Most pumpkin soup recipes are loaded with cream, but this Spicy Pumpkin Soup is a healthy soup recipe, bold and rich with southwest flavor. It can easily be made gluten free and/or vegan, and is a comfort to the soul.
Life has many high points, but here and there we stumble into dark valleys, filled with trials and defeat.
It’s human nature to not want to think about hard times. When they come, we feel alone, believing that everyone has it easy. Everyone except for us.
Learning to walk through the hard times with grace, is like planting a seed of maturity and true joy in your life. Weathering the hard times well, builds a deeper appreciation for the little blessings along the way.
The most valuable life lessons aren’t learned while we are winning, but as we fall on our faces.
To walk through trials with grace and confidence, trains us to be grateful, to bounce back faster, and to not repeat previous mistakes.
What does this have to do with soup?
Soup, my friends, is healing. It quiets your soul and relaxes your body.
A good bowl of soup can be as comforting as a silent prayer.
A warm blanket.
A letter from a friend.
Often, it’s the little things, that help us get through the big things. I’ve had moments when it felt like a hearty bowl of soup, was the only thing I had going for me.
Yet learning to appreciate small comforts in the humble moments of life, makes the high points so much more memorable.
I love this particular pumpkin soup recipe because it’s rich and zesty with deep earthy undertones. Strong southwest flavors of onion, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, and oregano mingle with the savory-sweet pumpkin, to create a rustic soup, hearty enough to be a stand-alone meal.
Plus it happens to be a healthy pumpkin soup recipe. This spicy pumpkin soup could be made gluten-free and vegan, without lacking any flavor. Adding pureed white beans, creates a creamy texture and thickness in this pumpkin soup recipe, without the addition of cream.
Each bowl of spicy pumpkin soup is sprinkled with crunchy toasted pepitas and french fried onions, for contrast in texture.
A hearty bowl of pumpkin soup will certainly lift your spirits.
Spicy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
For the Spicy Pumpkin Soup:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 29 ounces can pure pumpkin puree
- 15 ounces can white beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
For the Toasted Pepita Topping:
- Place a large sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil, onion, garlic and jalapenos. Saute for 3-5 minutes until soft. Stir in the cumin, oregano and salt. Saute another 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, pumpkin puree and beans to the pot. Simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered. Then add the vinegar and honey and simmer another 3-5 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. *You can also use a regular blender, but be careful! Open the vent in the lid and place a towel over it to protect from hot splashing liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the pepitas and onions out on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with a dash or two of cayenne pepper and a little salt. Toast for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve the soup warm, sprinkled with toasted pepitas and onions.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
For more inspiring soup recipes visit my Simmering Soups Pinterest Board.
Love our recipes? Subscribe via email, so you never miss one!
We respect your email box and privacy. Only one email is sent per week, and we never share/sell our email list. Join us below, to get a weekly recipe update + a free downloadable ebook with our top 25 most popular recipes!