celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

Healthy Tomato Bisque Recipe

Tomato Bisque with big flavor and very little guilt! My Healthy Tomato Bisque Recipe has a secret ingredient that might surprise you.

Healthy Tomato Bisque Recipe | A Spicy Perspective #soup #healthy

What could possibly be more comforting than a cup of creamy tomato soup on a cold rainy day?

I’ve loved tomato bisque since childhood. It’s like an edible security blanket, that warms your insides and soothes your soul.

Yet now that I’m a little more cautious about what I eat, I’ve had to revamp my Tomato Bisque Recipe. Obviously the heavy cream was the issue. Most tomato bisque recipes have 1-2 cups of cream to provide that ultra silky texture.

My secret weapon for omitting, or at least decreasing, heavy cream in creamy soups is… white beans.

Healthy Tomato Bisque | A Spicy Perspective #healthy #soup

That’s right.

I add white beans to the Healthy Tomato Bisque Recipe while it’s simmering to absorb flavor, then puree the soup once cooked. The starch in the beans creates a wonderfully creamy texture without all the added fat. (I used this trick here as well as here.)

Now to be fully honest, the soup isn’t quite as smooth as a soup with loads of cream, and it doesn’t have the same sheen. But it’s pretty darn close, considering all the calories and saturated fat you omit.

For this Healthy Tomato Bisque Recipe, the white beans did a superb job of creating the right thickness, then I added just a touch of heavy cream at the end to give it that extra touch of indulgence. (You could leave it out, if you prefer.)

That way, you can enjoy your comforting bowl of creamy tomato bisque without any hesitation.

Healthy Creamy Tomato Soup | A SpicyPerspective #soup #healthy

You can even enjoy two bowls!

Healthy Tomato Bisque Recipe

Yield: 6 servings

Prep Time:5 minutes

Cook Time:25 minutes

A lower fat version of the classic creamy tomato basil soup.

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 28 ounces can diced or crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
  • 32 ounces chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
  • 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • Salt and pepper

1. Place the butter, onions and garlic in a large sauce pot over medium-low heat. Saute for 5-8 minutes to soften. Stir occasionally.
  2. Then add the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil leaves, chicken stock, beans, and crushed red pepper. Turn the heat up to medium-high and simmer for 20 minutes, stir occasionally.
  3. Turn off the heat. Using an immersion blender, puree the the soup until completely smooth. Taste and salt and pepper as needed.
  4. Then add the cream and stir to combine.
  5. Serve as is, or pour through a sieve for an even finer creamy texture.

Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!

You May Also Like...

44 Responses to “Healthy Tomato Bisque Recipe”

1. Jeanetteposted January 14, 2013 at 6:49 am

I love your clever idea of using white beans to add creaminess without the fat and calories – great way to add protein too!

2. Leslieposted January 14, 2013 at 7:21 am

beans? very clever!!!! Love it.
    I bet using fat free evaporated milk would work too.

3. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggiesposted January 14, 2013 at 7:21 am

Tomato bisque is one of my husband’s favorites. Maybe I’ll make this lighter version instead and see if he can tell the difference! :)

4. Carolynposted January 14, 2013 at 7:42 am

Looks fantastic, Sommer. I love healthy, hearty soups like this.

5. shelly (cookies and cups)posted January 14, 2013 at 7:53 am

Love that you used beans as the thickener! SO smart!

6. Kevin @ Closet Cookingposted January 14, 2013 at 8:05 am

You can’t go wrong with tomato soup and I always like using beans to make a soup nice and creamy!

7. Julie @ Table for Twoposted January 14, 2013 at 8:29 am

I love tomato bisque but they’re always so unhealthy! I just LOVE that you created a healthier version of it! I won’t feel so guilty after all ;)

8. Jenny Flakeposted January 14, 2013 at 8:34 am

One of my favorite soups of all time! Love that you created a healthier option for us!

9. Bev @ Bev Cooksposted January 14, 2013 at 8:52 am

I want to slurp my life away in that.

10. claire @ the realistic nutritionistposted January 14, 2013 at 8:56 am

This is looks great! One of my favorite soups, and I’m so happy you made it lighter!

11. Aimee @ Simple Bitesposted January 14, 2013 at 9:11 am

So smart! We love beans around here. I suspect the addition to the soup gives great texture and flavor. Great recipe, Sommer!

12. Cassie | Bake Your Dayposted January 14, 2013 at 9:20 am

Beans – what a great idea! We love tomato soup too, must-try this one!

13. RavieNomNomsposted January 14, 2013 at 9:33 am

YUM! Perfect for the cold winter months!

14. Roxana | Roxana's Home Bakingposted January 14, 2013 at 10:43 am

Such a brilliant delicious idea to add the beans! Perfect for the rainy cold days we’re dealing with!

15. Laura (Tutti Dolci)posted January 14, 2013 at 10:44 am

Oh, love your trick to lighten this up, tomato bisque is one of my faves!

16. marlaposted January 14, 2013 at 10:53 am

Such a lovely winter soup!!!

17. naomiposted January 14, 2013 at 10:59 am

I’m all about soup right now, so bookmarked!

18. Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidenceposted January 14, 2013 at 11:59 am

Very inventive! I think I would add some toasted whole wheat croutons on top :)

19. Gabyposted January 14, 2013 at 1:23 pm

love the idea of adding in white beans v cream!!

20. Shea Goldsteinposted January 14, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Pinning! Love the beans in this!!

21. Sandy @ REposted January 14, 2013 at 1:57 pm

It’s a soup day for everyone today! LOL I love tomato soup and bisque!

22. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppersposted January 14, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Yum! I love tomato soup and I love that you added beans to it!! Fabulous recipe!!

23. a farmer in the dellposted January 14, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I have been using the white bean trick too! It’s amazing! This soup sounds fantastic.

24. Juliaposted January 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I love tomato bisque soup! What a wonderful idea to add white beans in–I never would have thought of that. I am always looking for ways to add a healthier twist to my meals/soups-thanks!

25. Aimee @ ShugarySweetsposted January 14, 2013 at 8:34 pm

This looks gorgeous and I’m sure it tastes delicious. We love tomato bisque around here, can’t wait to try your version!

26. Jennifer @ Mother Thymeposted January 14, 2013 at 8:50 pm

What a beautiful soup! I love your idea of adding white beans in place of cream.

27. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchenposted January 14, 2013 at 10:45 pm

It is so smart to add beans! I absolutely love it!

28. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchenposted January 15, 2013 at 2:03 am

Smart substitution and a nice addition of fiber too!

29. Erika @ The Hopeless Housewifeposted January 15, 2013 at 7:57 am

The beans really step up the heartiness of this soup, very nice.

30. Rochelleposted January 15, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I’ve tried many tomato soup recipes over the years… But none with beans! What a great idea. I’ll be trying this one next. Thanks!

31. Paula - bell'alimentoposted January 15, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I love a good bisque!

32. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabblesposted January 15, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Your tomato bisque sounds awesome – I love the addition of beans! I’ve been craving tomato bisque like crazy lately, and have been enjoying every last delicious spoonful!

33. Shainaposted January 15, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Gorgeous soup. I love that you lightened it up a bit.

34. roscannonposted January 16, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I’ve never had a tomato soup that I’ve enjoyed. However, being both a glutton (for punishment) and a lover of tomatoes, I keep trying. I made this dish tonight, following your recipe to the letter. D E L I C I O U S. Thank you, very very much!

35. Megan Pence @ Wanna be a Country Cleaverposted January 16, 2013 at 9:59 pm

This is just gorgeous. And who doesn’t love a good tomato bisque – without all the extra guilt?! Fantastic for those resolutions that are usually so hard to keep!

36. Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted January 17, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Love the lighter twist of beans in here!

37. Tara @ Unsophisticookposted January 17, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Love a good homemade tomato soup!

38. Averie @ Averie Cooksposted January 21, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Loving this soup! I made some Creamy Tomato Basil in December and just remade it and I almost never re-make things :)

I love your new site! I am on Lindsay’s list and have another couple months to wait but your makeover looks amazing.

39. Pingback: Creamy Broccoli Tahini Soup - Dairy Free Vegan Soup

40. Pingback: Tomato Bisque | Capturing Culinary

41. Pingback: Gluten Free Fall Meals | I Do

42. Kim Fordposted January 27, 2014 at 2:46 pm

love this soup, thank you!
    How long would you say leftovers last in the refrigerator?

• Sommer — January 27th, 2014 @ 3:47 pm

Hi Kim, I’d say at least a week. :)

43. Pamela Priestposted February 9, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I just made this tonight. I used basil paste instead.
    Both my husband and I thought it was fantastic!
    This one goes in my recipe favorites.