celebrate in simple style with:

Brilliant Bundt Cakes

buy now!

How to Cut a Pomegranate

How to Cut a Pomegranate - Tutorial on ASpicyPerspective.com What’s the best method of dealing with a pomegranate? Those tricky little pomegranate seeds can be hard to get out! Let me show you how to cut a pomegranate

How to open a pomegranate

Today is the start of a new “How To” series, that is a long time coming.

There are many little kitchen tricks I use on a daily basis, that shorten my cooking time and improve my kitchen experience over all. I’ve been meaning to share these with you in separate posts (to make them easy to find) for two… ahem, maybe three years now.

Sorry. Better late than never, I always say.

I realize many of you are kitchen savants and need no additional instruction from me. You just pop by for weekly dinner ideas.

Yet many of you are new to cooking, and when I tell you the preparation time for a recipe is 10 minutes, it takes you 25. Don’t be frustrated with yourself; we all started that way. Hopefully these weekly tips will help speed up your preparation time and relieve little cooking stresses.

I’ll be discussing everything from chopping to dealing with hard-to-handle produce.

Like today!

Let’s talk about how to cut a pomegranate and extract the pomegranate seeds. The actual term for pomegranate seeds is pomegranate arils. So if you want to sound fancy, call them arils.

I’ve seen (and tried) all sorts of methods for opening a pomegranate, from rolling the pomegranate, to beating it with a wooden spoon.

The method of how to cut a pomegranate, that I find to be the best (meaning it yields the most unsquashed/uncut pomegranate seeds, with the fewest splatter stains) is this…

How to Cut a Pomegranate

Cut the pomegranate just through the skin around the entire pomegranate, not all the way to the center. You’ll feel the give when you get through the skin. Cutting all the way to the center just ruins a line of arils.

How to Cut a Pomegranate

Repeat in the opposite direction to make 4 equal sections.

Gently pull the sections apart.

How to cut a pomegranate and remove the seeds

One at a time, submerge the pomegranate sections in a deep bowl of water. Rub your thumb over the arils to loosen them.

The arils will sink to the bottom and the white flesh will float, making it easy to skim. Submerging the pomegranate sections in water also eliminates red juice splatter on your clothes.

How to extract pomegranate arils

Scoop off the white debris, drain the pomegranate seeds, and dry on a paper towel.

Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container until ready to serve.

How Tos for Pomegranate Seeds (Arils)

You May Also Like...

44 Responses to “How to Cut a Pomegranate”

1. Brian @ A Thought For Foodposted January 16, 2013 at 7:53 am

I was so happy to learn this technique a few years ago. It’s the only way to get the seeds out without making a mess.

2. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabblesposted January 16, 2013 at 8:13 am

This totally works. It’s how I do it too, after Mom shared this technique with me a couple years ago. I’m looking forward to your new series, Sommer, yay!

3. Kristi Rimkusposted January 16, 2013 at 8:27 am

I always make a mess when I cut open a pomegranate. Thanks for the tip!

4. Julia @ A Cedar Spoonposted January 16, 2013 at 8:34 am

I love this tutorial. I am a big fan of POM seeds and they are a pain to get out and I always get red juice everywhere. I am going to save this for the next time I buy one- thanks so much!

5. Jenny Flakeposted January 16, 2013 at 8:36 am

Love this Sommer!

6. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggiesposted January 16, 2013 at 9:11 am

I love how-to posts! I look forward to pomegranates every fall, but then I buy them and they sit in the fridge for weeks because I’m too lazy to get the seeds out. :)

7. ernoposted January 16, 2013 at 9:19 am

Oh, I love this and I can’t wait to see what you do next! I’m not a big fan of pomegranates. I tried them once this year and found them very sour for too much work. I don’t think it was ripe enough. It’s always good to try something new.

8. claire @ the realistic nutritionistposted January 16, 2013 at 9:37 am

I hate cutting them, b/c their juices always coat me when I do it. so thank you for this heads up!! :)

9. Heidi @foodiecrushposted January 16, 2013 at 9:41 am

I’ve used this method before and sometimes I’ll turn the pomegranate upside down (after slicing) and whack the peel gently with a heavy wooden spoon and the little nuggets of joy jump right out. Great new blog redesign as well, congrats!

10. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchenposted January 16, 2013 at 10:30 am

I just recently tried this and it really works! We love pomegranates.

11. a farmer in the dellposted January 16, 2013 at 10:46 am

I have never been able to properly cut open a pomegranate. Thanks for the tutorial!

12. Jeanetteposted January 16, 2013 at 11:10 am

I love the tip about putting the pomegranate in water!

13. Robyn | Add a Pinchposted January 16, 2013 at 11:13 am

Love this post, Sommer.

14. Christine (Cook the Story)posted January 16, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I bet you’re right that this results in less spatter and fewer bruised seeds. BUT I kinda like the release of whopping pomegranates with a wooden spoon. In fact, I look forward to it! I wonder what that says about me…

15. iGurmanposted January 16, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I also like Pomegranate. :-)

16. Pingback: How to Cut a Pomegranate | A Spicy Perspective | LibertyE Global Renaissance | Scoop.it

17. Erika @ The Hopeless Housewifeposted January 16, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Pomegranates are so great from savory dishes to sweet and this is such a great tip!

18. Amandaposted January 16, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Seriously genius!!

19. Lorettaposted January 16, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Great post Sommer! No more excuses, right? Can’t wait to see your other tips and tricks.

20. Patsyposted January 16, 2013 at 2:45 pm

if you immerse the entire scored pomegranite in the water and break it apart while submerged there is NO splatter whatsoever.

21. Cassieposted January 16, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I love pomegranates! And I love how-to posts. I love how bright your photos are!

22. Aggieposted January 16, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Learning this trick was a game changer for me – love pomegranates!

23. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.posted January 16, 2013 at 6:45 pm

this looks amazing!

24. Kimby | a little lunchposted January 16, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Glad to hear you’re doing a “how to” series, Sommer — it’s never too late!

25. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchenposted January 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Such excellent tips, Sommer! My method is very similar, but I’ve never used the nifty bowl of water trick. Thank you. …Pinning!

26. Sandy @ REposted January 16, 2013 at 8:23 pm

How’d you know I always wondered? HA. Great post, my friend!

27. Amyposted January 16, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I am looking forward to your “how to” series posts!

28. Laura (Tutti Dolci)posted January 17, 2013 at 12:02 am

I tried this method last year and it worked like a charm!

29. vianneyposted January 17, 2013 at 12:25 am

Great new series! And good tips!

30. Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted January 17, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Awesome tutorial! I’ve never actually cut a pomegranate myself so this will come in very handy!

31. Carolynposted January 17, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I know I’ve seen this technique before, but I always forget it. Thanks for the reminder!

32. Julia {The Roasted Root}posted January 17, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Certainly wish I had seen this post ages ago..Can’t even tell you how much time I’ve invested in picking individual pomegranate seeds out! Great trick!

33. Tara @ Unsophisticookposted January 18, 2013 at 8:44 am

I totally needed this right now — have two pomegranates sitting in my refrigerator!

34. Leslieposted January 18, 2013 at 9:12 am

Yep. Thats the best way. Before I knew about the water trick, I would use my fingers. My cuticles would turn green….weird!

35. Chrissyposted January 18, 2013 at 2:39 pm

This is what we do and it works great everytime!

36. Paula - bell'alimentoposted January 18, 2013 at 2:52 pm

This is the only way to do it without having to re-paint your kitchen ; )

37. Angieposted January 19, 2013 at 6:30 am

I only use this trick too, works wonders!

38. Susan 30A EATSposted January 21, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Thanks!! I needed that! Great info!

39. Pingback: Country Cleaver How Tuesday - How to Roast Garlic » Country Cleaver

40. Shainaposted January 25, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I open these and hand the wedges to the kids. It is a great way to keep their hands busy. Those arils looks so plump and perfect!

41. SweetSugarbelleposted January 26, 2013 at 2:27 pm

My son is sooooooooooooooo intrigued with this. HE makes me pull it up every time we cut a pomegranate. We’d picked up a brochure in the store, and it got tossed. This post saved the sat!

42. Johnposted August 22, 2013 at 12:13 am

Now to start cooking with Pomegranate. Something I’ve not tried before, must find some good recipes!

43. Pingback: Pomegranate Spinach Salad with Cinnamon Maple Vinaigrette - This Pilgrim Life

44. Pingback: Little Pomegranate Dessert Cups