No holiday cookie platter would be complete without a killer shortbread cookie recipe. This simple Pistachio Chocolate Shortbread Cookie Recipe is sure to be a new family favorite!
So many Christmas cookies, so little time.
Today’s Pistachio Chocolate Shortbread Cookies are my very last cookie to share before Christmas.
Sniff, sniff. I know. If only we had a few more weeks…
The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, hosted by Julie and Lindsay, is an annual holiday event in which food bloggers send a box of their favorite cookies to several other bloggers and receive cookies in return. Then we all post our recipes on the same day (today) for one Cookie-tastic Recipe Swap!
This year’s cookie swap is extra special because every blogger made a donation to Cookies For Kids Cancer, an organization committed to fighting pediatric cancer, and OXO has generously offered to match all donations.
Ten years ago, I lost my little niece to cancer right before the holidays, and our family has never quite recovered. This cause is near and dear to my heart and I’m honored to play a small part. Learn more about how you can help fight against pediatric cancer here.
For my last cookie recipe of the season, I felt it was necessary to go with Pistachio Chocolate Shortbread Cookies. Every holiday cookie exchange should have at least one good shortbread cookie recipe in the mix.
Of all the cookies I’ve made this season, these Pistachio Chocolate Shortbread Cookies were Lt. Dan and my little guy’s favorite. They loved the crisp texture, the rich bits of dark chocolate speckled throughout, and the nutty green pistachios.
This pistachio chocolate shortbread cookie recipe is subtle at first taste, yet the earthy flavors work their way to the forefront, so much so, that you can’t stop eating them.
They are fantastic with coffee or hot chocolate and are sturdy enough to ship.
Thank you Lindsay and Julie for hosting such a fun and meaningful event, and thanks to the new friends who sent me cookies!
Peppermint Swirl Cookie Pops from Wanda of My Sweet Zepol
Almond Kiss Cookies from Selena of Nom Nom Crunch
and Chocolate Caramel Cookies from an Unknown Source
To see all the cookie recipes, follow #fbcookieswap on Twitter or the GFBCS Facebook Page.
Pistachio-Chocolate Shortbread Cookie Recipe
Yield: 50-55 cookies
Prep Time:30 minutes active time
Cook Time:20 minutes
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teapoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 2/3 cup chopped shelled pistachios
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy--3-5 minutes. (Don't skimp on the time--this make a big difference in texture.)
- Add the vanilla and salt and mix in. Then slowly add the flour until just combined. Mix in the chocolate and pistachios.
- Dump the dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Press into a disk, then wrap well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. Break the dough in half, leaving half in the fridge.
- Flour a work surface and roll out half the dough until 1/4 inch thick. Using a 2-3 inch cookie cutter, cut out the cookies very close together. Then gather the remaining dough, re-roll and cut again. Every time you roll out the dough it gets tougher, so try to cut as many from the first roll as possible. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes and cool on the cookie sheets 2-3 minutes, before moving to a cooling rack.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!