Spiced Apple Ice Cream
This homemade ice cream recipe is sooooo good with intense apple flavor from apple butter. Spiced apple ice cream is the perfect accompaniment to cookies and cakes.
Homemade ice cream recipes are something I love playing with.
When you walk down the ice cream isle at your grocery store, there are cases and cases of ice cream tubs, but not that many flavor options.
Once you get past the standard chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, butter pecan, cookies and cream, and candy bar swirl varieties, what do you really have?
Learning how to make homemade ice cream, is much easier than you might think. There’s quite a bit of waiting around involved, but other than that, it’s simply whisk-simmer-churn.
This apple ice cream is something I came up with to serve with my most recent cookie recipe, Cinnamon-Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies.
I thought, what better to go along with cinnamon and oats than intense spiced apple flavor!
I adjusted my favorite vanilla ice cream recipe to include Musselman’s Apple Butter. The richness and spice from Musselman’s Apple Butter was just the punch needed to turn this homemade ice cream recipe into something spectacular.
It’s creamy and loaded with spice and that distinct apple butter flavor that reminds us of childhood.
I am in love with this homemade ice cream recipe, and hope you will be too!
Yield: 1.5 quarts
Prep Time: 30 minutes active time
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Apple Homemade Ice Cream Recipe
Apple Ice Cream made with real apple butter.
- 4 cups half & half
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup Musselman's Apple Butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 pinches salt
- Place a sauce pot over medium heat. Add the half & half, egg yolks, Musselman's Apple Butter, sugar, vanilla and salt. Whisk well.
- Continue to whisk as the mixture warms and thickens. Bring to a low boil and remove from heat.
- Place the lid on the pot and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. *If you're in a hurry, place in the freezer for 1 hour, but stir every twenty minutes. Don't forget about it!
- Turn on the ice cream machine. Place a sieve over the top to remove any egg clumps, and pour the ice cream mixture into the frozen ice cream bowl.
- Churn for 20+ minutes until thick like soft serve ice cream. Then scoop into an airtight container and freeze to harden.
Ice Creams to Try:
Cheesecake Brownie Ice Cream ~ Journey Kitchen
Honey Almond Ice Cream ~ A Sweet Simple Life