celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

How to Roast Red Peppers (Roasted Red Peppers)

How to Roast Red Peppers (Roasted Red Peppers) #howto #redpepperThis weeks “How To” Tip: How To Roast Red Peppers. Roasting your own peppers is a simple way to enjoy that sweet and smoky flavor you crave!

How to Roast Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

I am crazy for roasted red peppers. CRAZY… for them.

Maybe you haven’t noticed as I’ve slyly sprinkled roasted red pepper recipes all over ASP.

Recipes like:

You don’t have to roast your own peppers for any of these recipes. In fact, at certain times of the year, jarred roasted red peppers are much less expensive and make a good substitute.

But as I mentioned in my last How To post, fresh always wins when it comes to flavor.

How to Oven Roast Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

However during pepper season, you can get all sorts of fresh peppers for a fraction of the cost.

Roasting you own red peppers is the best way to get the freshest smoky-sweet pepper flavor.

I’ve roasted red peppers in a variety of ways. If I’m using my grill for other dishes, I just throw whole peppers on the grill and give them a good char. If I only have one red pepper to roast, I’ll hold it over a gas burner with tongs to quickly char all the sides.

Yet the most efficient way to roast a LOT of peppers at once, is oven roasting peppers.

You don’t have to mess with turning the peppers, you simply lay them out flat and leave them in the oven until the skins are dark and blistered.

Here’s how I do it…

How to Roast Red Peppers

Roast Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

Move the oven rack to the top position and preheat the oven to broil.

Cut all the peppers into quarters, then remove the stems, seeds and membranes.

Roasting Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

Lay the peppers flat on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, skin side up. Press them flat with your hand. You want as much skin as possible to be directly under the heat source, for even charring. This makes the peels easier to remove later.

Oven Roasting Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

Broil the red peppers 10-15 minutes, or until the skins are extremely black, but the flesh underneath is still soft and moist.

Oven Roasted Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

Once the skins have blackened, remove the peppers from the oven and place in a large paper bag, or zip bag. Close the bag and allow the peppers to steam for at least 10 minutes. This loosens the skin from the flesh.

How to Make Roasted Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

After the peppers have had time to steam, dump them out on the baking sheet and gently pull the skins off. If your peppers were evenly charred, the once rubbery skins should slip right off!

You can now: can, freeze, or refrigerate your oven roasted peppers. If canning, make sure to follow proper canning procedures to get a tight seal on your canning jars.

Easy Roasted Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

I usually just keep them in an air-tight container, in the fridge for up to a week. Longer if you pack them in oil.

You can roast all sort of peppers this way. Just make sure, if you are roasting thin-fleshed peppers like Anaheims, that you take them out of the oven much earlier. The thicker the pepper, the longer they can stay in the oven.

Happy Roasting!

You May Also Like...

56 Responses to “How to Roast Red Peppers (Roasted Red Peppers)”

1. Belinda @zomppaposted February 13, 2013 at 5:16 am

Ah…the paper bag…good step to know!!

2. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchenposted February 13, 2013 at 6:35 am

Excellent How-To post, Sommer! I love the idea of roasting many peppers at once in the oven. Thank you! Pinning… xo

3. Rachel Cooksposted February 13, 2013 at 7:15 am

Great post! What is your favorite use for them?

• Sommer — February 13th, 2013 @ 7:36 am

Oh, definitely Roasted Red Pepper Soup!

• HausZwei — October 22nd, 2013 @ 4:25 pm

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomatoe Soup is my fave! Fresh tomatoes and fresh red peppers. to die for.

4. Cassieposted February 13, 2013 at 8:08 am

I love roasted red peppers but don’t make them near enough at home. I love this method, Sommer!

5. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggiesposted February 13, 2013 at 8:18 am

Roasted red peppers are one of my go-to ingredients. If a recipe is missing a little something, I’m probably going to add some roasted red peppers. :) Great post!

6. Paula - bell'alimentoposted February 13, 2013 at 9:29 am

Roasted red peppers are so versatile!

7. Sandyposted February 13, 2013 at 9:40 am

YEAH!!! Red peppers are on sale this week three for a dollar. I will stock up and try your recipes.

8. a farmer in the dellposted February 13, 2013 at 10:00 am

I’m crazy for roasted red peppers too! thanks for the tips!

9. Tara @ Unsophisticookposted February 13, 2013 at 10:11 am

So easy — and homemade always tastes better!

10. Pingback: How to Roast Red Peppers ~ Roasted Red Peppers | A Spicy Perspective | Just Food Blogs | Scoop.it

11. Laura (Tutti Dolci)posted February 13, 2013 at 10:48 am

I love roasted red peppers! Just had to peek at your spicy feta dip – it looks incredible, pinned!

12. Foodie Momposted February 13, 2013 at 1:18 pm

You mentioned freezing them; how do you recommend freezing and thawing them? Also how long would they keep in the freezer?
    Thanks!!

13. Aggieposted February 13, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I’m a sucker for roasted peppers!! Love this Sommer!

14. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabblesposted February 13, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Red peppers are one of my very favorite veggies, and I love to roast them. Great tutorial, Sommer!

15. Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted February 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm

This is such a great tutorial! I’ve never actually roasted red peppers myself (I get the jarred ones at Trader Joe’s) but I think I need to tackle this from now on!

16. Carol Kintighposted February 13, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Can you tell me how you pack them in oil? Is there any trick to it, or do you just stuff them in a jar and pour oil over them? How long will they last in the refrigerator if oil packed?

• Sommer — February 15th, 2013 @ 8:09 am

Hi Carol, I just fill the jars as full as possible with peppers, then top off the jars with olive oil. Then you can “can” them, or just put them in the fridge. The oil congeals in the fridge and gives the peppers a long-lasting protective layer. They will keep for 2-3 months like that.

17. Julia @ A Cedar Spoonposted February 13, 2013 at 2:38 pm

This is a great post! I really like roasted red pepper and often make hummus, but have to admit a lot of times I buy the jarred roasted red peppers. I like that you just jarred your own. I am definitely going to do that and try your red pepper alioli for dipping potatoes in. Yummy.

18. Brian @ A Thought For Foodposted February 13, 2013 at 3:07 pm

GAH! Let them steam. That’s a great tip. I am definitely going to try this.

19. Heather Christoposted February 13, 2013 at 4:12 pm

This is an awesome How-to- thanks Sommer!

20. Jessica@AKitchenAddictionposted February 13, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I love roasted red peppers and put them in everything! I’ll have to try your method!

21. Gabyposted February 13, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Love me some roasted red peppers – and doing it at home is so much better than store bought ones!

22. Daraposted February 13, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Fabulous! I love adding these to sandwiches and salads.

23. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchenposted February 13, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Great how to! I have just recently discovered how good roasted red peppers are, now I add them to everything!

24. Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungryposted February 13, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Roast peppers are my favorite way of eating peppers but I don’t have a broil function on my oven. Is there any other way I can roast them?

• Sommer — February 15th, 2013 @ 8:11 am

My next favorite method is on the grill. You can lay whole pepper on your grill grates and flip them around until all the sides are charred.

25. Erika @ The Hopeless Housewifeposted February 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Roasted red peppers make a dish so much brighter. Great tips.

26. marlaposted February 14, 2013 at 7:10 am

Very nice How to! I love roasted peppers!

27. Angieposted February 14, 2013 at 8:26 am

Loving these how to series!

28. Jennifer @ Mother Thymeposted February 14, 2013 at 11:22 am

I am crazy for roasted red peppers too. These are such great tips!

29. Steveposted February 14, 2013 at 11:40 am

Great Post! After the 28 inches of snow we got last Saturday this brings my mind to summer time when we grab canning jars, a bussel of red peppers and start the grill.
    Thanks

30. Diane {Created by Diane}posted February 14, 2013 at 1:50 pm

super great tips…they look yummy!

31. Mariaposted February 14, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Roasted peppers are the best! Great tips!

32. Jeanetteposted February 14, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Homemade roasted bell peppers are the best! Love them – great how to Sommer!

33. Carolynposted February 15, 2013 at 5:27 am

Love roasted red peppers! Great tutorial, Sommer.

34. Chrisposted February 15, 2013 at 3:55 pm

My favorite way to do them is on the grill, since I always have it on anyway.

What I like even more is in the summer when the local farms have a large variety of hot, sweet, and mild peppers. The smell of fresh roasting chiles is amazing and you can’t beat a fire roasted salsa.

Wouldn’t you love to have one of those chile roasters that they use in New Mexico?

35. Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchenposted February 16, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Ok, I’ve never actually cut up my peppers before roasting them, but you can fit much more on a pan and don’t have to turn them? Thanks for the tip!

36. Kevin @ Closet Cookingposted February 18, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Roasting your own red peppers is always fun and super easy. In the fall when they in season I always buy a huge huge basket of the and spend the afternoon roasting and freezing them and for use the rest of the year.

37. Brennaposted February 19, 2013 at 9:22 am

Thank you for this post! I’ve never roasted my own peppers before and now I will!

38. Shainaposted February 28, 2013 at 9:24 am

Roasted peppers are some of my favorite ingredients. I love them on sandwiches or in sauces and soups. Love!

39. Vickyposted March 5, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Thanks for the post! I just got some red peppers for super cheap at a discount grocery store and am excited to roast them! Thanks for the how-to! (I found you on pinterest and am excited to see your other how-tos!!)

40. Pingback: Roasted Red Pepper Pasta - A Cedar Spoon

41. Roseanneposted July 28, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Best way to roast peppers. Been doing it this way for years. Much easier removing seeds before roasting.

42. Pingback: Book Club: Live Fire // Blue-Cheese Stuffed Burgers and Grilled Corn with Red-Pepper Butter | Katie at the Kitchen Door

43. Jacqueliposted October 14, 2013 at 9:19 am

Thanks for this post! I just found a recipe for a great roasted red pepper soup. I have never roasted peppers myself before. Your tutorial gave me exactly what I was looking for.

44. Pingback: Chicken with Pepper Jack and Roasted Peppers Panini | carmel moments

45. Pingback: On The Side | Pearltrees

46. Pingback: How To Of The Day Round-Up: April 7-11, 2014 -

47. Pingback: Clean and Simple Black Bean Dip - Treble in the Kitchen

48. Pingback: No Matter How You Slice It | BitterSweet

49. Pingback: Broccoli & Cashew Quinoa Burrito | Kate's Kitchen

50. Pingback: The Best Trick to Make Any Meal Better in Every Way

51. Pingback: Solids Feeding Schedule: Month 3 Update - Humble in a Heartbeat

52. Pingback: yellow pepper hollandaise - Cody, Uncorked.