Mini Cheese Balls in Fillo Shells
We all could use a few crowd-pleasing party snack ideas this time of year, and this Mini Cheese Ball Recipe served in crispy little fillo shells is fun to serve and even more fun to eat!
Cheese balls, the quintessential holiday party snack.
I could probably count on one hand the times I’ve been to a Christmas party and the Cheese Ball was not represented.
After all, what’s not to love about a big ball of soft cheese rolled in nuts?
If a good cheese ball recipe is your thing, I am going to make you supremely happy today by offering you itty-bitty, cherry stuffed, white cheddar, cheese balls rolled in pistachios.
These teeny-weeny cheese balls are the perfect finger food, each with a soft savory interior and a crunchy exterior to keep your fingers clean.
The base of this cheese balls recipe is equal parts shredded white cheddar and cream cheese. It’s then mixed with lemon zest, herbs and spices, and a little punch of cherry flavor from tart dried cherries. The cherries provide color, sweetness, and a touch of holiday flair without over powering the cheesy essence.
After rolling the cheese balls in a nutty coating, this mini cheese balls recipe is perfected by pressing each ball into it’s own crunchy fillo (phyllo) shell.
Crackers-shmackers, who needs ‘em.
In fact, Athens Mini Fillo Shells are a great choice for holiday party snacks because they are fully baked and ready to fill, so you can open the box and use them immediately.
Plus they make all your party nibbles look so cute!
You should also know Athens Mini Fillo Shells:
- Can be baked for hot appetizers
- Are great with sweet or savory fillings
- Are healthier than loading up of crackers and bread
- And are CUTE.
Did I mention how cute they are? I just love cute food…
The mini fillo shells hold each tiny cheese ball like a pearl of holiday cheer and provide crunchy contrast, to boot.
Make sure to check it out!
Total Time: 20 minutes
Mini Cheese Ball Recipe in Fillo Shells
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 8 oz. shredded white cheddar
- Zest of 1 lemon 1 Tb. fresh chopped thyme leaves (1 tsp. dried)
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup chopped pistachios (or 1/2 cup pistachios + 1/2 cup chopped cooked bacon)
- 3 boxes Athens Mini Fillo Shells
- Place both cheeses in the food processor and puree until smooth. Add the lemon zest, thyme, cayenne, and cherries and pulse until the cherries are chopped and evenly distributed.
- Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the pistachios (and bacon) in small bowls. Scoop a 2 tsp. portion of cheese mixture into your hands and roll into a smooth ball. Then place the ball in the pistachios and gently shake until the ball is covered with nuts. Press the cheese ball into a mini fillo shell and place on a platter. Repeat with the remaining cheese mixture.
- If making ahead, cover the platter well and refrigerate until ready to serve. Can be made 1-2 days ahead.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Athens Foods. All opinions are, of course, my own.
Get a FREE GIFT when you SUBSCRIBE to receive new posts by email: