Duck Confit Salad

An elegant and easy dinner salad with duck confit! Perfect for serving to that special someone on upcoming holidays involving hearts and chocolates…

Duck Confit Salad | A Spicy Perspective #salad #valentinesday

Pin It

Most of us hear the term duck confit and immediately think of something pompous and hard to make.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Duck Confit is an old-school French preparation for duck, invented back before the days of refrigeration. Cooking the duck in its own fat and storing it in the fat, sealed the duck meat, eliminating the need to keep it cool.

Duck Confit Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette | A Spicy Perspective #salad #valentinesdayModern dishes from Villeroy & Boch.

Nowadays, you can make easy duck confit by placing a whole duck, or just the legs and thighs, in a crock-pot and slow cooking it until it falls apart.

Then simply remove the bones, shred the meat, and store it in an air-tight container, in the fridge, until ready to serve. Although this method was created to store at room temperature, I personally wouldn’t risk it.

Duck Confit is rich with a deep meaty essence. It gives run-of-the-mill dishes that extra touch of elegance and is handy to have around. Shredded duck meat is marvelous in:  risotto, stews, street tacos, rice dishes, and today I’m serving it cold on salad.

Easy Duck Confit Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette | A Spicy Perspective #salad #valentinesday

I love preparing rich foods with ingredients that are bright and tangy, to provide a pop of contrast.

Here I’ve paired luxurious duck confit and creamy avocado, with pomegranate arils and zippy cranberry vinaigrette.

The combined flavors offer something truly special. Plus this Duck Confit Salad is so easy to make, it could be a quick mid-week meal, or the first course of a fancy candlelight dinner.

Bon Appetit!

Yield: 4 servings

Duck Confit Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette

• 8 cups mixed salad greens
  • 1 1/3 cups shredded duck confit
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 1 pomegranate
  • 3 Tb. cranberry preserves
  • 1 Tb. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Salt and Pepper

1. Cut the avocado into small chunks and remove the pomegranate arils.
  2. Arrange the salad greens on 4 plates. Then top each pile of greens with 1/3 cup duck confit, avocado chunks and a sprinkling of pomegranate arils.
  3. Whisk the cranberry preserves with the vinegar and oil. Then salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the top and serve.

More Duck Recipes:

Seared Duck Breast with Blackberry Pan Sauce

Duck Confit Tacos ~ Gastography

Duck Confit with Onion and Bean Soup ~ Gourmet Traveler

32 Responses to “Duck Confit Salad”

Julie @ Table for Two — January 18, 2013 @ 7:30 am

You totally just called me out on thinking duck confit was a pompous dish >.< I'm glad to see that the preparation is simple (the crockpot is my lover!) and the flavors are phenomenal! What a great salad to have and even better one to prepare for a loved one for a romantic evening :)

Marian (Sweetopia) — January 18, 2013 @ 7:38 am

Such a gorgeous dish! I need to make this! :)

Jenny Flake — January 18, 2013 @ 8:21 am

What a colorful gorgeous salad! Craving it at 6am, lol!

DessertForTwo — January 18, 2013 @ 8:22 am

SO easy! SO delicious! I must make this! Thanks for the inspiration, Sommer! :)

Tara @ Unsophisticook — January 18, 2013 @ 8:30 am

This is so beautiful with the pomegranate!

Kevin @ Closet Cooking — January 18, 2013 @ 8:40 am

This sounds like one tasty salad! I am loving the colours!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — January 18, 2013 @ 8:52 am

Oh gosh. My heart hurts for this.

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — January 18, 2013 @ 9:25 am

This is gorgeous and I love this cranberry vinaigrette!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — January 18, 2013 @ 9:26 am

Duck is one of my faves and I’ve actually never made it at home! I definitely had it in my head that it was too hard to make. I’d love to try your method for the shredded duck confit – did you just put in in a crock? Salad looks delicious and look at those pretty pomegranate seeds!

Gaby — January 18, 2013 @ 10:37 am

Oh what I would give to come over and eat this with you right now!!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — January 18, 2013 @ 11:07 am

What a fabulous use of duck!! I’m always a little weary to use it, I have no clue why. Perfect pairing with pom seeds!

marla — January 18, 2013 @ 11:19 am

Such an elegant salad Sommer!! Have a great weekend :)

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — January 18, 2013 @ 11:41 am

Woah. I LOVE all of the flavors going on in this dish! Like, seriously LOVE. You’re totally going to change my mind on eating salads during the winter. OK, fine, on eating salads at all. This is just BRILLIANT!!

a farmer in the dell — January 18, 2013 @ 11:51 am

I love duck confit! It is one of my favorite things to order out. However, I have always thought it was super hard to make. You just made me feel silly! this looks easy and doable. I want a bite of that salad now!

Sandy @ RE — January 18, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

Beautiful. One of my favorite salads, but I’ve never made it myself! Fun idea for V-Day!

Ashley - baker by nature — January 18, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

Whoa, mama! This looks insanely fancy, and yet, I think I could pull this off! On it goes to my “gotta make it” list! Seriously gorgeous shots, too!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 18, 2013 @ 2:20 pm

What a great salad!!

Paula - bell'alimento — January 18, 2013 @ 3:03 pm

you said the magic words: duck. confit. swoon.

Cassie — January 18, 2013 @ 3:40 pm

This is brilliant! I love the pomegranates!

Cookin Canuck — January 18, 2013 @ 4:55 pm

Your site is looking so beautiful, Sommer. Great re-design! And the duck confit salad? I wouldn’t be able to resist eating every bite of it.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — January 18, 2013 @ 5:25 pm

Beautiful salad, I love the cranberry vinaigrette!

Carolyn — January 18, 2013 @ 7:42 pm

If I lived closer to you, I have a feeling we would be very good friends. I love duck!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — January 18, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

Wow, it really IS easy! This is so beautiful, Sommer!

Belinda @zomppa — January 19, 2013 @ 5:55 am

So fancy! Live the combination of avocado and pomegranate

love cooking — January 19, 2013 @ 6:33 am

I am not sure I can find duck confit around my area, probably need to try to make it myself or maybe will try to use roast duck or smoked duck instead. I like dressing a bit sweet, may try to add some honey. This salad definitely looks gorgeous. :)

Angie — January 19, 2013 @ 6:40 am

Looks so good, I love duck!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — January 21, 2013 @ 2:30 am

Gorgeous! This is definitely my type of salad – so easy yet so fancy!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — January 25, 2013 @ 11:11 pm

This is just gorgeous and I wouldn’t have thought about cooking a duck in the crockpot!

Food Lover — January 30, 2013 @ 6:36 pm

WOW this salad looks so yummy and healthy :) thank you for sharing the recipe!

Carole — April 11, 2013 @ 5:25 pm

Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is collecting links to dishes using duck or other game birds. I do hope you link this in. This is the link . It would be great if you checked out some of the other links – there are some good ones already. Cheers

1. Pingback: Recipe: Duck Confit Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette — Villeroy & Boch Blog

2. Pingback: The Month of Duck | Lara's Wanderings