Help Me Pick My Shenandoah Cabinetry

Dear Friends, My kitchen is going to be remodeled over the next two months and I desperately need YOUR help!

Shenandoah Cabinetry - Mission 5 Piece Drawer Maple Cream with Cherry Spice K_LW_42MGL_42CSS_ISLB_12_GEN

When you spend every waking moment in your kitchen, there are few things that could be more exciting than a kitchen makeover.

….My wedding day, the birth of my children, kitchen makeover. That’s pretty much the order of exhilaration in my little world.

We live in a lovely 80-something year old home, in an eclectic old neighborhood.

When we moved to Asheville, NC we looked at house after house, many much newer and bigger than the one we bought. Some with fantastic mountain views.

A Spicy Perspective Kitchen Makeover- Help Me Pick My Shenandoah Cabinetry

Yet we walked into this old place, with unlevel floors and creaking staircases, and I looked at Lt. Dan and sighed, “This is it.”

It wasn’t just a house, it was a home.

Where history and character were rooted generations before our time, and will remain long after.

A Spicy Perspective Kitchen Makeover- Help Me Pick My Shenandoah Cabinetry #kitchen

We bought our home, knowing many renovations would follow. In the last few years we’ve moved the laundry room, added a bathroom, and painted EVERY INCH of the old girl.

Yet the kitchen still needs some love.

kitchen makeover before shots

I can’t complain much about my current kitchen.

For an old house it’s very spacious. (The previous owners took out a mud room to extend it.) It has nice granite counter tops and a big island that I love working on, with my family gathered around.

But there are some issues.

issues

For one, the cabinets are laminated plywood, so they peel.

peeling cabinets

And peel.

peeling drawers

The cabinets don’t offer a lot of storage options, so there is a great deal of wasted space.

messy drawers

The fridge is in a corner, meaning the door only opens to 90 degrees.

Meaning I’ve never been able to take out the shelves for a thorough cleaning.

(Gross, right? I couldn’t bare to show you the inside.)

corner fridge - boo!

And there is wasted wall space due to old windows.

kitchen corner

It’s not a bad kitchen.

Actually, it’s a pretty nice kitchen.

However, these little annoyances get the stink-eye every time I see them, and kitchen cabinetry has come a long way since these babies were put in.

kitchen corner

I’ve dreamed of remodeling my kitchen for so long, I almost can’t believe the day is finally here.

With the help of Shenandoah Cabinetry, this spring my kitchen will experience a complete overhaul.

I’ve looked at Shenandoah Cabinetry many times, walking through the Lowes Design Center.

I always stop and flip through the door styles and finishes, daydreaming about what my kitchen might look like someday.

Shenandoah Cabinetry - Winchester Cherry Spice K_LW_K6SDF_NoLifestyle_12

Shenandoah Cabinetry is a stand-out from other cabinet companies, because they offer high quality hard-wood cabinetry at extremely competitive prices.

Their cabinetry is American-made and grown in sustainable forests. Plus, Shenandoah Cabinetry offers many storage solutions for organizing your kitchen.

Shenandoah Cabinetry - Dominion Maple Coffee with Maple Espresso K_LW_Y3DDL_A_12

In fact, there are so many options in style and functionality, that I’m having a hard time deciding what I like best.

I’d love to hear your opinion on this.

Will you help me?

Here are a few styles I’m looking at…. Which one would YOU pick?

Shenandoah Cabinetry - Breckenridge Maple Natural K_LW_28MNS_HORZ2_08_GENShenandoah Cabinetry - Mission Maple Linen K_LW_41MPS_12Shenandoah Cabinetry - Charleston Maple Spice K_LW_Z5S_H_12RShenandoah Cabinetry - Sydney Cherry Spice K_LW_39CSS_RANGEWALLCB_10_GENShenandoah Cabinetry - Winchester Maple Hazelnut with Cherry Java K_LW_D5ZDF_K6KDF_HORZA_12_GEN

Here are a few of the Draw Pulls and Knobs I like…

Shenandoah Cabinetry Hardware

Here are some popular Glass Door options.

Shenandoah Cabinetry Glass Options

About Organization…

What do you think are the most important storage options to have?

Shenandoah Cabinetry - Storage Collage

(There are many more options here.)

Please Help Me….

I would greatly appreciate your input on cabinet styles, hardware, glass, and organization.

Let me know what YOU would pick in the comments below.

I’ll make sure to keep you updated on the process!

79 Responses to “Help Me Pick My Shenandoah Cabinetry”

katie — February 19, 2013 @ 7:34 pm

gah! what a fun project. My style is much more the country cottage style with the white cabinets and butcher block countertops. I love the darker pulls too! I can’t wait to see your kitchen transformation!

Samantha — February 19, 2013 @ 8:23 pm

Oh gosh. These are my choices:
    Charleston Maple Spice for the finish
    Rustic Pull for the handles
    #’s 1,8,7, and 4 are must haves in my opinion. #1 because my spices are in disarray. #4/7 because my pots and pans are a mess. and #8 because I always put my tiny garbage in the sink when I peel/cut/chop anything and this pull out version would be 10 times better than that.

I can’t wait to see your finished kitchen. Your current kitchen is nice even with the little annoyances but I would be the same way, especially about the fridge and cabinets peeling!

Terese — February 19, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

Sommer! What a blessing! So excited for you guys!

Knowing the style of your house, I like the Winchester Maple Hazelnut with Cherry. Rustic pulls & knobs and mullion cabinet glass.

As for the organization & drawers?! Take it all! :-)

Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — February 19, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

Oh my goodness, how much fun is that?! I’m loving the Mission Maple Cream kitchen and the Sydney Cherry Spice. I can’t wait to see the end result!!

MaryLou — February 19, 2013 @ 8:54 pm

What FUN! Everyone’s taste is different and whatever you pick will be fabulous. But, in the spirit of the game, my picks are: Cherry Spice, Rustic pull/knob Frosted Glass (clear or see through glass scares me). and for the cabinet options, of course it depends on the space and sizes, but my choises with no restrictions are 1,2,5,7,8,9. I have the pull out shelves, didn’t know how much I liked them until I spent time at my Mother’s house, and she didn’t have them.

Shaina — February 19, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

I’m so jealous. It’ll be another year or two before we do anything with my sad cabinets and teeny kitchen, but I so look forward to ALL THE CHOICES!

I like clean lines, so the Breckenridge, Mission, and Sydney are my favorites (leaning heavily in favor of Sydney). I like the steel bow pull #2 and the small bar. Um, and I’d want all the organizational things, but specifically #4 and #7.

Have fun! I can’t wait to see the new kitchen space.

JB — February 19, 2013 @ 9:28 pm

The combination of Maple Hazelnut and Cherry Java is my favorite! Have you checked out the McKinley door? The McKinley in Maple Hazelnut with Cherry Java or Maple Espresso accents is my dream kitchen! I love the way the Mckinley door shows off the glaze! I think the rustic pull and knob would be my choice along with the mullion glass door. In terms of organization I would say pot and pan organizer, cutlery divider, wastebasket and pantry pullout!

Sherrie Kerns — February 19, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

Love all the choices Somer! Can’t wait to see the after pics, it’s going to be so nice. My husband and I both agreed on our choices instantly. Winchester Maple Hazelnut with Cherry for the island and pantry. Flat contour pulls and toggle knobs for drawers. Maybe Derbyshire glass to show off your dinnerware. Finally, a spicy perspective kitchen would not be complete without several spice racks and pots and pans drawers! We wish you the best with your kitchen makeover!

Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) — February 19, 2013 @ 10:27 pm

I was working as a kitchen designer this past year so I love this stuff.

Though not my style, I would go with Winchester Maple with rustic pulls/knobs given the style of your house.

Clear glass if you’re including glass cabinets, though just keep in mind that they are better for the less-used doors as shown in the photo.

Accessories: 1,2,7,8,9. I would also include cutlery insert and adjustable dividers for your large utensils. The problem with 3 is that spice bottles vary in size these days and your collection may not fit. If you’re opting for lazy susan, make sure you get the wood, not plastic option. The sliding trays with option #5 always seem to get caught. If they offer it, I would try to get a two trash can insert….those things fill up quickly especially if you have kids.

What a fun project! Great blessing for you!

bethany — February 19, 2013 @ 10:52 pm

oh sommer, i can’t even begin to give suggestions! i will say, i adore your kitchen island and i’d hate to see that leave. its the best place to hang out and watch you cook! :) so happy for you – love love!

Elizabeth — February 19, 2013 @ 11:50 pm

Remodeling is always fun! Well at least the outcome :) I prefer the Breckenridge Maple Natural with button knobs, both of which are a breeze to clean. No glass fronted cabinets because they show too much clutter, I would only do glass on select cabinets that were mostly for glassware display. Organization is so huge! The spice drawer (#3) is perfect, but don’t have it built-in to the drawer. Use a tiered insert so you can remove it for easy cleaning or to change the drawer to a regular drawer if you wanted to. The drawer for the flat items (#7) like baking sheets and cutting boards is a must as well as the trash drawer (#8). I have a trash drawer in my kitchen that has two receptacles in it, one for trash and one for recycling. Hope this helps and good luck in your remodeling adventures!

Aly — February 20, 2013 @ 2:09 am

The first and last cabinets are my favorite style (I love light, bright cabinets!). And the light silver knobs call to me, but maybe the steel bow pull. For the glass, I don’t like “showing” my dishes because then they have to look perfect at all times…so I am a frosted or non-glass kind of girl. I think 3, 7, and 9 are the most important organizing options. But that’s for my kitchen. What tools do you use the most? What food items that you MUST have organized? I don’t care as much about my vinegars/oils/etc., but my spices must be alphabetized. :D

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 20, 2013 @ 2:20 am

What fun! I like the look of clean white cabinets with a flat pull. It’s a classic look that will never go out of style but I also love the look of dark wood with the more modern touches as well. Can’t wait to see what you chose!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — February 20, 2013 @ 3:28 am

Wow…how amazing! I live in an urban condo with my family and my kitchen is the size of a shoebox. I literally keep baking pans in my coat closet. We are so cramped and your kitchen, the un-remodeled version, is already my dream kitchen! Whatever you do is going to turn out amazing. The cabinetry is all drop dead gorgeous! Wow! Mission Maple Linen or the last choice, those are my top 2!

Julie @ Table for Two — February 20, 2013 @ 6:54 am

ahhh i can’t wait to see this transformation!!!

this is what i would do:

winchester maple hazelnut w/cherry
    small bar pull
    frosted glass
    & 1, 4, 8, 9 for storage options. I have 8 & 9 and i love not having a trashcan that sits out to the side, and rather, they’re hidden. I also have that lazy susan cabinet thing (#2) and I think it’s a pain, so I wouldn’t get that. I also have 9 and I LOVE it for all my pots and pans!

dee m — February 20, 2013 @ 7:06 am

I am smiling big time for you! I too live in an old home, 1831 farmhouse for the last 36 years. It has been badly abused for 35 years, we sometimes think we bought the frame and are building it a toothpick at a time…it has been years of off and on rehabbing. This year is “my year” to rehab our kitchen. We had planned to build our own cabinets, went so far as to track down hickory wood from Amish and have it roughly cut. Then two yrs ago bought cupboards that are 80 to 100 plus years old, that I am working on.
    What fun!

I love the Charleston Maple Spice for your kitchen. I felt they would add a warmth feeling to your kitchen, making your kitchen cozy, and gives somewhat of a vintage feel. We spend ALOT of time in our kitchen, we always seems to gravitate there. I felt that kind of feeling with these cupboards. Inviting. I love the clear glass, thought that would suit this look. I think the rustic knobs and the rustic pulls would be great looking on these cubbies.

For your storage, so many awesome nooks and crannies to fill eh? I don’t have any of these in my kitchen, some I felt were unnecessary, i.e. the bag holder, I made a bag that holds my bags that fits on my door, the one pictured takes much space.. I think #5 the double decker silverware holder is devine., # 9 the sliding drawer for pots and pans would be great and easy access for you, #1 is great for those little jars that get lost on a shelf, and I like #4, again easy access to see , would be great for baking bread pans, glassware and such…

I hope you will keep us all posted so we can see your progress. Its going to be a lot of decisions, decisions, decisions… ha Best to you.. will be thinking of you.. :)

Jenny Flake — February 20, 2013 @ 7:28 am

What a fun project Sommer!!! Can’t wait to see your new kitchen! It’s every foodies dream isn’t it?! :)

jacqueline — February 20, 2013 @ 8:44 am

love your recepies and chat.
    Well what a chance to have a new kitchen – thats what we all want at sometime,
    even if we have had it planned, there are always stuff you would change…
    still I would choose the
    winchester maple hazelnut with cherry
    and the rustic pull handles
    the derbishire glass and of course the drawers!
    plenty of room for oven dishes and pans, I find that i am always stretching up
    into cupboards for pans and groveliing around in other cupboards for the oven trays
    that always come out 3 at a time and make a clattering noise when i’m trying to
    surprise my husband with some biscuits….
    so 1, 7 and 9 for me.
    have a good time – jacqueline

Stephanie Hanson — February 20, 2013 @ 11:53 am

Oh my goodness – so jealous!! Ok so here is what I would pick:

Winchester Maple Hazlenut with Cherry – love the combo of dark and light!
    Rustic Pull and Rustic Knob
    Frosted glass – that way you can hide some disorganization!!
    I would choose organization options 2,3,4,5,6 and 7 – pretty much all of them haha!

Can’t wait to see how it turns out – whatever you choose, I am sure it will be absolutely gorgeous!!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 20, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

How exciting is this! Thanks for including us in your choice making, Sommer. So excited to see the end result. My favorite is the Winchester Cherry Spice… What can I say, I’m a traditional kind of gal!

RavieNomNoms — February 20, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

Oh my!! This is just like so much fun, I am revamping my kitchen right now as well!

NaNa Scric — February 20, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

Mission Maple Linen might be what you need for your photo shoots. Can hardly wait those what you choose. ILOVE THE LAST ONE—-dark and light both. On the organizational features, I would choose every single feature.

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen — February 20, 2013 @ 9:31 pm

I like the mission maple linen because it looks so clean and fresh. Plus, it’ll be so light! I’d do a mix of the rustic pulls and knobs with the white. And the frosted glass would be good if you don’t have matching dishes or the most organized cupboards :) As far as organization goes, I’m no help there! Anything would be a step up for me!

Megan Pence @ Wanna be a Country Cleaver — February 20, 2013 @ 10:30 pm

I’m a huge fan of frosted glass on cabinets. That way you get the light and can see colored dishes – but you don’t have to see if there are some things “out of place” – it’s a little bit of an illusion.
    For the cabinets – I like the texture of the Charleston Maple, it’s warm and cozy but not too dark to be dreary or light reducing.
    I can’t wait to see the end result – it’s going to be beautiful no matter what!!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — February 21, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

Wow, there’s just so many to choose from! But let me first say that I feel so much better that I’m not the only one with electric outlet issues. I only have 2 and it’s behind the microwave so it’s such a pain!

So I personally love the mission maple linen. It’s just gorgeous! And for organization, I love #7! Mine just pile up on top of each other so if I need something on the bottom, it’s a nightmare!

Shanna@ pineapple and coconut — February 25, 2013 @ 11:39 am

FUN!! We are currently remodeling our kitchen as well -its subfloor and framed walls right now. It needed to be totally gutted and brought back to life. I personally love white kitchens – so bright and airy. We are doing dark hardwoods ( already purchased) white cabinets ( similar to the mission maple linen which my husband is building all of the cabinets) carrara marble for the island counter ( already bought the slab) soapstone counters ( samples on the way) and sea glass colored subway tile backsplash. I love the clear glass top cabinet doors too. I LOVE all the storage options too – one can never have enough storage. I can’t wait to see what you decide!!

Tracy — March 6, 2013 @ 9:28 am

Mission Maple Linen; Rustic Pulls; Derbyshire Glass; ALL of the organization for cabinets and drawers!

Laura — March 6, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

Sommer,
    How awesome that you are getting to remodel your kitchen! I totally get it since I spend most of my day in it as well. I really like the first and last cabinet choices. I love mixing two color of woods. i currently have cherry cabinets with cream cabinet accents. I would rather have it flipped though. I’ll tell you why. The problem with having darker cabinets is that you can see every smudge and fingerprint. I am having to constantly clean them. it’s difficult to keep them clean when you have four young boys with messy hands grabbing stuff out of the cabinets. I also have the lazy susans in a few cabinets and they are awesome! I have the pull out trash can cabinet (double- one for trash and one for recycling) which I think is a must too! The pull out drawers really help with finding things easily in your cabinets. Totally worth it. Any type of organizers in the cabinets are worth it to me. I also would recommend getting the soft-close cabinet hardware which will make sure your drawers and cabinet doors are never slammed and it will save you and your kids from soar fingers. Do you have a pantry? I have a built in pantry that has the pull out drawers which I love b/c I never lose food. I can see everything. You have a really great space and I love how open your kitchen is! I’m sure it is going to be so beautiful when it’s all said and done! Maybe Dave, the kids, and I can stop in for a visit some time and see the new kitchen. Good luck to you!
    Blessings, my friend!