Fresh Strawberry Bars

Like Lemon Bars? Then you’ve got to try these Strawberry Bars made with pureed fresh strawberries.

Strawberry Bars made with Fresh Strawberries! #valentinesday #spring #barrecipe

Pin It

I’ve never been much of a girlie-girl.

Growing up with two older brothers, it was play-rough or don’t play at all. There are family stories of backyard mud fights, bike races down construction-site dirt piles, and broken limbs.

I have an older sister who taught me how to apply makeup and bat my eyelashes, but she is quite a bit older, and moved away before my formative years.

So most of the time it was me and a brother… and his friends.

Scary, right?

Even so, something in me yearns for pink.

A pearly pink bag or phone case makes me giddy with delight. …Maybe I’m reverting as I age.

But most of all, I simply adore pink food.

If it’s pink, I want to eat it. I even disregard my normal label reading in order to indulge in pink edibles without care of consequence.

Fresh Strawberry Bars #valentinesday #spring #barrecipe

Pink makes me happy.

So today I offer you the quintessential pink food, fresh strawberries. (Yeah, I know they’re more red than pink. Just play along…)

Recently, I pulled out my favorite lemon bar recipe to make an afternoon treat for the kids. When I opened the fridge to collect the ingredients, I noticed I had two pints of fresh strawberries that were begging to be used.

This was a light bulb moment.

What if I used pureed fresh strawberries instead of lemon juice? Fresh Strawberry Bars?

Why yes, that did sound like a good idea!

So I placed a few handfuls of fresh strawberries into the blender. Then I substituted the liquefied fresh strawberries, in my lemon bar recipe (with a few other adjustments,) placed them in the oven, and crossed my fingers.

Low and behold, the PINK Strawberry Bars were a success!

Easy Strawberry Bars made with Fresh Strawberries! #valentinesday #spring #barrecipeDinnerware from Villeroy & Boch.

Strawberry bars have quickly become a family favorite. They are so moist and creamy with a bright fresh flavor. Just the treat to serve on Valentines Day, the official holiday for pink food.

Plus, these strawberry bars are so easy to make, my 8 and 10 year old(s) can make them all by themselves.

I will certainly be serving strawberry bars for Valentines Day this year–we may have to make strawberry bars on Super Bowl Sunday as well.

Think the boys would mind a pink treat?

Yield: 15 squares

Strawberry Bars

For the Crust:

• 1 stick unsalted butter, softened (1/2 cup)
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar + extra for garnish
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup flour

For the Strawberry Custard:

• 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 cup pureed fresh strawberries (6-12 berries, depending on size) + extra for garnish
  • 2 Tb. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2-3 drops red food coloring to enhance the color, if desired.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8X11 inch bar pan with parchment paper. Press the corners to smooth out crinkled edges.
  2. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, then add the salt the flour. Mix until the dough just comes together. Dump the dough into the prepared pan. Press evenly across the bottom. Bake for 15 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, puree the strawberries in a blender. Add the egg yolks, condensed milk, lemon juice, food coloring, and salt to the liquified strawberries, and pulse to blend.
  4. Pour the strawberry mixture over the warm crust and return to the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the center is soft, but set. Cool to room temperature. Then cover and chill for at least 3 hours.
  5. To serve: Lift the paper edges, taking the whole strawberry bar sheet out of the pan. Peel back the edges of the paper, then trim the rough edges of the strawberry bars. Cut into 15 squares. Dust with powdered sugar and top each square with a slice of fresh strawberry.

MORE PINK TREATS:

Pink Bubble Gum Ice Cream

Pistachio Cupcakes with Pink Champagne Frosting

Mini Strawberry Malt Cheesecakes

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies ~ Sally’s Baking Addiction

Dark Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Soda Floats ~ How Sweet It Is

Pink Velvet Roulade ~ Sprinkle Bakes

63 Responses to “Fresh Strawberry Bars”

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — January 30, 2013 @ 6:43 am

So pretty Sommer! I hear ya on the girlie girl. I had 3 brothers growing up. Wouldn’t you know that I ended up having 3 girls (and one boy) of my own. Opposite of my mom! Needless to say my girlie girls would love this! And my boy too :)

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — January 30, 2013 @ 7:09 am

Sommer, your pink Fresh Strawberry Bars look simply divine! Here’s to your inner girlie-girl coming out!

shelly (cookies and cups) — January 30, 2013 @ 7:21 am

These look fantastic! Sweetened condensed milk and strawberries? Yes please!

Heather @ Heather's Dish — January 30, 2013 @ 7:29 am

Oh Sommer. Oh my goodness! Lemon bars are literally my favorite dessert ever, but they may just have a competitor now!

Kevin @ Closet Cooking — January 30, 2013 @ 7:55 am

Those strawberry bars look so good! I could go for a few for breakfast right now!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — January 30, 2013 @ 8:09 am

That color is pretty awesome… perfect for Valentine’s Day!

Susan 30A EATS — January 30, 2013 @ 8:09 am

I love strawberries and the bars look magical!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — January 30, 2013 @ 8:24 am

LIKE lemon bars? I looooove lemon bars. And I’m sure I would love these too–they are beautiful!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — January 30, 2013 @ 8:29 am

This is GENIUS, Sommer! I love anything baked with strawberries so these are seriously calling my name.

Lisa | With Style and Grace — January 30, 2013 @ 8:30 am

These are so sweet!!

DessertForTwo — January 30, 2013 @ 8:45 am

How gorgeous! I love these pretty pink bars!

Leslie — January 30, 2013 @ 8:50 am

I’m not really a girly girl either. I sooooo want to love makeup and be in my element in Sephora….But I just can’t :(
    Love these bars!

Cassie — January 30, 2013 @ 8:50 am

I have always been a fan of lemon bars but have never thought to make strawberry bars and the idea is fantastic. They look incredible!

Lauren — January 30, 2013 @ 8:53 am

Yummmmmy! I just bought a bunch of strawberries at Costco too…now I know what I’m doing with them! :)

marla — January 30, 2013 @ 8:58 am

Sommer, these bars look great!! So pretty too.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — January 30, 2013 @ 9:00 am

love these! I am putting this on my Facebook page

Aimee @ Simple Bites — January 30, 2013 @ 9:04 am

Really creative! I’m a big fan of lemon bars, so I’ll be giving these a try just as soon as we start getting some local berries!

a farmer in the dell — January 30, 2013 @ 9:54 am

I have a weakness for lemon bars. These sound so different and refreshing! I am dying for strawberry season!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — January 30, 2013 @ 9:55 am

I hated pink until I had my girls — then I couldn’t get enough of it!

Gaby — January 30, 2013 @ 9:57 am

looks so gorgeous and perfect for a little sweet nibble this Valentines Day!

Julie @ Table for Two — January 30, 2013 @ 10:05 am

I feel you! I was never much of a girly girl either when I was younger. I always went for blue or other colors. I hated pink for a very long time until probably college when I was all things bright colors lol – i love the bars and the bright red/pink shade that they give off. Perfect treat for Valentine’s!!

Maria — January 30, 2013 @ 10:20 am

So pretty!!

Cookin Canuck — January 30, 2013 @ 11:05 am

Your post hit a chord with me. I’ve never been a girlie-girl either, but lately I’ve been drawn to pink and now find myself wearing a pink jacket while carrying my pink daytimer and drinking out of my pink water bottle. I think I need some of these pretty pink bars to complete the picture. Great recipe, Sommer!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — January 30, 2013 @ 12:10 pm

I love strawberry bars, these are so pretty!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — January 30, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

Gorgeous! I love the color of the custard and the strawberries on top. Abeautiful shade of pink :) I’m thinking I would drizzle these with a little balsamic reduction.

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — January 30, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

ah-mazing!!! can’t wait to make these!

Toni | Boulder Locavore — January 30, 2013 @ 1:36 pm

I am totally with you on pink desserts! I’m unsure what it is but there is something so happy-making about them. These look and sound delicious Sommer.

Barbara | Creative Culinary — January 30, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

I can SO identify! King of the Hill, bike races, flashlight tag…those made up the games I played with my brothers and their friends. But my color was purple and that doesn’t translate so well to food, so pink it is! I’ve done something similar with raspberries but now desperately yearning for spring, strawberries and these bars!

Colette — January 30, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

These are a lovely take on the usual lemon bars!

Paula - bell'alimento — January 30, 2013 @ 2:32 pm

I am a sucker for lemon bars so I know I’d love this.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — January 30, 2013 @ 4:00 pm

I have to say you have the best light bulb moments! Strawberries are my favorite and I will be trying these very soon!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 30, 2013 @ 4:53 pm

These are so gorgeous! Love this idea!

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — January 30, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

So pretty and I love the pink!

Liz — January 30, 2013 @ 9:08 pm

Love these Sommer – makes me think of summertime and sunshine :)

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — January 30, 2013 @ 9:49 pm

Lemon bars are one of my favorite baked sweets. These are so beautiful. I’ve never been a pink person, either, but as of this past year, you can actually find some pink in my closet! ;)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — January 30, 2013 @ 11:48 pm

I love these so much! Strawberries are just so perfect so I know these bars must be delish!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — January 31, 2013 @ 7:23 am

Fresh strawberries? my gosh you’re killing me! These look like they could beat the lemon bar any day, which says a lot considering I adore lemon bars! I think you scored with this one and my bf will be thanking you because he loves fruity desserts!!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — January 31, 2013 @ 8:07 am

I love when a good idea turns out delicious! These are so pretty Sommer!

Angie — January 31, 2013 @ 10:05 am

I love that it’s strawberry season here! We;re going strawberry picking Saturday, and I’ll have to try this!

sonia — January 31, 2013 @ 11:33 am

Hi There, All these pictures of bars are looking gorgeous and I am craving to have a bite too:) Wonderful and appetizing dishes at galore. Have a wonderful week. Look forward to your next post. Take care !
    Regards, Sonia

Marly — January 31, 2013 @ 11:35 am

You know what Shakespeare says – Sweets for the sweet!

Danijela — January 31, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

This is genious. Simple to make and yummy – my favorite. Thanks for the recipe, I will have to stop by your blog more often. :)

ashley - baker by nature — January 31, 2013 @ 7:20 pm

Well these are just too cute! I grew up with brothers, too, so I know how nice a little pink can make you feel ;)

Marian (Sweetopia) — January 31, 2013 @ 9:14 pm

I’m with you on the pink food :) and these look amazing!

Shannon — January 31, 2013 @ 10:13 pm

It sounded like a great idea and it just so happened that I had all the ingredients, so I made these yesterday. Unfortunately they were disappointing, mostly because they had too weak of a strawberry flavor. I’m glad I at least tried them, though.

• Sommer — February 1st, 2013 @ 12:51 am

Really? I’m sorry to hear your were disappointed. I wonder of your strawberries were ripe….

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — February 1, 2013 @ 7:39 am

YAY! They are natural! That means I can make them. Thank you, thank you, thank you for not using some funky ingredients in these bars! :D

Oh and of course, they look awesome. :)

Jeanette — February 1, 2013 @ 7:59 am

What a fun switch up from Lemon Bars Sommer – love that your kids can make this all by themselves!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — February 1, 2013 @ 8:57 am

These are gorgeous Sommer!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 1, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

Wow, these look crazy good! Love a little punch of strawberry in the middle of winter… I am SO ready for spring, and these pretty bars are calling my name!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — February 2, 2013 @ 9:13 am

These look wonderful, Sommer!

Katie@Cozydelicious — February 3, 2013 @ 11:09 am

Oooh, these are so pretty! I love anything pink – I am such a girly girl! But I think these bars must be a real crowd pleaser, even for boys!

Jogalog — February 3, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

These are so pretty – they’d be perfect for Valentine’s Day.

Russell van Kraayenburg — February 4, 2013 @ 11:36 am

Ooh! I love these. I am definitely trying these soon.

Shaina — February 9, 2013 @ 10:23 am

Fantastic festive food for the day of love.

leanne VanRemortel — May 20, 2013 @ 11:19 am

This recipe looks amazing. I was just curious, what size can of sweetened condensed milk do you use? Thanks!

Kristin @ Kit's Crafts — July 21, 2013 @ 11:48 pm

These bars were AMAZING! Don’t kid yourself thinking you will only eat one. Plan on eating at least two if not the whole pan. Seriously.

Fausto — March 5, 2014 @ 2:55 pm

Hi, I would like to subscribe for this weblog to
    obtain newest updates, therefore where can i do it please help out.

1. Pingback: Healthy Living | Pearltrees

2. Pingback: Villeroy & Boch Blog Recpe: Strawberry Bars for Valentine's Day — Villeroy & Boch Blog

3. Pingback: 60 AMAZING Strawberry Recipes | FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking

4. Pingback: 50 MUST MAKE strawberry recipes — Roxana's Home Baking

5. Pingback: Postres dulces y saludables que te ayudan a mantenerte en forma este verano - Mamiverse