Sweet and Spicy Beef Nachos
This beef nachos recipe is loaded with savory goodness, including a slow cooker chili con carne with a secret ingredient. Sweet and Spicy Beef Nachos will be a hit on game day!
If there was a game-day food I just couldn’t live without, it would have to be beef nachos. Crispy corn chips holding up an enormous pile of warm spicy beef and melting cheese, with cool tomatoes, avocado and cilantro sprinkled about.
I could eat beef nachos any night of the week, but am particularly fond of it for football parties.
Have I ever told you about the escapade that takes place in our house during football season?
Well, let me start by saying Lt. Dan grew up in South Bend, Indiana and is a die-hard Notre Dame fan.
Our first couple years of marriage, I used to worry about his mental health when he watched Notre Dame football games. The ranting, screaming, bouncing and pacing, was something I had never witnessed before–even growing up in a home with two older brothers.
I used to keep a sharp eye on him every game day, to make sure I didn’t need to have him tested for some sort of psychiatric disorder related to football.
Over time, I got used to his blustery reactions during football season and eventually we bought a house with a detached garage that has become his “man room.”
Nowadays, I can scoot him out to the man room for football games, and all is peaceful in the house.
Since his big game (Notre Dame vs. Alabama) has come and gone and he has had time to morn the loss, Super Bowl Sunday should be pretty mild around here.
I’m sure there will still be a little ranting and pacing, but nothing I can’t handle!
Beef Nachos is the perfect snack to serve at your Super Bowl Party. Whether you’re roaring with victory or wallowing in defeat, this sweet and spicy slow-cooker chili con carne is a comfort to anyone with football fever.
I love slow cooker recipes like this, because you can dump everything in the crock-pot and walk away for several hours. Later when you are ready to serve your guests, it only takes a few minutes to pull the nachos together.
My slow cooker chili con carne has a secret ingredient that really makes it sing… Musselman’s Apple Butter.
You wouldn’t believe the depth of flavor apple butter provides to this savory dish. The unexpected touch of sweetness balances the spicy heat of the sauce and creates a beautiful platform for all the fresh cool toppings.
Musselman’s Apple Butter is a great go-to ingredient for all sorts of dishes such as meatballs, yeast rolls, and hot wings! I love having a jar on-hand; you never know what run-of-the-mill dish might benefit from a dose of rich apple butter flavor.
Yield: 10 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Beef Nachos with Slow Cooker Chili Con Carne
Sweet and Spicy Beef Nachos with a pop of rich apple butter to offset the spice!
For the Slow Cooker Chili Con Carne:
- 2-2 1/2 lbs. beef chuck roast
- 15 oz. can (jar) red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup Musselman's Apple Butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
For the Beef Nachos:
- Slow Cooker Chili Con Carne
- 1 lb. bag tortilla chips
- 3 cups shredded "Mexican style" cheese blend
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 ripe avocado chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Pour the enchilada sauce and apple butter in a crock-pot. Place the beef roast in it, followed by sliced onions, garlic, salt and red pepper. Cover and turn the crock-pot on high for 4-5 hours, until the beef is falling apart.
- Using two forks, shred the beef roast into the sauce, and leave on warm until ready to serve.
- For the Beef Nachos: Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Arrange the tortilla chips on a large rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle half the cheese over the top and bake for 3-5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Scoop the chili con carne over the chips, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the hot beef. Top with any additional toppings and serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Musselman’s, all opinions are my own.
Get a FREE GIFT when you SUBSCRIBE to receive new posts by email:
54 Responses to “Sweet and Spicy Beef Nachos”
Pingback: Unfriendly Weather « A Tasty Life
Pingback: 15 Recipes for Spicy Food Lovers