A Bento Addiction

Bento Boxes | ASpicyPerspective.com

There is a new craze in my house. My kids are headed back to school this morning and are proudly toting Bento Boxes.

These compact Japanese style lunch boxes are almost all they can think about…

Who else will have one?

What ingredients should we buy for filling the bentos?

How will they “design” their lunch each day to look special?

It’s a lot to ponder for a 9 and 7 year old.

Bento Box | ASpicyPerspective.comPin It

Although their bento addiction is a little over-the-top at the moment, Lt. Dan and I have determined it is a good thing. Traditionally bento boxes are filled with lean protein, rice or noodles, fruit, and veggies, often raw.

That sure beats PB & J every day, with potato chips and a cookie.

Bento Lunch Boxes | ASpicyPerspective.com

We eat very healthy about 90% of the time, but in the past, school lunches have been a grey area. There are just so many “convenience” options that have great marketing tactics, yet when you flip the package, are loaded with junk, junk and more junk.

The fact that my kids are asking for red cabbage and bean sprouts to improve their bento designs can only be positive.

Japanese Bento Boxes | ASpicyPerspective.comDesigned by Ava, age 9.

Reasons for Startinging a Bento Addiction:

• Bento Boxes tend to be small, encouraging healthy portion sizes.
  • Bento designing promotes healthier food choices.
  • Bento designing is a creative outlet.
  • It’s fun for kids to pack their own lunches.
  • Bento packing and cleaning builds personal responsibility.
  • Bentos are earth-friendly, cutting down on plastic baggies.

Japanese Bento Lunch Boxes | ASpicyPerspective.comDesigned by Carson, Age 7.

Our current plan is to make time each night for the kids to pack their own bento boxes and place them in the fridge. This will save time in the morning, make them feel proud of what they’ve made each day, and allow the ever-present mommy guilt to subside a bit in the lunch department.

It’s a win-win.

Kids Bento Boxes | ASpicyPerspective.com

Get ideas for bento box packing on my latest Pinterest Board, The Bento Box.

You can buy all sorts of unique bento boxes online, but the best prices I’ve found are at your local Asian market and at World Market Stores. They tend to sell bentos and tiffins (metal Indian lunch canisters) for $5-10.

44 Responses to “A Bento Addiction”

Brian @ A Thought For Food — August 22, 2012 @ 6:22 am

I love those boxes… I kind of have a thing for little compartments. Love the idea that you’re teaching kids about portion control with these.

shelly (cookies and cups) — August 22, 2012 @ 6:37 am

I love these Bento Boxes! I am so going to get a few for my kids this school year!

Paula - bell'alimento — August 22, 2012 @ 7:17 am

We’re gearing up for back to school next week! I’ll be packing ours soon! World Market DOES have a fantastic selection (not that I’m there more than once a week now or anything ; ) xoxo

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — August 22, 2012 @ 8:57 am

I went to Japan a few years ago and I came home with about a dozen bento boxes & accessories and I never use them. I really need to start–I love that the lunches you made in them are fun, but completely doable. Because as much as I would love to make Hello Kitty out of rice and seaweed, it’s so not happening. :)

marla — August 22, 2012 @ 9:08 am

I LOVE this lunch box post!! Such helpful and great tips on packing bentos.

Myra of Mommy+Me Lunchbox — August 22, 2012 @ 9:14 am

Great post. Where did you get the colored containers for the Lock&Lock container?

• Sommer — August 22nd, 2012 @ 9:32 am

Myra, that was in the bento section of my local Asian foods store. It came with the clear box and the four colored squares, all for $5.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — August 22, 2012 @ 9:49 am

Such a cute idea, and a perfect way to involve your kids in the lunch process!

Kari M — August 22, 2012 @ 9:54 am

I love the animal chopsticks! They’re so cute. I’d love to get some for my daughter, do you know where you got them from?

• Sommer — August 22nd, 2012 @ 11:35 am

Hey Kari, you can order them on Amazon. :)

Lindsay — August 22, 2012 @ 10:57 am

I love bento – I grew up in Tokyo, so it always baffles me that people haven’t hopped on the bandwagon more here!

I love your blog, and I nominated you for an award. Check out here! http://funnyloveblog.com/2012/08/22/one-lovely-blog-award-thanks/

• Sommer — August 22nd, 2012 @ 11:44 am

Thanks friend, that’s so kind!

Amy Tong — August 22, 2012 @ 11:31 am

Oh yeah. I love having the kids pack their own lunches. That way, they know what’s in there and they are more likely to finish it up as well. :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious — August 22, 2012 @ 11:53 am

Oh my gosh – I love these! I think they would be great for my own lunch — I’m always scrambling around to find enough Tupperware (my husband’s a hoarder LOL) and I love that they can act as a form of portion control. Going online shopping right now :D

Chrissy — August 22, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

These are adorable little Bento box ingredients. I love them! I want to pack my lunches and snacks in Bento Boxes, but I know that I won’t feel like washing the extra pieces…

Angie — August 22, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

I’ve never bought bento boxes, but they sure are cute. Maybe it would make my son eat all his lunch more often.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — August 22, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

These little boxes are becoming a big thing! I should get one of these for my work lunches! It’s a great idea!! I love your post today!!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — August 22, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

So cute! I might need one for work :)

Mariah — August 22, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

Can you give us a web address for where to buy these, preferably in an earth-friendly version that will keep the things inside COLD? Thank you!

• Sommer — August 22nd, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

Hey Mariah, I mentioned at the end of the post that these were purchased locally at a little Asian food store and World Market for $5-10. You can buy them online on Amazon, BentoUSA.com and LaptopLunches.com, but they are a bit more expensive.

…Whole Foods has the laptop style bentos right now for back-to-school. They run around $30.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — August 22, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

these are so fun!!

Cassie — August 22, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

I am always so intrigued by these, and what a fun way to get the kids involved in packing lunches! I have loved following your Bento Box Pins too!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — August 22, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

A very cute way to make school lunches fun and get kids interested in food. I wish I had these when I was growing up!

Bonnie K — August 22, 2012 @ 3:41 pm

I wished I had one when I was in school. I did have a cute lunch box, though.

Monet — August 22, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

Bento boxes are wonderful…and I have fallen into a habit myself. My best friend from Japan sent me one two years ago, and I bring it to lunch almost everyday of the year! I loved seeing all the yummy treats and eats you packed in these…great stuff, my friend!

Belinda @zomppa — August 22, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

Think your kids are going to extremely popular at lunchtime!

Lisa | With Style and Grace — August 22, 2012 @ 7:08 pm

These are so great!! I love all the different compartments and lunch ideas!

Allison — August 22, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

Bento sounds really cool but my kids will eat at least twice as much food as I ever see in a bento box for their lunch. No they’re not overweight, they are just active little boys and burn a lot of calories. Does the bento box satisfy? Do you pack more than one?

• Lisa — July 20th, 2014 @ 3:54 am

I have a couple different sizes, so yes, I sometimes send more than one box. And sometimes its to separate moist food from crackers and sammies so they dont get damp. Some boxes have two tiers and there are ones that hold up to 500 ml. They are completely customizeable to whatever your children like. :)

Kate — August 23, 2012 @ 6:19 am

My kids go back in a couple of weeks. These are adorable. Great ideas for those picky eaters.

Carolyn — August 23, 2012 @ 6:31 am

Sure makes lunch time a lot more special for little kids! Love them.

Jen @ Savory SImple — August 23, 2012 @ 6:36 am

I have always loved bento! If it have kids they will definitely be getting these beautiful lunches. I love how bento makes healthy food fun.

Kate@Diethood — August 23, 2012 @ 8:06 am

I’m sold! I want one for myself and one for the preschooler .. I hope she will fill it with something other than an Oreo. :/

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — August 23, 2012 @ 10:24 am

YES! We have converted to Bento Boxes for our school lunches this year, and they are AMAZING! I love your boxes, we use Easy Lunch Boxes that you can buy on Amazon. My kids absolutely love their lunches this year, and I actually enjoy making them! I am going to do a post soon about a weeks worth of Bento Lunches! So fun!

Aggie — August 23, 2012 @ 11:00 am

Loving every single thing about these! We have been going bento style this year and it’s been great. I’m not very creative, but am getting lots of ideas. Love those silicone muffin cups for extra compartments!

Jersey girl cooks — August 23, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

Love, love, love this! Great ideas! I am heading to buy some bento boxes online tonite. My daughter never wants a sandwich so she will love this.

Diane {Created by Diane} — August 24, 2012 @ 9:14 am

I just LOVE all the compartments in these, maybe I’ll have to start packing my lunch in them they are so cute!

Ilke — August 26, 2012 @ 5:43 pm

I need to get one of these. I love the size and compartments. I get hungry often at work and I put my snacks in small ziplocks. Things tend to get mushy though :) World Market is one of my favorite places to shop so I don’t mind stopping by there after work :)

Aleigha — August 26, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

Ummmm, yeah…kind of noticed your bento addiction on Pinterest ;) and I love it!!! Looking forward to making school lunches in another couple of weeks. Thanks for all the ideas!

JulieD — August 26, 2012 @ 9:37 pm

These are so cute!!

vianney — August 28, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

I love this idea Sommer! and having the kids create their own each evening is such a great experience! too cute~

Jeanette — August 29, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

Bento boxes are such a fun way to get kids to eat a variety of healthy foods – great pics!

Becka @ Just a Bunch of Momsense — September 4, 2012 @ 10:44 am

Love this post about bento lunches! I just got a similar square bento box by Kinetics, and packed it for the first time this morning! So fun! :D

Nina — August 23, 2013 @ 6:39 pm

These Bento Boxes are fantastic. Have been helping with my niece regarding a more healthy way of eating along with portion control. These boxes would certainly bring the point across in a positive manner, not counting she would have the coolest lunch at school. That alone encourages a more positive dining outlook.