the rustic pull handles
    the derbishire glass and of course the drawers!
    plenty of room for oven dishes and pans, I find that i am always stretching up
    into cupboards for pans and groveliing around in other cupboards for the oven trays
    that always come out 3 at a time and make a clattering noise when i’m trying to
    surprise my husband with some biscuits….
    so 1, 7 and 9 for me.
    have a good time – jacqueline

Stephanie Hanson — February 20, 2013 @ 11:53 am

Oh my goodness – so jealous!! Ok so here is what I would pick:

Winchester Maple Hazlenut with Cherry – love the combo of dark and light!
    Rustic Pull and Rustic Knob
    Frosted glass – that way you can hide some disorganization!!
    I would choose organization options 2,3,4,5,6 and 7 – pretty much all of them haha!

Can’t wait to see how it turns out – whatever you choose, I am sure it will be absolutely gorgeous!!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 20, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

How exciting is this! Thanks for including us in your choice making, Sommer. So excited to see the end result. My favorite is the Winchester Cherry Spice… What can I say, I’m a traditional kind of gal!

RavieNomNoms — February 20, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

Oh my!! This is just like so much fun, I am revamping my kitchen right now as well!

NaNa Scric — February 20, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

Mission Maple Linen might be what you need for your photo shoots. Can hardly wait those what you choose. ILOVE THE LAST ONE—-dark and light both. On the organizational features, I would choose every single feature.

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen — February 20, 2013 @ 9:31 pm

I like the mission maple linen because it looks so clean and fresh. Plus, it’ll be so light! I’d do a mix of the rustic pulls and knobs with the white. And the frosted glass would be good if you don’t have matching dishes or the most organized cupboards :) As far as organization goes, I’m no help there! Anything would be a step up for me!

Megan Pence @ Wanna be a Country Cleaver — February 20, 2013 @ 10:30 pm

I’m a huge fan of frosted glass on cabinets. That way you get the light and can see colored dishes – but you don’t have to see if there are some things “out of place” – it’s a little bit of an illusion.
    For the cabinets – I like the texture of the Charleston Maple, it’s warm and cozy but not too dark to be dreary or light reducing.
    I can’t wait to see the end result – it’s going to be beautiful no matter what!!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — February 21, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

Wow, there’s just so many to choose from! But let me first say that I feel so much better that I’m not the only one with electric outlet issues. I only have 2 and it’s behind the microwave so it’s such a pain!

So I personally love the mission maple linen. It’s just gorgeous! And for organization, I love #7! Mine just pile up on top of each other so if I need something on the bottom, it’s a nightmare!

Shanna@ pineapple and coconut — February 25, 2013 @ 11:39 am

FUN!! We are currently remodeling our kitchen as well -its subfloor and framed walls right now. It needed to be totally gutted and brought back to life. I personally love white kitchens – so bright and airy. We are doing dark hardwoods ( already purchased) white cabinets ( similar to the mission maple linen which my husband is building all of the cabinets) carrara marble for the island counter ( already bought the slab) soapstone counters ( samples on the way) and sea glass colored subway tile backsplash. I love the clear glass top cabinet doors too. I LOVE all the storage options too – one can never have enough storage. I can’t wait to see what you decide!!

Tracy — March 6, 2013 @ 9:28 am

Mission Maple Linen; Rustic Pulls; Derbyshire Glass; ALL of the organization for cabinets and drawers!

Laura — March 6, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

Sommer,
    How awesome that you are getting to remodel your kitchen! I totally get it since I spend most of my day in it as well. I really like the first and last cabinet choices. I love mixing two color of woods. i currently have cherry cabinets with cream cabinet accents. I would rather have it flipped though. I’ll tell you why. The problem with having darker cabinets is that you can see every smudge and fingerprint. I am having to constantly clean them. it’s difficult to keep them clean when you have four young boys with messy hands grabbing stuff out of the cabinets. I also have the lazy susans in a few cabinets and they are awesome! I have the pull out trash can cabinet (double- one for trash and one for recycling) which I think is a must too! The pull out drawers really help with finding things easily in your cabinets. Totally worth it. Any type of organizers in the cabinets are worth it to me. I also would recommend getting the soft-close cabinet hardware which will make sure your drawers and cabinet doors are never slammed and it will save you and your kids from soar fingers. Do you have a pantry? I have a built in pantry that has the pull out drawers which I love b/c I never lose food. I can see everything. You have a really great space and I love how open your kitchen is! I’m sure it is going to be so beautiful when it’s all said and done! Maybe Dave, the kids, and I can stop in for a visit some time and see the new kitchen. Good luck to you!
    Blessings, my friend!