Caramelized Onion Dip

Creamy Onion Dip loaded with caramelized onions and bacon! This onion dip recipe is easy to make and puts store-bought onion dip to shame.

Caramelized Onion Dip | A Spicy Perspective #superbowl #gameday #oniondip

Pin It

Something I love so deeply about children, is how they tattle on themselves.

At least the honest ones do.

I noticed this years ago during my days of teaching third graders, and I now see it in my own kids.

Is it an innate knowing of what is right and wrong, or firm parenting, that causes them to fess up? I have no idea.

Caramelized Onions | A Spicy Perspective #superbowl #gameday #oniondip

They may not have enough self control to completely stop an offensive behavior. Yet once they’ve done it, regret hunts them down like a hungry wolf, until they can’t bare to keep the naughtiness to themselves any longer.

They MUST tell.

Come to think of it, my dog does this as well. He will pick up a dirty sock (something that is strictly forbidden) and carry it to me with his head hanging down. He sheepishly shows me the socks in his mouth and waits for his scolding.

Making Caramelized Onion Dip | A Spicy Perspective #superbowl #gameday #oniondip

Whether child or retriever, I find this a beautiful and endearing quality.

It’s a beginning stage of true maturity:  learning to own-up to your mistakes.

We’ve all met that adult who never learned this lesson. Bad things always happen to them; nothing is ever their fault….

Watching little children timidly come forward with the details of their shortcomings, should be a lesson to us all.

Homemade Caramelized Onion Dip | A Spicy Perspective #superbowl #gameday #oniondip

So now it’s my turn to tattle on myself. Ready?

Onion dip is a huge weakness of mine. Huge.

If I had a bag of potato chips and a tub of onion dip sitting it front of me, I would not be able to stop eating it. Not until the entire bag was empty, the tub was scraped clean, and my face was covered with crumbs and shame.

It’s not a pretty picture.

Caramelized Onion Dip Recipe | A Spicy Perspective #superbowl #gameday #oniondip

I’ve tried to break this onion dip addiction and failed. So I figure, if I’m going to disgrace myself by consuming ridiculous amounts of onion dip, it might as well be a really, really, REALLY good onion dip recipe.

Introducing Caramelized Onion Dip!

I sauteed the onions in bacon grease, until they reached a deep color with saturated sweetness. Then mixed them with cream cheese, sour cream, herbs and spices. Then I sprinkle the bacon over the top for added crunch.

This heavenly combination is ultra rich, savory-sweet, and loaded with flavor. It’s perfect for dipping potato chips, or veggies if you are trying to behave yourself.

Onion Dip | A Spicy Perspective #superbowl #gameday #oniondip

This caramelized onion dip recipe also happens to be Gluten Free. You can find more great party recipes on the Udi’s Gluten Free Community Page.

Last Confession of the Day: I may or may not have eaten the entire bowl of this caramelized onion dip recipe, and I may or may not feel sorry about it.

Yield: 3 cups

Onion Dip Recipe

Rich creamy caramelized onion dip.

• 2 strips thick cut bacon, chopped
  • 2 large onions, peeled, quartered, and sliced thin
  • 1 Tb. fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2-3 dashes cayenne pepper
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 Tb. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tb. honey

1. In a large skillet, saute the bacon over medium heat, until crispy. Remove the bacon and lower the heat to medium-low.
  2. Add the onions, thyme, salt and cayenne to the skillet and saute for 10-12 minutes, until dark, but not burnt. Stir occasionally.
  3. Once dark, remove the onions from the heat to cool. Place the cream cheese, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, and honey in a food processor. Puree until smooth.
  4. Mix the onions into the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with the reserved bacon pieces and serve with chips or cut veggies.

53 Responses to “Caramelized Onion Dip”

Cassie — January 23, 2013 @ 6:43 am

Drooling over this, Sommer! I love onion dip and caramelized onions are my favorite!

DessertForTwo — January 23, 2013 @ 6:55 am

This is definitely one of my weaknesses, too! Dessert I can resist, salty snacks? Not so much. I love your homemade version!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — January 23, 2013 @ 7:01 am

Sommer, I ADORE onion dip and have since I was little. I love this spin…with the sweetness coming from both the caramelized onions and honey as well as the smokiness from the chopped fried bacon and some savory heat from the herb (thyme), Worcestershire and cayenne. Could become extremely addicting. I’m just fessing up, LOL. A winning recipe!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — January 23, 2013 @ 7:06 am

We love onion dip and this looks perfect!

shelly (cookies and cups) — January 23, 2013 @ 7:57 am

I love onion dip! And I’m not an onion girl…don’t know how that works! This looks delicious!

Katie — January 23, 2013 @ 8:30 am

I too have a weakness for Onion Dip. It was the only thing I craved when I was pregnant. I didnt know at the time that you could make it from scratch. I was living in London and there were no box of Lipton Soup French Onion mix to make it with. My sister came to visit and I asked her to bring me a box! She brought the plain Onion Soup, no little bits of dried onions. I mixed it up and burst into tears! Dont you just LOVE pregnancy hormones. Months later after the birth of my daughter and when the craving was gone I stumbled on a recipe for grilling onions on a bbq and making the dip. IT has been my go to party dip for summer for 10 years!

I will be trying this one as my go to winter dip! Thank you!!!!!!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — January 23, 2013 @ 9:03 am

I love dip! And add caramelized onions AND bacon….I think I’m in love. And now I know what I’m brining to my friend’s Superbowl party next weekend!!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — January 23, 2013 @ 9:05 am

I made a similiar dip and ate it all in one sitting. I wish I was kidding. Looks gorgeous Sommer!!

Jessica — January 23, 2013 @ 9:22 am

Wow – this looks amazing! I love how elegant this is for an onion dip recipe. Just in time for the Super Bowl – will have to try it!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — January 23, 2013 @ 9:30 am

okay, you just made caramelized onion dip even better w/ BACON!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — January 23, 2013 @ 9:48 am

I am the same way with onion dip. Oh, it is so good. And I bet it’s even better with caramelized onions!

Julia @ A Cedar Spoon — January 23, 2013 @ 10:05 am

Perfect for the Super Bowl! It will be a hit in my house (especially with that bacon thrown in!) :)

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — January 23, 2013 @ 10:17 am

I have a huge weakness for onion dip too. This looks incredible and something that definitely would not last long in my house.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — January 23, 2013 @ 10:53 am

Caramelized onions are one of my most favorite things, ever. Love this dip!

Morgan — January 23, 2013 @ 11:11 am

There is nothing I love more than a pan of caramelized onions. And when mixed with creamy sour cream and bacon?! Sounds like a perfect combination in culinary heaven.

Liz — January 23, 2013 @ 11:11 am

This sound amazing Sommer! Love caramelized onions…so in a dip would be perfect!

Vij (Spices And Aroma) — January 23, 2013 @ 11:15 am

This is my first time here Sommer. I am so glad that I stumbled upon your blog. We love onion dips and this recipe sounds so divine to me. I am going to make this for the next game night.

a farmer in the dell — January 23, 2013 @ 11:23 am

I am a sucker for onion dip. It’s been far too long since I have made any. Your recipe sounds delicious. I laughed out loud when you talked about your dog “tattling” on himself. my dog does the same thing. :)

Aggie — January 23, 2013 @ 11:45 am

Goodness gracious just plop me down with a bowl of this and a bag of chips. I’ll be one happy girl.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — January 23, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

So true! My niece is always tattling on herself. It’s the cutest thing ever!

Oh and this dip – yeah I really this in my life, even after football season is over.

Amy Tong — January 23, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

Oh wow. What a gorgeous dip packed with wonderful flavors and ingredients! I don’t blame you for the addiction on this. Gosh…I better go fix myself a bowl of this heavenly goodness!

Bonnie K — January 23, 2013 @ 1:58 pm

My whole family have a weakness for onion dip. I love this version, with no added junk. I will definitely make this.

katie — January 23, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

I just recently made a caramelized onion dip recipe; however, i think i already like yours better because it has bacon and because the onions are cooked in the bacon fat!

Anita at Hungry Couple — January 23, 2013 @ 2:17 pm

I can resist store bought onion dip but I have a feeling I wouldn’t be so strong around your homemade version. :)

Colette @ JFF! — January 23, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

Get Pop Chips.
    WAY less guilt and they’re irresistible!

• Sommer — January 24th, 2013 @ 12:18 pm

Ooo, those ARE good!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 23, 2013 @ 3:36 pm

I hear you, a good dip and a plate of chips are dangerous near me too!

Sandy @ RE — January 23, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

Yummy! Getting ready for z-big Super Bowl! :)

Angie — January 23, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

What a great game day food! Yummy!

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — January 23, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

This sounds delightful, Sommer! I’m drooling :) Hope you’re having a wonderful week so far!

HUGS <3

JulieD — January 23, 2013 @ 3:56 pm

Looks so good!!

Paula - bell'alimento — January 23, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

You had me at caramelized onions. Who needs a packet when you can make this!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — January 23, 2013 @ 5:00 pm

I love a good caramelized onion dip. The bacon takes it over the top!! Yum!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — January 23, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

Onion dip is at the top of the list of favorite dips at our house, I must try this!

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — January 23, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

Onion dip is truly impossible to resist and the fact that you added bacon, well I have to have it now!

Tara @ Unsophisticook — January 23, 2013 @ 9:30 pm

This would make my tummy very happy — my thighs not so much, LOL. That wouldn’t stop me though!

Belinda @zomppa — January 23, 2013 @ 10:24 pm

It is rather endearing, isn’t it? Don’t you wish everyone was more mischievously innocent like that? I too have a weakness for dip!

Jeanette — January 23, 2013 @ 10:25 pm

This is a dangerously good looking dip Sommer! I’m almost afraid to make it ;) although my kids would thank me for it.

Carolyn — January 24, 2013 @ 6:11 am

I have so many weaknesses like this, I am not sure where to start! But I could just start with a spoonful of your onion dip…

Kelli Williams — January 24, 2013 @ 8:19 am

Oh gosh this looks so delicious! This will be served at my bunco party!!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — January 24, 2013 @ 8:31 am

I could totally tattle on myself about onion dip and chips, too. I simply cannot have it in the house very much, because I can’t help myself. This looks delish, Sommer!

• Sommer — January 24th, 2013 @ 12:17 pm

I know… Maybe we need an intervention. ;)

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen — January 24, 2013 @ 9:47 am

This is the only kind of dip recipe that ever tempts me to eat potato chips. It’s an unbeatable combination, so one without the other just doesn’t work does it? It looks scrumptious!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — January 24, 2013 @ 10:16 am

I could eat that straight up. No lie.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — January 24, 2013 @ 12:23 pm

Oh my goodness, this looks so yummy Sommer! I LOVE onion dip but hardly ever make it… that’s gotta change!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — January 24, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

Well, I can’t think of a better addition to onion dip than a bunch of bacon. Yeah, it looks pretty awesome.

Monet — January 24, 2013 @ 6:51 pm

Hi sweet friend. Onion dip is a huge weakness of mine too (especially now that I’m pregnant!) This recipe looks absolutely tantalizing. I wish I had a bowl beside me now! Thank you for sharing.

Chris — January 25, 2013 @ 2:15 pm

Such a cute visual of your dog. Cats on the other hand, have no sense of right/wrong. Ours will do something and look you dead in the face, as if to say, “What?!”

This onion dip looks amazing, Sommer. It makes those gelatinous ones that come in a tub from the dairy aisle look soooooooo sad.

Shaina — January 25, 2013 @ 10:09 pm

Mm-hmm. And how. This sounds so good right now. I suddenly have the late night munchies.

Kristina — January 26, 2013 @ 6:24 pm

confession – when I make a batch of caramelized onion dip (the one I have is baked, THIS ONE will be made next time!), I always fill a small ramekin and hide it in the back of the fridge – just for me.

I have always loved onion dip, I can imagine the flavors with the potato chip now… I cannot wait to try this!

• Sommer — January 27th, 2013 @ 5:20 am

Kristina, Haha! That is a BRILLIANT idea. :)

Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama — February 3, 2013 @ 2:54 pm

This dip sounds amazing!! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

I also wanted to let you know that I featured you on my blog today!

1. Pingback: Bourbon Caramelized Onion Dip | intoxicating eats