Saffron Rice with Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts

I’ve got a special treat for you today, a lovely Saffron Rice dish and a book release party!

In the last couple years, I’ve made some great friends within the blogging community. Individuals who’s heart, talent and friendship is something to be sought after. I feel very fortunate.

Saffron Rice with Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts #vegan #glutenfree #recipes Pin It

Today I’m celebrating with one of these friends, Faith Gorsky from An Edible Mosaic.

Faith has just released her first cookbook: An Edible Mosaic: Middle Eastern Fare with Extraordinary Flair.

This post is part of a virtual book launch party honoring all the time and effort Faith put into this marvelous book. Whoot!

An Edible Mosaic Book Cover

An Edible Mosaic: Middle Eastern Fare with Extraordinary Flair has over 100 Middle Eastern recipes, with many dishes from the Levant, and other areas of the Middle East.

As a newlywed,  Faith spent six months living in the Middle East, where she fell in love with the culture and cuisine.

After multiple return trips, Faith has become a “mother-in-law taught” expert on authentic regional Middle Eastern cuisine.

Easy Saffron Rice with Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts #vegan #glutenfree #recipes

She has brilliantly taken these traditional dishes and streamlined them for modern cooks.

Faith’s book is available to order on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

You can also visit Faith’s blog to check out her Virtual Book Launch Party, see the other bloggers participating, and enter a giveaway with fabulous prizes!

Gluten Free Saffron Rice with Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts #vegan #glutenfree #recipes

This healthy Saffron Rice Recipe with Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts is from Faith’s new book. It’s gluten free and vegan, although you could add protein to it easily. A aromatic dish, colored and scented with saffron! Faith suggests serving it with Middle Eastern Shrimp in Tomato Sauce (also in the book.)

This would also make a wonderful Gluten Free side dish for Thanksgiving!

For more Gluten Free Options online, search An Edible Mosaic or visit my friends at Udi’s Gluten Free Community for recipes, tips and support!

Yield: 6 servings

Saffron Rice with Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts

"ROZ MLOW’WAN" Recipe courtesy of An Edible Mosaic: Middle Eastern Fare with Extraordinary Flair by Faith Gorsky (Tuttle Publishing; Nov. 2012); reprinted with permission.

1½ cups (325 g) basmati rice, rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons pine nuts
1 onion, finely diced
4 tablespoons sultanas (golden raisins)
1¾ cups (425 ml) boiling water
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon saffron threads (or ½ teaspoon turmeric)

Soak the rice in tepid water for 10 minutes; drain. While the rice is soaking, put half a kettle of water on to boil.

Add the oil to a medium, thick-bottomed lidded saucepan over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and cook until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Transfer the pine nuts to a small bowl and set aside.

Add the onion to the saucepan you cooked the pine nuts in, and cook until softened and just starting to brown, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the rice and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the sultanas, boiling water, salt, and saffron (or turmeric), turn the heat up to high, and bring it to a rolling boil.

Give the rice a stir, then cover the saucepan, turn the heat down to very low, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes (do not open the lid during this time). Turn the heat off and let the rice sit (covered) 15 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle the toasted pine nuts on top; serve.

OPTIONAL Add two pods of cardamom, two whole cloves, and one 2-inch (5 cm) piece of cinnamon stick at the same time that you add the rice.

38 Responses to “Saffron Rice with Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — November 9, 2012 @ 6:22 am

This rice looks so fabulous! Love your photos. And I’m so excited for this cookbook!!

Letty — November 9, 2012 @ 6:25 am

Hi! I am visiting from Faith’s site, and I just love the little “nibbles and bits” of your site that I have perused. Your photography is AH-MAZING! I had better subscribe so that I don’t miss out!

• Sommer — November 9th, 2012 @ 7:48 am

Thanks Letty, I’m so glad you like ASP and am always happy to make new friend!

Jeanette — November 9, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Gorgeous photos Sommer – love the saffron threads running through the rice. I love Faith’s new cookbook – I’ve made a bunch of recipes from it already and everything has come out so good! I can’t wait to try this recipe and many more from An Edible Mosaic.

Brian @ A Thought For Food — November 9, 2012 @ 7:30 am

Just the kind of weeknight dish I love to make. Would probably serve it with stir-fried veggies and shrimp. Looks great Sommer!

Cindy Brickley — November 9, 2012 @ 7:30 am

I had bought “An Edible Mosaic Cookbook” and I love it. This Rice Dish will be served at my Thanksgiving dinner. Thank you so much for posting.

Andrea Masterson — November 9, 2012 @ 7:33 am

I am visiting from Faith’s site- looks like I’ve found another blog to read :-)

Bev @ Bev Cooks — November 9, 2012 @ 8:17 am

Yuuuuum! I loved it too! And now I miss it.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — November 9, 2012 @ 8:31 am

I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy of this cookbook. Middle Eastern is probably my favorite ethnic cuisine and everything I’ve heard about her new books sounds wonderful!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — November 9, 2012 @ 9:18 am

I love Middle Eastern food, but I’ve always been a little too intimidated to cook it. I definitely want to pick up this book–the rice looks fantastic!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — November 9, 2012 @ 10:39 am

Yaaaaay! So glad to see you were a part of Faith’s cookbook release party!! You did a wonderful job and your rice looks like it turned out fantastically!! You did a wonderful job with your photographs, too (as always!) I’m excited for Faith and can’t wait to make my way through her book one recipe at a time :)

Paula - bell'alimento — November 9, 2012 @ 11:30 am

That rice looks amazing. I’m a sucker for saffron.

Lori Lynn — November 9, 2012 @ 12:05 pm

Faith’s recipe rocks! It is such a pleasure to support her.
    Your photos are gorgeous Sommer!
    LL

Kristen M. — November 9, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

Great looking recipe. I love middle eastern dishes, especially the spices.

Chris — November 9, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

The book cover is exquisite. Congratulations Faith!
    I love MiddleEastern cuisine. It is so healthy, tasty and diversified that we should incorporate more of these dishes into our home menus! Thank you Faith and thank you Sommer.

Kim - Liv Life — November 9, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

Isn’t the launch fun?? I’m really enjoying seeing everyone’s versions of Faith’s dish. Love your photos. The golden hue of that staffron rice really is lovely!

Erika — November 9, 2012 @ 3:25 pm

Beautiful photos as always!!! I’ve always loved Faith’s blog.. I know her book will be just as amazing.

Cassie | Bake Your Day — November 9, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

This is gorgeous rice. I can practically taste the saffron right now. Soooo good!

MaryMoh — November 9, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

Beautiful rice….love it!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — November 9, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

What a great book! I have seen several recipes from other sites using Faith’s cookbook! I have to check it out on Amazon!! The rice dish looks amazing!!

Belinda @zomppa — November 9, 2012 @ 6:10 pm

Loving everyone’s versions of this most favorite dish!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — November 9, 2012 @ 8:40 pm

this looks amazing! I love this flavor combination!

Faith — November 9, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

Thank you so much for your beautiful post, Sommer! I am truly honored to have you participating. xo

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 10, 2012 @ 2:07 am

Amazing! I love those bright little raisins scattered through out!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — November 10, 2012 @ 6:22 am

I love seeing all of these amazing recipes :) Looks so comforting!!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — November 10, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

Your rice looks beautiful, I need to try it!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — November 10, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

Your rice looks lovely! I love the little strands of saffron! I used turmeric in mine, it’s interesting to see the difference. I think I need to try the rice again the other way :D

angela@spinachtiger — November 10, 2012 @ 2:11 pm

Great to see Faith have such support. You did justice to the recipe. Looks good.

MIss @ Miss in the Kitchen — November 10, 2012 @ 10:31 pm

I have been eyeing this cookbook and what gorgeous photos Sommer!

Jean | Lemons & Anchovies — November 11, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

Such pretty pictures of Faith’s delicious saffron rice dish. I think all of us lucky enough to get an early copy of the recipe really enjoyed it. Your version looks great, Sommer. :)

JulieD — November 12, 2012 @ 10:24 am

I love love this, Sommer! Looks so good and the cookbook looks awesome!

The Food Hound — November 12, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

I saw this pic on your FB page and had to check it out! I have a jar of saffron just begging to be used. I love the option of all the added spices, too. I gotta get this cookbook!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — November 13, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

Gorgeous dish, Sommer. Mmmmm…I love golden raisins and pine nuts!

Amy Tong — November 14, 2012 @ 2:04 am

This is truly an amazing recipe. Can’t wait to check out other recipes in the book! :)

Rachel @ Bakerita — November 14, 2012 @ 11:40 am

Looks amazing! Growing up, my best friend’s family was from Iran, and her mom would always make us saffron rice with pine nuts and raisins, and it was always my favorite. I would eat so much of it! Sooo delicious. Can’t wait to try this recipe.

1. Pingback: best 10 pine nut recipes | Nuts & Oils