Spooky Worm and Spider Nests

Halloween Jello Worm and Spider Nest Treats | ASpicyPerspective.com #Halloween #KidFriendly #Jello

Nothing says creepy like a Halloween dessert filled with spider and worm eggs. This simple Halloween Jello Spider Treat is a disgustingly charming way to ring in the spirit of BOO!

The more menacing a Halloween Dessert looks, the more my kids love it!

Around here, I think of the grossest, most disturbing things, like a nest with thousands of tiny spiders hatching out of eggs, make a treat out of it, and win the mommy of the year award.

It’s twisted.

Halloween Dessert: Worm and Spider Nest Treats | ASpicyPerspective.com #Halloween #KidFriendly #JelloPin It

These Halloween Jello Treats are rated top-notch by my nine and seven year old this year.

After all, what kid doesn’t like Jello and gummy worms?

Large tapioca pearls make this repellent Worm and Spider Treat a real show-stopper.

Spider Treat | ASpicyPerspective.com #Halloween #KidFriendly #Jello

Simply, soak the tapioca overnight as instructed on the package. Choose Halloween jello colors and prepare the jello according to the package instructions.

How to make Halloween Dessert | ASpicyPerspective.com #Halloween #KidFriendly #Jello

Placed gummy worms and spiders in the bottoms of small cups.

How to make Halloween Worm and Spider Nest Treats | ASpicyPerspective.com #Halloween #KidFriendly #Jello

Spoon tapioca over the critters and pour the liquid jello over the top.

Halloween Jello | ASpicyPerspective.com #Halloween #KidFriendly #Jello

Refrigerate. Un-mold. Serve.

Halloween Jello Spider Treat | ASpicyPerspective.com #Halloween #KidFriendly #Jello

A jiggling worm and spider treat that is both creepy and creative!

Halloween Jello Treats | ASpicyPerspective.com #Halloween #KidFriendly #Jello

Tons of spooky fun for very little work.

In fact, this Halloween dessert is really more of a food craft, than a recipe. But who cares as long as the little goblins are enjoying it!

Yield: 12 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes active time

Halloween Dessert Spider Treat

Halloween Jello worm and spider nests.

2 - small boxes of jello (green and purple)
1 - 7 oz. package of large pearl tapioca
1 package gummy worms
plastic or candy spiders (if plastic, make sure they are food safe)

Soak the tapioca in water overnight according the the package instructions. Drain.

Prepare the boxes of jello in two separate containers, according to the package instructions.

Place 2-3 gummy worms or spiders in the bottom of 10-12 small cups.

Spoon the tapioca pearls over the worms and spiders evenly.

Carefully pour the jello over the tapioca. Pour the green over 5-6 cups and the purple over the remaining 5-6 cups.

Move to the refrigerator and chill to set, 1-2 hours until set.

To un-mold, run a sharp knife around the rim of each jello cup. Set the bottoms of the jello cups in a tray of hot water for 30+ seconds. Flip onto a plate.

More Ghoulish Treats:

Creepy Cake Truffles

Spooky Bark

Pumpkin Snap Milkshakes

Melted Witch Push Up Pops ~ Cookies and Cups

Spider Cakes ~ Not Martha

Spider Peanut Butter Blossoms ~ Confessions of a Cookbook Queen

51 Responses to “Spooky Worm and Spider Nests”

Belinda @zomppa — October 10, 2012 @ 4:06 am

That is so fun!! It’s awesome for ANY age!!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — October 10, 2012 @ 5:17 am

Umm, that creeped me out, Sommer. You absolutely WIN at creating the coolest, creepiest, neatest Halloween food and treats. Your house has to be amazing for Halloween!

DessertForTwo — October 10, 2012 @ 5:46 am

Soooo creepy! I love it! :)

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty — October 10, 2012 @ 6:21 am

That literally just gave me chills! Uggghhhhh, I hate spiders. This – especially the tapioca eggs – is pretty dang brilliant for Halloween. And now I close this window, stat. ;)

shelly (cookies and cups) — October 10, 2012 @ 7:02 am

Those look totally gross, which means my kids will LOVE it!

marla — October 10, 2012 @ 7:27 am

Spooky, FUN and whimsical ~ loving your Halloween treats!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — October 10, 2012 @ 8:20 am

This is so gross, but in the best way. I love the tapioca pearl spider eggs. This is awesome!

Cassie — October 10, 2012 @ 8:44 am

I can imagine my nephews would have a blast with these. Too cute!!

Monet — October 10, 2012 @ 8:47 am

Another totally gross and totally fun Halloween dessert! Thank you for sharing. What a wonderful start to my Wednesday. I hope your day is full of good food and laughter. We need more of both in this world!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — October 10, 2012 @ 10:47 am

Those are really gross. Like in a good way.

Brian — October 10, 2012 @ 11:24 am

So creepy! My mom would hate these if I ever showed up with them… She has an irrational fear of all things resembling spiders

Kate@Diethood — October 10, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

I think you like Halloween. ;-) I am loving your creations!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — October 10, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

Seriously, these are soooo creepy! I love it!!

Colette @ JFF! — October 10, 2012 @ 1:28 pm

I’m promoting this as another fun one to do w the kids!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — October 10, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

Such a creative idea, Sommer! Kids would go crazy over these for Halloween!

Aldy @ Al Dente Gourmet — October 10, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

Loving your spooky Halloween treats :)

Hugs <3

Ashley — October 10, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

haha this is actually REALLY creepy looking. Well done!!!

Anita at Hungry Couple — October 10, 2012 @ 3:41 pm

Creepy! I like it. :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 10, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

These totally look gross and scary! I love it! Perfect for Halloween! I don’t like anything that has spiders, gives me the creeps! I have to make this! :)

Liz — October 10, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

So cute! Now I wish (only a little bit ;)) that I still had little kids! Such a fun idea~

carolinaheartstrings — October 10, 2012 @ 6:26 pm

That is so awesome. I love it. You are so creative. Stop by. We are having a wonderful giveaway this week that I think you will love.

Elizabeth @Food Ramblings — October 10, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

These look AWESOME! I don’t know if I would eat them…j/k!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — October 10, 2012 @ 6:53 pm

Creeeepy!! lol

Jehancancook — October 10, 2012 @ 8:05 pm

Whoa…no thank you but it is quite festive! I’m too afraid to eat it lol

Toni | Boulder Locavore — October 10, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

You are too much! I have a subscription to your blog which did not deliver this (I think it was just too scary!) but was riveted when seeing it on Tastespotting suspecting it was YOU! Fantastically whimsical and completely creepy. You my dear are a holiday treat visionary!

Kelly Senyei (Just a Taste) — October 11, 2012 @ 7:21 am

GENIUS! I absolutely love this idea and spotted your critters on TasteSpotting :)

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — October 11, 2012 @ 7:26 am

The tapioca pearls are a stroke of genius. I would have been all over these when I was a kid!

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — October 11, 2012 @ 9:03 am

Brilliant! And yet extremely creepy and I don’t know if I want that in my house… but BRILLIANT!! ;)

Jen @ Savory SImple — October 11, 2012 @ 10:41 am

Ha, this is so clever!

Valentina @ The Baking Fairy — October 11, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

Oh my goodness! These are crazy… and so gross! I have an irrational disgust towards spiders, so I don’t think I could get over it and eat the tapioca bug eggs haha :) But I am sure my nanny kids would love them! Thanks for sharing. :)

Angie — October 11, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

Adorable!

Magda — October 11, 2012 @ 4:06 pm

Hello :) My daughter would love this, I can see that Halloween approaches :) What an idea, I am really surprised :)

Kari@Loaves and Dishes — October 11, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

This dessert really is spooky, creepy, gross, everything that kids love! Very creative.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — October 11, 2012 @ 10:43 pm

Oh my, that looks creepy and so appropriate for Halloween ;)

Jeanette — October 12, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

What a fun idea using tapioca!

1. Pingback: The ULTIMATE Halloween Spooktacular Roundup!! | The Domestic Rebel

2. Pingback: 15 Kid-Friendly Halloween Treats! - A Sweet Baker

3. Pingback: 50 Halloween Treats

4. Pingback: 24 Cute and Yummy Halloween Treats | Not So Idle Hands

5. Pingback: 5 Deliciously Creep Halloween Recipes « The New 103.7 – Charlotte's Home For Country's Hottest Hits

6. Pingback: 5 Deliciously Creep Halloween Recipes « Kiss 95.1 – Charlotte’s #1 Hit Music Station

7. Pingback: 5 Deliciously Creep Halloween Recipes « K 104.7 FM

8. Pingback: Gross Out Your Guests

9. Pingback: 5 Deliciously Creepy Halloween Recipes « BUZ'N @ 102.9 – New BUZ'N Country

10. Pingback: 5 Deliciously Creepy Halloween Recipes « 104.1 Jack FM

11. Pingback: 28 Creepy Treats Perfect For Halloween | TokNok Multi Social Blogging Solutions

12. Pingback: 10 Spooky Halloween Desserts | UrbanMoms