Green Bean Mushroom Tart with Blue Cheese

This savory tart kicks old green bean casserole to the curb! Green Bean Mushroom Tart, loaded with fresh green beans, sauteed crimini mushrooms, crispy shallots, and blue cheese will be the talk of the table this Thanksgiving!

Green Bean Mushroom Tart - AKA Green Bean Casserole Tart | ASpicyPerspective.com #thanksgiving #holidays #recipe Pin It

Heads Up Email Subscribers:  I’ve got so many great recipes to share with you this holiday season, I’m going to sneak in a few extras in November and December.

Generally I post 3 times a week. Yet through the end of the year, there may be weeks I squeeze in 4-5 posts, just to make sure you have plenty of tasty holiday options! That means extra mail in your inbox–sorry about that. I hope they will come as welcomed tantalizing surprises you can serve through the season. We’ll go back to a relaxed pace in January.

And if needed, we’ll all go on a diet together. *wink*

Green Bean Mushroom Tart - A Savory Tart for the Holidays | ASpicyPerspective.com #thanksgiving #holidays #recipe

Hard-Knocks and Gratitude.

November is the official month to be thankful.

I try to live in a place of gratitude. Some days are easier than others, but I don’t believe you can have true joy, if you aren’t grateful for the people, simple pleasures, and opportunities around you.

Sometimes, it takes a little reminiscing on the hard times, to see clearly all the blessing in your life.

…To see how far you’ve come.

We love living in Asheville, but to be honest, it hasn’t been easy the last few years. I tell you this, not for sympathy, but to emphasize that we all go through hard times. Every one of us. It’s our perspective that determines how we handle the hard-knocks.

Just a few little hiccups along the road:

• We moved 14 hours away from family while I was pregnant. No friends. No support system.
  • Lt. Dan’s first job here offered great incentives, but we never ever saw each other, because he worked 90+ hours a week.
  • The crashing economy ate our lunch, big time.
  • A trusted friend turned out to be a manipulative scoundrel.
  • We went through a series of life-altering events including working/living apart for several months, complete career changes, and a head-on collision last spring.

Even still, there are so many things to be thankful for, if we don’t wallow in self-pity:

• Our family is healthy.
  • Our marriage has grown stronger through the hard times.
  • Our babies are full of life and laughter.
  • Deep friendships have formed that have helped heal the hurt of past betrayal.
  • Having to rethink your life and start fresh, causes you to dream again.
  • Even the birth of this blog has brought me so much joy… and hopefully joy to you as well.

I am very grateful.

For the little daily blessings.

For the journey, be it ever so bumpy.

For the humbled perspective.

For refreshed faith.

Sometimes you have to stop on the path, and look back at the murk behind you, to find contentment. Let’s all take time this month to see our life in a new light and be thankful for it.

Thankfulness = Happiness.

Green Bean Mushroom Tart - A Savory Tart Version of Green Bean Casserole | ASpicyPerspective.com #thanksgiving #holidays #recipe

This savory tart is a play off an old classic Thanksgiving side-dish, green bean casserole.

Green bean casserole is alright, but on Thanksgiving I want every dish to be spectacular.

As mentioned above, life has caused me to rethink a lot things in the last few years, and now I do it to everything.

Here is my “rethunk” version of green bean casserole.

A visually pleasing savory tart with tender blanched green beans, topped with earthy mushrooms, crunchy shallots and creamy blue cheese. All the traditional elements of  a green bean casserole are respectfully represented improved upon, if I do say so myself.

Not only does this easy green bean mushroom tart add color and texture to your Thanksgiving table, it tastes like heaven!

Yield: 8 servings

Green Bean Mushroom Tart

A Savory Tart that takes the place of old green bean casserole.

1 sheet of thawed puff pastry
1 egg
3/4 lb. thin green beans, trimmed
3 Tb. butter, divided
8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced thin
1 clove garlic, minced
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 shallots, peeled and sliced thin
2 oz. crumbled blue cheese
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Blanch the green beans in boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Drain and place in cold water to cool. Then set on a paper towel to dry.

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and the thyme and saute for 3-5 minutes. Then add the garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Saute another 2-3 minutes and remove from skillet and pull out the thyme sprigs.

Add the remaining butter to the skillet with the sliced shallots. Saute until golden-brown and crispy, 5-8 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut the puff pastry down the middle and place both pieces 3-4 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Whisk the egg with a tablespoon of water, and brush the pastry sheets with egg. Neatly layer green beans down the length of each puff pastry rectangle.

On both puff pastry sheets, top the green beans with mushrooms, crumbled blue cheese, and crispy onions. Salt and Pepper lightly.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges are golden.

Serve warm or room temperature.

More Thanksgiving Dishes:

Slow Cooker Apple Butter Yeast Rolls

Apple and Celery Root Gratin

Apple Cider Turkey Gravy

Mashed Purple Sweet Potatoes ~ Spoon Fork Bacon

Guinness Gravy ~ Food For My Family

Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pies ~ Oh My Veggies

Slow Cooker Cinnamon Apple Sauce ~ Baked By Rachel

53 Responses to “Green Bean Mushroom Tart with Blue Cheese”

Jeanette — November 8, 2012 @ 7:58 am

What a beautiful, thoughtful post Sommer – I do believe the hiccups and challenges we face along the way in life make us stronger and help shape and mold who we are. Life is never boring and we never stop learning. Your tart is beautiful and I’d love that over green bean casserole anytime!

• Sommer — November 8th, 2012 @ 5:54 pm

Thanks Jeanette, You just went through a big challenge with “Sandy” and managed o stay so positive. I love that!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — November 8, 2012 @ 7:59 am

Looks awesome, my friend… I’ve never thought to do a green bean tart… the mushrooms, I love!

Anita at Hungry Couple — November 8, 2012 @ 8:04 am

Much classier than the traditional green been casserole…which I don’t like or cook. And a nice round up of life’s experiences. There’s sadness and joy and hope and disappointment. For me, it’s all bearable knowing I’m not along in the world. Mr. Hungry Couple and I will endure against the world and with it. Happy Thanksgiving.

• Sommer — November 8th, 2012 @ 5:51 pm

Anita, I know exactly what you mean. :)

Bev @ Bev Cooks — November 8, 2012 @ 8:45 am

This is seriously the most gorgeous tart ever. I’m totally dying.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — November 8, 2012 @ 9:04 am

Love how versatile puff pastry is – last year I made a sweet potato tart with it and then used the leftover pastry for some cookies. This looks delicious!

Carolyn — November 8, 2012 @ 9:06 am

I am grateful you write such great recipes! :)

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — November 8, 2012 @ 9:20 am

LOVE this!! My family lives for the traditional dish, but I would keep this one all. to. my. self.

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — November 8, 2012 @ 9:42 am

I love this green bean tart! Definitely another options besides green bean casserole!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — November 8, 2012 @ 9:48 am

Ahhh, this looks amazing! I am going to make this for sure! I totally love green bean casserole (canned soup and all), but this takes it to another, delicious-er (sure it’s a word!) level. :D

Diane (createdbydiane) — November 8, 2012 @ 10:02 am

oh my goodness I want to trade what I’m having for breakfast to that!!! YUM! This will take over as the new green bean dish for Thanksgiving for sure!!

Juls — November 8, 2012 @ 10:20 am

I try to add a new spin on a traditional item each year, not to replace the standards, but to enhance and grow our menu! This is one I’m going to try, one to send to my husbands family (he and his children will go to his family and I will go to mine) and one for my family table as well. I think the prep time on this will work well with my jalepeno bourbon cranberries!

Aly — November 8, 2012 @ 11:00 am

It looks so beautiful and way better than the casserole. I’m not a blue cheese fan, so maybe I can substitute another cheese? I need to find a reason to make this!

• Sommer — November 8th, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

Of course! What about goat cheese?

Paula - bell'alimento — November 8, 2012 @ 11:05 am

I love a good tart! Just made a mushroom tart myself love the addition of green beans!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — November 8, 2012 @ 1:50 pm

A beautiful tart and a beautiful post! Gratitude is so important!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — November 8, 2012 @ 2:23 pm

I’m okay with more emails from you– thanks for giving me more tasty recipes!

• Sommer — November 8th, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

Thanks Elizabeth! I just want to be sensitive to the inbox. :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — November 8, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

I love your post today, well I love it everyday! It’s so wonderful how you are greatful and see the bright side of things!

I love that you kicked the old green bean casserole to the curb, thisis WAY better!

Paula — November 8, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

Wow!This recipe looks amazing! Thank you so much. I was looking for a different and nice recipe for a friends meeting dinner and this IS IT! And thank you for the big effort you make everytime you send us your amazing recipes. I love to get your emails and posts. I’m also a very positive person and I agree with you. We have to be thankful for everything we have. :-)

• Sommer — November 8th, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

Paula, Thanks for the kind words! I thoroughly enjoy creating recipes and sharing them with friends. It is a true labor of love. HUGS!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — November 8, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

This is such a nice post. It’s always nice to step back and remember to be thankful! I adore this tart too!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — November 8, 2012 @ 5:42 pm

oh wow! This looks gorgeous

Sandy @ RE — November 8, 2012 @ 6:07 pm

I love this. I could make now, I have all those ingredients. Yipity Skipity!

Abby — November 8, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

Such a heart warming post, everyone faces challenges – it’s just what you with them that matters. Love your positive attitude and this gorgeous tart!

Delishhh — November 8, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

What a nice post! Love the tart. How do you have time to post 4-5 times a week during the holiday season?? I need to get some time management advice from you!

colleen @ foodietots — November 8, 2012 @ 11:15 pm

This is gorgeous! I do green beans with almonds and blue cheese, but this sounds even better. I don’t think I can wait till Thanksgiving to try it!

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — November 8, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

Dearest Sommer, Beautiful thoughts! Thank you for sharing with us :) And your tart looks absolutely mouth-watering!!!

BIG HUGS <3

Lori Lynn — November 9, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

Hi Sommer – our cooking group is doing a make-over of the green bean casserole this month. Your tart is an inspiration. Awesome gourmet upgrade using the basic ingredients! So glad to find this post. I’m still formulating my makeover…
    LL

• Sommer — November 10th, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

Hey Lori, I’d love to hear what you come up with…

Cookin' Canuck — November 9, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

That is one tempting-looking tart, Sommer! What a perfect addition to the Thanksgiving table!

Erica — November 10, 2012 @ 1:50 am

Tried it: sooooo good! Thanks for the recipe :)

• Sommer — November 10th, 2012 @ 1:29 pm

Oh Erica, Thanks for coming back and telling me you made it. So happy you liked it!! :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 10, 2012 @ 2:06 am

Green bean casserole is so out this year because I am making this! And thanks for reminding me to be thankful of all the great things in life :)

Kathy - Panini Happy — November 12, 2012 @ 12:34 am

Oooh…so pretty, Sommer!!

Jen L | Tartine and Apron Strings — November 12, 2012 @ 9:56 am

First off, this tart looks soooo pretty! I’d want to frame your photos in my kitchen right now! Secondly, my family went through some similar ordeals from 2007-2009: we bought a house far from everyone we knew, we intended to renovate but the contractor stole pretty much all our money (all this time I was pregnant with baby no.2), we were in financial ruin (and still are feeling its repercussions), we went through a whole lot of marital strain. But today, we have risen from the ashes – our marriage is stronger, we now have 3 beautiful children whom we love. Every day, I am grateful that the human spirit can triumph through a whole lot of messes! I’m glad we’re all fine today :) Now, let’s have a slice of that tart!

Nancy Long — November 12, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

What a beautiful post – I’ve been going through a bit of depression myself and this was very uplifting. Hubby right now works, eats, sleeps and that is our life. Plus he has to have a biopsy on a tumor this month. Right now we don’t have a life, but know that it will get better. It always does. Ah, the roller coaster of life. Glad your life is looking up.

Cannot wait to make this tart. It may not wait until Thanksgiving.

Bonnie Banters — November 13, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

Kinda like green bean casserole as an appetizer (but tons better!)!

You’re right: we all have our ups and downs, but we can stop and count our blessings on Thanksgiving!

Rachael — November 16, 2012 @ 9:30 am

This looks SO GOOD. I think I’d swap asparagus since I’m not a huge green bean fan, but I love, love, love the idea of mixing in mushrooms and blue cheese (two of my all-time favorite foods). Thanks for a wonderful inspiration and a sweet reminder to count our blessings. :)

Vivian — November 30, 2012 @ 4:15 pm

I can’t believe you live in Asheville!! We were there this summer and I fell in love with it. Can’t wait to go back!!! :) great recipe too, can’t wait to make it for my family!! I’m so grateful for YOU!

• Sommer — November 30th, 2012 @ 5:25 pm

Awe Vivian, Thanks so much! We love it here–it’s so lush and green. I can’t wait to hear what you think about the tart!

Sarah — July 25, 2013 @ 7:15 am

A beautiful tart and a beautiful post! Gratitude is so important! soooo fantastic dish of green bean mushroom tart with blue cheese, thanks for ur great idea! I had featured u in the post of 7 Killer Ideas of Main Dish – Which One You Prefer on AllFreshRecipes,looking forward to ur newly posts!

Liz (@Leave a happy plate) — September 19, 2013 @ 6:24 am

Just found this on Huff post! Looks amazing – can’t wait to try it :)

Amanda — October 8, 2013 @ 6:49 am

This looks fantastic…my hubby will adore it!!!

Franchesca_S. — January 1, 2014 @ 12:05 pm

This does look delicious. I don’t know about the fat content in puff pastry (I’m guessing high) but with pizza dough this would also be a low fat healthy dish. Nice job.

1. Pingback: 32 Scrumptious Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes | Kitchen Treaty

2. Pingback: Split Pea Soup Recipe Blog

3. Pingback: Green Bean-Mushroom Tart with Crispy Shallots and Blue Cheese | windykitchen

4. Pingback: 7 Killer ideas of main dish—Which one you prefer? - All Fresh Recipes

5. Pingback: 15 Best Vegetarian Mushrooms Recipes

6. Pingback: Goat Cheese Red Pepper Tart | A Spicy Perspective

7. Pingback: Here Are The Yummiest Mushroom Dishes for You - From Lovers with Love