Crispy Baked Chicken
This baked “fried chicken” recipe has been a will-power saver for years. When you are craving something deep-fried and crunchy, it’s crispy baked chicken to the rescue.
So… You’ve only been dieting for eleven days and already you’re craving fried chicken.
You probably haven’t had fried chicken for months, maybe years, but now that it’s officially off limits, it’s all you can think about.
You lay in bed at night with a pinch in your stomach and crispy little drumsticks dancing in your head.
Happens to me All. The. Time.
I can’t remember the first time I made “healthy” fried chicken, but I’m pretty sure it was right after the first time I discovered I needed to shed a few pounds.
That must have been 20+ years ago. Jeeeeeze!
This crispy baked chicken recipe has come in handy on many occasions. It’s an easy meal that comes together in minutes and the potential serving methods are endless.
I often serve crispy baked chicken over salads, yet even there, think of the options: Crispy Buffalo Chicken Salad, Crispy Baked Chicken Taco Salad, Baked “Fried Chicken” over Southern Slaw, Baked Chicken Cutlets over Field Greens with Fresh Berries and Goat Cheese…. I could go on.
I like to prepare baked chicken cutlets instead of whole chicken breasts for two reasons:
1. They cook faster.
2. Cutlets offer automatic portion control.
One cutlet is essentially half a large chicken breast, so they satisfy a craving and keep the calories on the down-low.
Also try using this healthy fried chicken recipe in lettuce wraps!
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Crispy Baked Chicken
A healthy "fried chicken" recipe, baked in the oven.
- 2 pounds chicken cutlets (usually 8 cutlets)
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, (1 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Move one oven rack to a low position. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line and baking sheet with foil. Spray the foil liberally with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Set out two medium bowls. In one bowl, mix the mayo, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In the other bowl, mix the panko, parmesan cheese and thyme.
- Place the chicken cutlets in the mayo mixture and toss to coat. Then one at a time, press each cutlet into the panko mixture on both sides to coat. Lay on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the lower part of the oven for 15 minutes. (Cooking low in the oven helps the bottoms to crisp up.)
- If the tops haven't browned, move the baking sheet to a higher rack and turn on the broiler on for 1 minute. Watch to make sure they don't burn. Serve warm.
Love our recipes? Subscribe via email, so you never miss one!
We respect your email box and privacy. Only one email is sent per week, and we never share/sell our email list. Join us below, to get a weekly recipe update + a free downloadable ebook with our top 25 most popular recipes!
SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email + Our FREE eCookbook Top 25 Recipes!