Football season wouldn’t be football season, without a few hearty snacks to go along with it. Today I’ve combined two of the most comforting dishes I know, Baked Potato Skins and traditional Baked Mac and Cheese into one glorious meal! Introducing our Baked Potato Skins Mac and Cheese Recipe.
No, this is not overkill. I promise it’s not.
If you are going to take the time to make homemade baked Mac and Cheese with fresh creamy cheese sauce, you need a killer crust to top it. And what better “crust” than a cheesy potato skins recipe?
You can’t argue with that.
It all started with a bag of the cutest baby golden potatoes.
They were just begging to be turned into something extravagant. Something with a bit of wow-factor.
So I roasted them, halved them, scooped out most of the flesh, and brushed them with oil. Then I gave each tiny potato skin a little kiss of cream cheese.
Rich savory cheese sauce made with more cream cheese, cheddar, and sour cream, replicates the flavors in a baked potato skins recipe.
Then stir in cooked macaroni, crumbled bacon and green onions.
Finally sprinkle the leftover bits of golden potato over the top, arrange the potato skins, and sprinkle with even more cheese.
Bake and sigh…
You want this. You really want this.
And after months of light healthy summer meals, this is the time to splurge a little on this Baked Potato Skins Mac and Cheese Recipe.
Baked Potato Skins Mac and Cheese Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:50 minutes (35 minutes for creamy mac and cheese using the broiler)
- 24 ounces baby golden potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/3 pounds shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 10 ounces cream cheese, divided
- 12 ounces bacon, fried and crumbled, divided
- 1 cup chopped green onions, divided
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil. Salt and pepper liberally and shake the pan a little to coat them with oil. Roast for 30 minutes, or until cooked through. Then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in a large pot of salted water, according to package instructions. Drain and set aside in a colander.
- Using the same pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once melted whisk in the flour and cook the roux (butter-flour mixture) for 1 minute. Then whisk in the milk and add the sour cream and 8 oz cream cheese. Bring to a simmer and whisk until the mixture is thick and smooth. Add 1 lb shredded cheddar and whisk until smooth. Then add a dash or two of cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the cooked macaroni, 2/3 cup crumbled bacon, and 2/3 cup green onions into the cheese sauce. Stir to coat. Pour the macaroni into a 9X13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- For the potato skins recipe: Preheat the oven to Broil. Cut each potato in half lengthwise. carefully scoop of most of the flesh, leaving just a little potato attached to the skin. Reserve the crumbled potato flesh.
- Brush the potato skins with oil. With the remaining 2 oz. of cream cheese, place a scant 1/2 tsp dollop of cream cheese in each potato skin.
- Sprinkle the crumbled potato over the mac and cheese. Then arrange the potato skins over the top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 lb. shredded cheddar over the potato skins and add pepper to taste.
- For creamy baked mac and cheese, place the baked mac and cheese in the oven under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, watch carefully. You want the cheese to melt and the tops to toast, but not burn. For more a traditional "firm" baked mac and cheese recipe, turn the oven to 400 degrees, and bake for 20 minutes until the tops are golden. Once out of the oven, sprinkle the remaining green onions and bacon over the top and serve warm.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
More Cozy Pasta Dishes:
Creamy Avocado Pasta ~ The Comfort of Cooking
Cheesy Chicken Southwest Pasta Casserole ~ Lauren’s Latest
Broccoli Mac and Cheese ~ White on Rice