How to Roast Red Peppers

This weeks “How To” Tip: How To Roast Red Peppers. Roasting your own peppers is a simple way to enjoy that sweet and smoky flavor you crave!

How to Roast Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

I am crazy for roasted red peppers. CRAZY… for them.

Maybe you haven’t noticed as I’ve slyly sprinkled roasted red pepper recipes all over ASP.

Recipes like:

You don’t have to roast your own peppers for any of these recipes. In fact, at certain times of the year, jarred roasted red peppers are much less expensive and make a good substitute.

But as I mentioned in my last How To post, fresh always wins when it comes to flavor.

How to Oven Roast Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

However during pepper season, you can get all sorts of fresh peppers for a fraction of the cost.

Roasting you own red peppers is the best way to get the freshest smoky-sweet pepper flavor.

I’ve been known to roast red peppers in a variety of ways. If I’m using my grill for other dishes, I just throw whole peppers on the grill and give them a good char. If I only have one red pepper to roast, I’ll hold it over a gas burner with tongs to quickly char all the sides.

Yet the most efficient way to roast a LOT of peppers at once, is oven roasting peppers.

You don’t have to mess with turning the peppers, you simply lay them out flat and leave them in the oven until the skins are dark and blistered.

Here’s how I do it…

How to Roast Red Peppers

Roast Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppersGlass bowl from Villeroy & Boch.

Move the oven rack to the top position and preheat the oven to broil.

Cut all the peppers into quarters, then remove the stems, seeds and membranes.

Roasting Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

Lay the peppers flat on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, skin side up. Press them flat with your hand. You want as much skin as possible to be directly under the heat source, for even charring. This makes the peels easier to remove later.

Oven Roasting Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

Broil the red peppers 10-15 minutes, or until the skins are extremely black, but the flesh underneath is still soft and moist.

Oven Roasted Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

Once the skins have blackened, remove the peppers from the oven and place in a large paper bag, or zip bag. Close the bag and allow the peppers to steam for at least 10 minutes. This loosens the skin from the flesh.

How to Make Roasted Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

After the peppers have had time to steam, dump them out on the baking sheet and gently pull the skins off. If your peppers were evenly charred, the once rubbery skins should slip right off!

You can now: can, freeze, or refrigerate your oven roasted peppers. If canning, make sure to follow proper canning procedures to get a tight seal on your canning jars.

Easy Roasted Red Peppers | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #redpeppers

I usually just keep them in an air-tight container, in the fridge for up to a week. Longer if you pack them in oil.

You can roast all sort of peppers this way. Just make sure, if you are roasting thin-fleshed peppers like Anaheims, that you take them out of the oven much earlier. The thicker the pepper, the longer they can stay in the oven.

Happy Roasting!

50 Responses to “How to Roast Red Peppers”

Belinda @zomppa — February 13, 2013 @ 5:16 am

Ah…the paper bag…good step to know!!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — February 13, 2013 @ 6:35 am

Excellent How-To post, Sommer! I love the idea of roasting many peppers at once in the oven. Thank you! Pinning… xo

Rachel Cooks — February 13, 2013 @ 7:15 am

Great post! What is your favorite use for them?

• Sommer — February 13th, 2013 @ 7:36 am

Oh, definitely Roasted Red Pepper Soup!

• HausZwei — October 22nd, 2013 @ 4:25 pm

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomatoe Soup is my fave! Fresh tomatoes and fresh red peppers. to die for.

Cassie — February 13, 2013 @ 8:08 am

I love roasted red peppers but don’t make them near enough at home. I love this method, Sommer!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — February 13, 2013 @ 8:18 am

Roasted red peppers are one of my go-to ingredients. If a recipe is missing a little something, I’m probably going to add some roasted red peppers. :) Great post!

Paula - bell'alimento — February 13, 2013 @ 9:29 am

Roasted red peppers are so versatile!

Sandy — February 13, 2013 @ 9:40 am

YEAH!!! Red peppers are on sale this week three for a dollar. I will stock up and try your recipes.

a farmer in the dell — February 13, 2013 @ 10:00 am

I’m crazy for roasted red peppers too! thanks for the tips!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — February 13, 2013 @ 10:11 am

So easy — and homemade always tastes better!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — February 13, 2013 @ 10:48 am

I love roasted red peppers! Just had to peek at your spicy feta dip – it looks incredible, pinned!

Foodie Mom — February 13, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

You mentioned freezing them; how do you recommend freezing and thawing them? Also how long would they keep in the freezer?
    Thanks!!

Aggie — February 13, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

I’m a sucker for roasted peppers!! Love this Sommer!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — February 13, 2013 @ 1:48 pm

Red peppers are one of my very favorite veggies, and I love to roast them. Great tutorial, Sommer!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — February 13, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

This is such a great tutorial! I’ve never actually roasted red peppers myself (I get the jarred ones at Trader Joe’s) but I think I need to tackle this from now on!

Carol Kintigh — February 13, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

Can you tell me how you pack them in oil? Is there any trick to it, or do you just stuff them in a jar and pour oil over them? How long will they last in the refrigerator if oil packed?

• Sommer — February 15th, 2013 @ 8:09 am

Hi Carol, I just fill the jars as full as possible with peppers, then top off the jars with olive oil. Then you can “can” them, or just put them in the fridge. The oil congeals in the fridge and gives the peppers a long-lasting protective layer. They will keep for 2-3 months like that.

Julia @ A Cedar Spoon — February 13, 2013 @ 2:38 pm

This is a great post! I really like roasted red pepper and often make hummus, but have to admit a lot of times I buy the jarred roasted red peppers. I like that you just jarred your own. I am definitely going to do that and try your red pepper alioli for dipping potatoes in. Yummy.

Brian @ A Thought For Food — February 13, 2013 @ 3:07 pm

GAH! Let them steam. That’s a great tip. I am definitely going to try this.

Heather Christo — February 13, 2013 @ 4:12 pm

This is an awesome How-to- thanks Sommer!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — February 13, 2013 @ 4:26 pm

I love roasted red peppers and put them in everything! I’ll have to try your method!

Gaby — February 13, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

Love me some roasted red peppers – and doing it at home is so much better than store bought ones!

Dara — February 13, 2013 @ 6:18 pm

Fabulous! I love adding these to sandwiches and salads.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — February 13, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

Great how to! I have just recently discovered how good roasted red peppers are, now I add them to everything!

Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry — February 13, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

Roast peppers are my favorite way of eating peppers but I don’t have a broil function on my oven. Is there any other way I can roast them?

• Sommer — February 15th, 2013 @ 8:11 am

My next favorite method is on the grill. You can lay whole pepper on your grill grates and flip them around until all the sides are charred.

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — February 13, 2013 @ 9:28 pm

Roasted red peppers make a dish so much brighter. Great tips.

marla — February 14, 2013 @ 7:10 am

Very nice How to! I love roasted peppers!

Angie — February 14, 2013 @ 8:26 am

Loving these how to series!

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — February 14, 2013 @ 11:22 am

I am crazy for roasted red peppers too. These are such great tips!

Steve — February 14, 2013 @ 11:40 am

Great Post! After the 28 inches of snow we got last Saturday this brings my mind to summer time when we grab canning jars, a bussel of red peppers and start the grill.
    Thanks

Diane {Created by Diane} — February 14, 2013 @ 1:50 pm

super great tips…they look yummy!

Maria — February 14, 2013 @ 4:23 pm

Roasted peppers are the best! Great tips!

Jeanette — February 14, 2013 @ 7:26 pm

Homemade roasted bell peppers are the best! Love them – great how to Sommer!

Carolyn — February 15, 2013 @ 5:27 am

Love roasted red peppers! Great tutorial, Sommer.

Chris — February 15, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

My favorite way to do them is on the grill, since I always have it on anyway.

What I like even more is in the summer when the local farms have a large variety of hot, sweet, and mild peppers. The smell of fresh roasting chiles is amazing and you can’t beat a fire roasted salsa.

Wouldn’t you love to have one of those chile roasters that they use in New Mexico?

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen — February 16, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

Ok, I’ve never actually cut up my peppers before roasting them, but you can fit much more on a pan and don’t have to turn them? Thanks for the tip!

Kevin @ Closet Cooking — February 18, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

Roasting your own red peppers is always fun and super easy. In the fall when they in season I always buy a huge huge basket of the and spend the afternoon roasting and freezing them and for use the rest of the year.

Brenna — February 19, 2013 @ 9:22 am

Thank you for this post! I’ve never roasted my own peppers before and now I will!

Shaina — February 28, 2013 @ 9:24 am

Roasted peppers are some of my favorite ingredients. I love them on sandwiches or in sauces and soups. Love!

Vicky — March 5, 2013 @ 3:58 pm

Thanks for the post! I just got some red peppers for super cheap at a discount grocery store and am excited to roast them! Thanks for the how-to! (I found you on pinterest and am excited to see your other how-tos!!)

Roseanne — July 28, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

Best way to roast peppers. Been doing it this way for years. Much easier removing seeds before roasting.

Jacqueli — October 14, 2013 @ 9:19 am

Thanks for this post! I just found a recipe for a great roasted red pepper soup. I have never roasted peppers myself before. Your tutorial gave me exactly what I was looking for.

1. Pingback: How to Roast Red Peppers ~ Roasted Red Peppers | A Spicy Perspective | Just Food Blogs | Scoop.it

2. Pingback: Roasted Red Pepper Pasta - A Cedar Spoon

3. Pingback: Book Club: Live Fire // Blue-Cheese Stuffed Burgers and Grilled Corn with Red-Pepper Butter | Katie at the Kitchen Door

4. Pingback: Chicken with Pepper Jack and Roasted Peppers Panini | carmel moments

5. Pingback: On The Side | Pearltrees