Peppermint Creme Brulee Recipe
Two things that make me really happy around the holidays are peppermint and an ultra creamy creme brulee recipe. This easy peppermint creme brulee recipe with a candy cane top is just the thing to usher in the holiday spirit!
My first memory of eating creme brulee was 18 years ago when I had just started dating Lt. Dan.
He took me to a steak house we both thought was extremely elegant at that time. After an enormous meal, he picked up the dessert menu and said, “I don’t care how full we are, we have to order the creme brulee here.”
I didn’t know what creme brulee was, but the way he talked about it made me weak with curiosity.
When the little dish was placed on the table, Dan looked up at me with a twinkle in his eyes and said, “Now watch this.” He gently tapped the glassy top on the custard and the caramelized sugar cracked open, revealing a delicate vanilla custard underneath.
That was the moment I realized I was in love…
With creme brulee.
And possibly with Dan.
Anyone who could introduce me to such a glorious little treat was bound to be full of surprises.
This easy creme brulee incorporates my favorite creme brulee recipe and my favorite holiday flavor, peppermint. (And was made for my favorite guy.)
Today’s Seasonal Seven Recipe is fabulous for holiday dinner parties because it’s easy to prepare, can be made days in advance, offers subtle elegance, and festive flavors.
I used McCormick Peppermint and Vanilla Extract to add depth to the Peppermint Creme Brulee Recipe, then crushed peppermint candy canes to sprinkle over the top.
Bruleeing the candy cane powder creates a toasted stained-glass surface that shatters into the creamy goodness below, when tapped.
Prep Time: 20 minutes + 4 1/2 hours chill time
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Peppermint Creme Brulee Recipe
- 3 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Pinch of salt
- 5 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- butter for dishes
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter 6 - 6 oz. ramekins or 10 - 4 oz. ramekins. Place the ramekins all in a large rimmed baking dish.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar, vanilla, peppermint extract and salt. Then pour the cream into a separate microwave-safe bowl and microwave until it simmers. Whisk the egg mixture FEVERISHLY, and slowly pour the hot cream into the egg. POUR SLOWLY to ensure you don't scramble your eggs. Then evenly distribute the finished mixture among the prepared ramekins.
- Carefully pour hot water around the ramekins in the baking dish about half way up the sides, then place in the oven.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes--closer to 35 for smaller ramekins and 40-45 minutes for larger ramekins. The edges should be firm and the very center should jiggle just a little. Remove from the oven and cool until easy to handle. Then cover the tops with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours, but up to a week.
- One hour before serving, crush the candy canes in a food processor or blender, and sprinkle the candy cane powder over the top of each custard.
- Using a brulee torch, caramelize the top of each custard, then place them back in the fridge for at least twenty minutes to harden. *If you don't have a brulee torch, you can place the whole tray of ramekins under the broiler to brulee the top. Make sure it is fiery hot when you put them in, and DON'T TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THEM FOR A SECOND. If the broiler is hot enough, this should take less than a minute.
More Peppermint Treats:
SUBSCRIBE below to receive new recipes by email + Our FREE eCookbook Top 25 Recipes!
34 Responses to “Peppermint Creme Brulee Recipe”
Pingback: Peppermint Creme Brulee from A Spicy Perspective | daily-pins.com
Pingback: Perfect Creme Brulee Recipes | For Women
Pingback: The Peppermintini | A Spicy Perspective
Pingback: 15 Unique Creme Brulee Recipes
Pingback: Peppermint Dessert Recipes That’ll Make All Your Holiday Stress Disappear | Gymrat Fitness