How to Oven Roast Garlic

Oven roast garlic cloves are a flavorful addition to any dish! How to roast garlic, the easiest way possible.

How to Roast Garlic | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #garlic

There are moments in life when you find yourself in possession of massive amounts of garlic.

I’m not sure exactly how this happens…. but it happens.

Maybe you planted a load of garlic in your garden, expecting half of it to die, but instead it all flourished and is ready to harvest.

Maybe you hit the mother-of-all-sales on garlic at the farmers market and you couldn’t resist buying it up by the armful.

Maybe your vampire fearing brother-in-law came to visit over the weekend.

However you came about this garlic-overload, you’ve got to figure out what to do with it, before it dries out.

I suggest roasting it.

How to Oven Roast Garlic | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #garlic

For a few reasons:

One, oven roast garlic is so yummy, with dark roasted tones and a nutty essence.

I’m under the impression that anytime a dish is lacking flavor, it probably needs a hefty dose of garlic. Adding roasted garlic to dishes, provides a sweetness and a unique complexity, you just can’t get from regular garlic.

Two, it’s easy to keep: canned, packed in oil and refrigerated, or even in the freezer.

Three, instead of chopping it, you simply smash the tender little cloves and mix them into whatever you are cooking. I like smashing things… it’s therapeutic.

Roast garlic cloves are easy to prepare. I believe the best way to insure even roasting and rich flavor is to roast the garlic in a dutch oven.

The thick sides and lid of the dutch oven, insulate the garlic cloves, and regulate the temperature for even cooking and color.

This is how I do it…

How to Roast Garlic Cloves

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the tops off the heads of garlic, so that most (or all) of the cloves are exposed.

How to Roast Garlic Cloves | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #garlic

Place the heads of garlic in a dutch oven, cut-side-up. You can place as many as you like in the dutch oven, in a single layer. I usually roast anywhere from 3 heads up to a dozen.

How to Roast Garlic in a Dutch Oven | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #garlic

Drizzle olive oil liberally over the top of each head. Depending on how many heads of garlic you plan to roast, you may use between 1/4 – 1/2 cup of oil.

Generously sprinkle good quality sea salt (I like Celtic Makai Pure) over the tops of the garlic and pepper to taste.

How to Roast Garlic Heads | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #garlic

Place the lid on the top of the dutch oven and move it to the oven.

Roast for 35-45 minutes, until the garlic tops are golden brown.

How to Oven Roast Garlic Cloves | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #garlic

Once the oven roasted garlic is cool enough to touch, squeeze the cloves out of each head into a bowl.

You may have to peel back layers if the outer cloves weren’t exposed enough.

Roasted Garlic | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #garlic

Store in an air-tight container in the fridge until ready to use. You can also “can” or freeze the roast garlic cloves.

I like to use oven roasted garlic cloves in:  breads, soups, salad dressings, mashed potatoes… the possibilities are endless!

Oven Roasted Garlic | ASpicyPerspective.com #howto #diy #garlicSleek Modern Dinnerware from Villeroy & Boch.

37 Responses to “How to Oven Roast Garlic”

Belinda @zomppa — February 21, 2013 @ 4:58 am

Not bad problem to have..,what a great idea!

Amy — February 21, 2013 @ 7:19 am

Roasted garlic is such a flavor maker!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — February 21, 2013 @ 7:48 am

Yet another great tutorial, Sommer! This past Thanksgiving, hubby and I shot our roasted garlic tutorial. But, I never got my mashed potato recipe posted in time for the Christmas holiday with the blog launch. Will do it later this year, however. LOVE your Emile Henry dutch oven…so pretty!

Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb — February 21, 2013 @ 7:49 am

It happens that I end up with a huge load of Chinese garlic. Next time I know what I ll do with it. It’s a nice way to bring some warmth into the house with the aroma of roasted Garlic.

Brenna - Domestic Charm — February 21, 2013 @ 8:12 am

Yummy! And so many great uses for it. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Nutmeg Nanny — February 21, 2013 @ 8:19 am

Oven roasted garlic is one of my favorite foods! We used to make it all the time growing up. I would even catch my dad sneaking cloves as a snack. That man really loves his garlic!

Cassie — February 21, 2013 @ 8:23 am

There is not much that I love more than roasted garlic. I love this method!

Amber | Sprinkled With Flour — February 21, 2013 @ 8:35 am

I love roasted garlic, it adds so much great flavor to any dish. This method looks so easy and definitely something I need to try soon! Thanks! :)

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — February 21, 2013 @ 8:42 am

After they are done roasting, you pop the bulbs into your mouth and eat. haha. :) I love oven roasted garlic!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — February 21, 2013 @ 8:53 am

Roasted garlic makes me cry. The sexy kind.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — February 21, 2013 @ 9:06 am

I love roasted garlic and often times I turn it into something resembling petrified wood so I will be trying your method next time.

Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon — February 21, 2013 @ 9:57 am

Roasted garlic is one of my favorites! Love this method!

SweetSugarbelle — February 21, 2013 @ 10:09 am

I sent this to my garlic loving brother. Once YEARS ago, when he was in junior high he saw roasted garlic on food network. Anywho, he tried it and IT WENT ALL WRONG. Our house smelled like acrid burned garlic for days. Now he can finally get it right. I bet his wife will thank me, lol…so long as she eats some too =)

Don Odiorne — February 21, 2013 @ 10:21 am

Thanks for the easy tip. One of my favorite restaurants in Monterey California on the wharf, Domenico’s, serves roasted warm garlic with fresh French bread. Slather on some, it is delicious. Once roasted the garlic odor is turned down a notch and the carmelized flavor is outstanding!

Sandy @ RE — February 21, 2013 @ 10:21 am

Nice and easy! Thanks for the “how-to.” :)

Tara @ Unsophisticook — February 21, 2013 @ 10:31 am

Mmm, doesn’t get much better than warm, roasted garlic. Love that little Dutch oven!

Jeanette — February 21, 2013 @ 12:28 pm

I remember years ago when I tasted my first roasted garlic – I had no idea how easy it was to make at home. Love spreading it on bread and mixing it in mashed potatoes for extra flavor without all the fat.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — February 21, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

Mmmmm.. I could literally smell the caramelized garlic. Yummy!!

Angie — February 21, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

I do mine in tin foil in a cast iron skillet. I would love one of those little Indian garlic roasters!

Julia @ A Cedar Spoon — February 21, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

This is a great How-To! I love roasted garlic–it makes everything better.

Barbara | Creative Culinary — February 21, 2013 @ 2:21 pm

I have a post in draft on the same subject; I sometimes assume that everyone does some of these kitchen tasks that I have done so long I take for granted as basic. My daughter was my catalys; she has begged me to start doing some basics so she can send friends to my website and stop explaining over and over and over. Ah…my work apparently is NOT done! :)

Another reason and mine I admit. Buying a bag from Costco. I bring it home and roast almost half a bag immediately; by the time the fresh needs to be replenished, so does the roasted.

Beautiful photos of one of my FAVORITE things!

a farmer in the dell — February 21, 2013 @ 2:40 pm

thanks for another wonderful tutorial. I love roasted garlic almost as much as I love my husband!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — February 21, 2013 @ 3:18 pm

Roasted garlic is so addictive!

Stephanie — February 21, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

What a great “how to”. Great blog. How would you go about freezing it ?

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — February 21, 2013 @ 5:40 pm

Roasted garlic enhances so many dishes, this is a great how to post!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 21, 2013 @ 6:31 pm

Ohhhh, I love roasted garlic! Love your recipe! Thank you for sharing! So perfect drizzled on a crusty piece of bread!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet — February 21, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

I think I can smell the garlic from here. Nothing better than a house filled with the sweet aroma of garlic roasting. Great How To Sommer!!

xo
    ~H

Monet — February 21, 2013 @ 7:46 pm

I love oven-roasting garlic cloves. Makes all the difference in the world. Thank you for sharing sweet friend. I’m nursing a bit of a cold, and this post warmed me right up. I hope you are having a happy end to your week!

Carolyn — February 22, 2013 @ 7:48 am

Who doesn’t love roasted garlic! Thanks for the tips!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — February 22, 2013 @ 11:13 am

Roasted garlic is so fabulous. And so easy. Why don’t I do it more often?!?!

Marly — February 23, 2013 @ 9:01 am

I love roasted garlic – the aroma that spreads throughout the house and the flavor it adds to my dishes. Love this tutorial!

Chris — February 27, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

Doesn’t it feel like your home is just “happy” while you are roasting the garlic and the aroma fills the house? Seems that way at our house.

Elizabeth — March 1, 2013 @ 7:16 pm

I bet this smells SO wonderful!

June — April 9, 2014 @ 7:57 pm

After roasting garlic, how long can you keep it in fridge before it goes bad?

Do you have to store it in some olive oil or just as is?

Thanks!

• Sommer — April 11th, 2014 @ 5:55 am

Hi June, You can keep them for a couple weeks with no problem. Storing in oil does help them last longer.

1. Pingback: Tuesday Tip: Baked Brown Rice | Garnish with Lemon | Garnish with Lemon

2. Pingback: Food n' Focus – Roasted Garlic & Olive Focaccia